“Good value, well located”

Windsor Florida Hotel
Ranked #34 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We looked for a suitable hotel for our stay in Rio de Janeiro during the World Cup. This one was well priced, not price gouging like so many around Rio. It is excellently located in the Catete Bario, next to Flamengo. Given the reputation that Rio de Janeiro has for some less than safe neighborhoods we were delighted to find this hotel on a side street just off the main Rua do Catete. The Catete metro station was about 50 m from the hotel and the main Largo do Machado about five minutes walk down the street.
We used the metro and the numerous bus lines to get around the city, to visit Corcovado - where the large statue of Christ is located, Ipanema, Copacabana, and the Jardim Botanico.
The room was well appointed, clean, ample hot water and quiet, even though in the middle of the big city.
On top was a small, but clean swimming pool area with an adjacent bar.
The restaurant was very large and quite busy at breakfast time. The breakfast, included with the room tariff, was well stocked with a wide range of fruit and pastries and cereals and just about everything you could want.
In room WiFi was excellent. It was speedy, reliable, and supported regular and VPN access to the internet at large. Also provided in the room was a safe large enough to accommodate laptops and tablets while you are away sightseeing.
The only thing missing was any appreciable lobby seating or meeting. The bar was just a few tables gathered in the corner, but give we were in the heart of a neighborhood in the city that presented no issue as we were able to stroll out into the locale and enjoy the hustle and bustle of Rio, and feel completely safe.
If I visit Rio again I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel. It rates as top value for the money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We ended up going to Rio last minute while in Brazil for The World Cup. The pricing per night was around $450 USD which is crazy for what we got. But, it was during the World Cup, so I understand that prices were inflated.

The first room we were shown was teeny tiny and smelled like an overuse of floral deodorant to cover up the smell of cigarettes. I explained to them that we didn't want to stay in there and we were given another room with a bit more space. It was an average room. We were there for just 2 nights and spent most of our time out of the room so it wasn't too bad.

The location is not great. I would personally stay in Barra, Ipanema, Leblon or Copacabana. However, it is right across the street from the Metro so getting to Ipanema and Copacabana was very easy.

The customer service there is not great. We went diving one morning and we had to leave at 6:00 AM. We grabbed some fruit for breakfast and put it on a plate. They chased us out of the hotel asking about the plate. You'd think we were running out with their register. We also asked for more towels and they made us give a dirty towel for a clean towel. It was just odd. Lastly, I asked for a sewing kit 4 times and they never brought it to us. Their response was I already asked for you. Sounded rude, but it could have been a language barrier. All and all the customer service was lacking.

This hotel is "fine" but not a place I would want to stay again. There are better properties out there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joannabrooke7h
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Last weekend spent the weekend at the Windsor Florida hotel in Rio. We were a group of friends visiting and stayed for two nights. The hotel is an ok 3 star property in a residential part of Rio (quite far away from beaches etc.). The hotel rooms are very simple but in reasonable condition (newly painted, new TV's, super noisy air condition, hard beds, no lights other than the one light in the ceiling) and the breakfast is very basic.

The stay was ok in principle, but at checkout it all went wrong. I spoke to Mr Braz at reception and mentioned that I needed to pay for a Coke Zero and a bag of peanuts that I had taken in the minibar in the room. I was informed that I would have to wait a while as someone would have to inspect the room first to confirm that what is was telling was correct. As we were in a rush to get on a city tour I mentioned to Mr Braz that I needed to pay now but would return to pick up my suitcase later on. Mr Braz then informed me that in case I had a problem with this procedure he could easily call the police to settle the matter. I must say I was somewhat surprised at this very rude response and I have never experienced that a hotel suggests they would call the police when a customer is keen to pay for the use of the minibar!!! In the end Mr Braz printed off the hotel invoice with only the Coke Zero on the invoice, and when I said that I also needed to pay for the peanuts, Mr Braz clearly got very annoyed and said that due to this it would take even longer to check me out. A weird comment given that I was a customer keen to pay for what I had consumed in the minibar. Unfortunately, this was also a very negative end to my trip and I must say this rude and unprofessional service will stay in my memory.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Frequenttravele
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Staying here for business. This hotel has been remodeled and expanded recently. Top service. Very clean, modern and it has an amazing complimentary breakfast. It's in the "cateto" area, close to beaches and lots of attractions. I would recommend it to anyone either on business or pleasure.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have rated this hotel as very good, but I actually feel it is somewhere between average and very good, like a 3.5!

The hotel itself is good, staff are friendly, some speak English, rooms were large and clean, beds comfortable and the pool although small was clean with a nice view of Corcovo from the rooftop.

Breakfast was great and we enjoyed a few drinks at the rooftop bar and in the lobby bar each night. Joao (?) the barman in the lobby was lovely and although we spoke no Portuguese (other than obrigada) and he spoke very limited English, he managed to entertain us anyway and was always ready with a wave or a smile as we passed through the lobby.

We were in Rio for Carnival so hotel pickings were slim but we were happy with the Windsor Florida. The location was not ideal for tourists as we needed to walk some distance to find restaurants and this can be pretty dangerous in Rio at night. Public transport is restricted at this time and due to traffic congestion (2.7mill tourists land in Rio for Carnival each year) it is very slow to get around. Many roads close for Bloca parties! We hired pushbikes on the beach at Flamengo (only available sundays) and rode the bike tracks to all the beaches following the coastline. This was great! The push bikes you see around town require a mobile phone to release them from the stand, not great for tourists. A number of people approached us about our bikes so I think it was a real find!

All in all the hotel and staff were great, it would have just been preferable to be closer to Copacabana or Ipanema as a tourist.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Arrived late evening on a Friday, and had selected a superior room.. We were shown to a very basic room. We queried whether this was truly the room we had paid for with reception, and at first they insisted it was, but after a long conversation amongst themselves gave us keys to another room which they said was a free upgrade to a suite. The breakfast in the hotel was very good and overall the room was very comfortable, however, we cancelled the booking we had made for our return to Rio two weeks later as we couldn't face another room negotiation.

Room Tip: With any room, take a photo with you of what you think you have booked...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Our flight landed from the USA at 9am so we arrived at the hotel approximately 1030. Checkin usually isn't until 2pm, so we hung out at the rooftop pool until they could accommodate us. They also gave us a temporary wifi password in the meantime which was nice. At about noon, they were able to give us a room for early checkin. Our room was on the 7th floor with a view of the inside of the hotel and construction to the right. Not much to see. Our king sized bed was nice and clean but too firm for my liking. Pillows were flat and could have been fluffier. Bathroom is also very clean. There is an in room safe and mini bar. The hotel also offers complimentary wifi for their guests and a breakfast buffet which is good. There is also a small fitness center for those inclined to keep fit. The hotel is also located within walking distance of restaurants, shops, the subway station, bars, nightlife and the locals Flamengo Beach. We booked this hotel for only 2 nights, which gave us a chance to squeeze in some city life before transferring to our resort in Copacabana. My only complaint is that our room was located right next to the construction zone so it was quite noisy during the day. Not good if you are trying to take a nap after a long flight. Also the construction work woke us up at 7am every day.

Stayed: April 2014