“Great location but tired rooms.”

Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #60 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights over new year. Top spot close to the main beach and shops and everything Rio. However, the rooms were very tired. They still have double beds! The room we had was tiny and cramped for two people for 6 nights. Disappointing. We were given a smoking room at first but as non-smokers they moved us, but not without appearing disgruntled. Pool bar on the top floor has great views and was fantastic for new year. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was excellent but the place lacks atmosphere. Breakfasts were various and the water was hot for tea. This is a rarity in South America. Overall, not what we expected for a Windsor Hotel, but serviceable and centrally located.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cathydel
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments. Regarding the double bed issue it can be solved for your next visit as we also have king size beds. Please feel free to contact me before your next visit and I will personally take care of that.
Neubee Brigagão

Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed here in October on business. I booked 9 rooms for two nights at a competitive rate. The rooms were decent and had a lovely view of the beach but my stay was spoiled as they refused to allow my Brazilian friend who I hadn't seen in two years to come up to my room to see me. She was told she was a prostitute and I was politely and discreetly informed that you cannot take'the girls' to your room. Fair enough , but this girl was an old work colleague, around my age and it made me both angry and very embarrassed for her. I will be in rio again in January for work, and as a result of that rudeness, wil not be staying there.

Room Tip: Amazing vies of copacabana
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank waydownsouthUk
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear Guest,
We do have a policy for visitors in order to guarantee the safety and comfort of our guests.
We're really sorry that we're unable to fully satisfy you while staying in our hotel but please keep in mind that our first priority is, as said before, is the safety of our guests.
We would be pleased to welcome you again yo our hotel in case you change your mind.
Thanks for your comments and I'm going to take this opportunity to wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Reviewed 5 December 2011

The Windsor Plaza Copacabana is a reasonably priced hotel in an expensive part of Rio. The common areas (lobby, rooftop pool, etc) are nicer than the rooms. Our room felt like a Days Inn or Quality Inn in the United States, but with a nicer bathroom. Breakfast is included and the buffet is massive. The staff is friendly and most spoke English. We never felt unsafe in the areas around the hotel, and would stay here again without hesitation!

A few things: The room did not have an iron, so you can either pay for the hotel laundry service, or have a wrinkled stay in Rio. Also, the doormen would usually try to get us to take a black cab when leaving the hotel. These cabs have set fees to places like Corcovado and Sugarloaf, and we found them to be more expensive than the yellow cabs, which are everywhere. Wifi was not free in the room, but you could pay by the minute (about $0.13/minute).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chadgibbs
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your kind comments about our facilities and services. We do have the special cabs with fixed fees. We do so because a lot of people don't feel safe with the yellow cabs.
You're right, the prices are higher but the guests have the advantage of knowing the prices in advance and also the guarantee of having your belongings returned in case they're left in the car.
Anyway, we hope you come back to Rio really soon and you can count on us to welcome you again for this next trip.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Considering that Rio and especially Copacabana is a very expensive place to stay, this hotel represents pretty good value for money.
Rooms were small but clean and comfortable, breakfast was good with a fair selection to suit most people. Breakfast room doubled as a restaurant in the evening, but I never saw anyone eating in there in the evening.
Access to the upper floors was though two tiny lifts, reception staff spoke good English and were very helpful.
This Hotel is within easy walking distance to the old fort and Ipanema Beach, with plenty of restaurants close by.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Etypejag
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Plaza Hotel. We are really glad for being your hotel of choice for your next trip to Rio.
We hope to welcome you again really soon!

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We spent two (2) non-consecutive nights at this Hotel. Walking distance to beach. Check-in staff were pleasant and efficient.
The first night was spent in room 903 - main street view, clean and relatively quiet, good complimentary buffet breakfast.
The second night was on a lower floor, back street view - very noisy, but clean room.
Buffet Dinner was okay, the 100% male restaurant staff replenished the dishes in a timely manner.
Internet access was not free, however, the cost was reasonable.
The bathrooms were clean with adequate toiletries.
Small roof top pool with good views.

Room Tip: Higher floor may have less street noise
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandra_Deoraj

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for evaluating our services and facilities. I'm certain that they will be of great value to other trip advisor users as they were for us.
We hope to see you soon and please feel free to contact me at anytime in case you want me to add some room preferences to your profile.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Hotel centrally located next to copacabana beach.
On our arrival to the hotel the friendly staff after checking in took us to our room. The room was a standard room , however had all what we needed . Bathrobes ....air con.... . You have to pay for Wifi though but is only 10 p per minute.
Breakfast is amazing and the beach is 2 min away. The bell boy will provide you with towels and parasol for the beach for free. On the terrace the hotel has a small swimming pool and lovely bar where you can have a refreshing caipirinha. Enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Stuartc1965
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Plaza Hotel. I'm certain that your comments will be of great help to other Trip Advisor travellers.
We hope to have you as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

This is a hotel with total lack of character. You may choose it, like me, because of its location if you need to stay in the Copacabana area. However, I am sure you will find better options around, although Rio's hotel infrastructure is really poor.

This is a cheap holiday hotel. The room I got was on the second floor, with no external windows at all. When I opened the curtain I found myself facing a very small and ugly internal patio with many windows from other buildings looking at my room (and just 7 meters away). There was almost not natural light and due to the proximity of the other windows you need to keep curtains closed. I also give the reason to the previous reviewer that said that there was a sensation of "airless rooms". Although (very noisy) air conditioning is in each room, the air is heavy.

Soundproofing of rooms are terrible. I could hear the TV and conversation of all rooms around me and even one night I had to call reception at midnight because of the loud discussion in another room.

Just FYI, No free wi-fi, no irons.

Buffet breakfast was okay, with fruits, cereals, and all other usual stuff. Nothing remarkable.

Shop around... It is impossible that this is the 15th best hotel in Rio. Seriously.

Room Tip: ask specifically for rooms not facing the internal patio.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Goguca

Dear Guest,
I'm really sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectations.
In case you decide to give us another chance please get in contact with me and I'll be pleased to help you. Also I would like to put myself at your disposal for everything you might need in Rio de Janeiro.