“Great Location Near Beach”
Review of Ipanema Inn

Ipanema Inn
Ranked #13 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Denver, Colorado
“Great Location Near Beach”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The Ipanema Inn was a nice, clean and comfortable hotel in Rio. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was great! Conveniently located near Ipanema beach and many restaurants. Rio is expensive, but this hotel was a good choice for us.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank Lucklulu
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your superb review about your recent stay with at IPANEMA INN.

We are thrilled to hear how much you have enjoyed our great level of services, as much as you have enjoyed our prime location. We are indeed located in the very centre of Ipanema, just a few steps from the beach.

Our team wishes to welcome you back soon.

All the very best,

Daniel Gorin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 24 February 2013

This hotel is nice. It is literally 20 steps from the beach which is awesome! The room I had was an inside room so it did not have a view of anything but other rooms. If you stay here get a street view room which of course is a little more expensive but would be worth it. The room is nice, but the bathroom we had was small that it was tight when opening the door because of the toilet.They serve breakfast everyday which is small, but nice. Brazilian coffee is so good. Best coffee I have ever had! They serve fruit, fruit juices, omlettes, ham, cheeses, bread and pão de quejo which everyone likes! The staff is nice and kind although they do not speak english so make sure you speak Portuguese. The WiFi is not consistent either. It drops and is hard to connect to sometimes. They do have computers in the lobby area that work and you can print from them. The doorman is nice and they have a bellman who will help you with your luggage.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a street view. You may be able to see the beach, but if not you can see the stree...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank ama2121
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your superb review regarding your stay with us at IPANEMA INN. Thank you also for sharing the compliments to our services here with other travellers.

It is very rewarding for our teams - and in special our restaurant - to learn how much you have enjoyed our morning breakfast, served as a Brazilian buffet, with plenty of local and seasonal delicacies. The brand of our coffee is Melitta, which is an amazing blend of toasted ground coffee, so I am particularly glad that you have enjoyed it.

In fact it is possible to see some of the ocean from some Superior Street View apartments, but specially from our Duplex Suites, which have each a terrace, with lateral view to the beach.

We hope to welcome you back soon to IPANEMA INN, when you will be able to enjoy a little more of Rio.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 February 2013

The location is excelllent, very close to Ipanema beach. Most of the rooms have not yet been refurbished and are not worth the price. The refurbished rooms on the other hand on the upper floors are fine - all you need with good beds. So make sure to ask for a refurbished room! The staff are very helpful and the breakfast is excellent. (My rating is based on the refurbished rooms.)

Room Tip: Go for the upper, 8th and 9th floors. That is what I based my rating on. Take at least one bullit of...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank StephenGeven
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for such great review regarding your stay with us.
It is fantastic to learn that our newly refurbished apartments have been highly approved by our valued guests. Thank you so much for kindly recommending them to travellers around the world.

Our teams look forward to welcoming you back at IPANEMA INN, in your next trip to Rio de Janeiro.

My very best wishes,

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Prime location (one block from Ipanema beach and near the main parade of shops), lovely rooms and reasonable rates. Very impressed!

Breakfast in the morning was particularly good, too. Omelettes cooked to my very particular order and 5 flavours of juice available.

Great customer service. Welcoming and went out of their way to help us.

• Stayed February 2013
8 Thank toniusmaximis
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing our services with such enthusiasm.
I am truly excited to learn how impressed you were with the hotel's location, breakfast and high level of services. It is very rewarding to us.

I have transmitted your compliments to our teams, who look forward to welcoming you back at IPANEMA INN.

Wishing you all the very best,

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The hotel is located less than 100m from the Beach, Ipanema by the way is a great place, the beach is relatively empty if you go there early enough (between 7 to 11). The hotel is also very close to good restaurants (Rua Garcia de Avila) and Supermarkets. Apart from the excellent location the hotel has a really friendly staff always ready to help and give advises and tips, the rooms are very decent, clean and comfortable, the bathroom is big and the bed is very comfortable as well. We were in a superior room with beach view which has gone through reform recently, I haven't seen other rooms but I guess they are also nice. The breakfast is one of the best things the Hotel offers by far, they have lots and lots of fresh fruit options, about four types of freshly made juice (including a wonderful Açai option, a must try for foreigners!!), by the way foreigners and brazilians should try the "Tapioca" served also in the breakfast without any additional costs... its really great... a lot of yogurts, breads and sliced meat are also available as breakfast. The only problem I had so far, not really a big one was that my room was right way to the lifting so the noise of the lifting beep annoyed me a little bit in the morning and the acoustic system between the rooms is not so good. The wifi worked fine for us although we have only used it quickly with our phones, but the hotel also offers two computers close to the reception where addicteds can upload their social lives :) in our room the TV had several channels including NG and other british channels. I really think the hotel offers a good deal, considering location, quality of the rooms and breakfast. I would recommend and go there again for sure!

Room Tip: Rooms that have recently gone through restoration not directly in front of the lifting.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Vivian S
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the amazing review regarding your recent stay with us at IPANEMA INN.
We highly appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts here and your excelent compliments were transmitted to the various teams of the hotel.

I am extremely glad to learn how much you have enjoyed our daily breakfast, served as a Brazilian style buffet, in the restaurant. It is great to know you have tried the Tapioca, the Brazilian pancake, gluten-free, with your own option of filling, savoury or sweet.

Thank you for your compliments to our housekeeping service. It is very reassuring to see that the outcome of the training on excellency services, recently undergone in our hotel, has been generating an extremely positive response from our valued guests.

Thank you also for the rich description of the amenities in the room, such as the international TV channels, as this helps other travellers figure out many of our services. The first renovated apartments have been inaugurated, offering an ever greater comfort.

We are all extremely thankful for your review on our structure and services and hope we can welcome you back at IPANEMA INN soon.

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Considering the expensive real estate on which the Ipanema Inn is situated, I am pleased to report that it offers exceptional value for a pleasant stay in a trendy neighborhood. From the hotel, it’s a very quick walk to the beach, and the hotel is quite close to some upscale shopping streets, night clubs, and restaurants. Judging from the ubiquitous crowds walking to and from the beach on Rua Maria Quiteria -- and the many hotels in the neighborhood -- it is a relatively safe area.

On the plus side, the hotel offers clean rooms and excellent housekeeping service -- after I left a tip in appreciation, the maid actually wrote me a thank-you note. The wi-fi Internet connection is free, and the signal is usually adequate, apparently with separate networks on each floor. The bathroom offers soap, shampoo, and a shower cap, and the shower itself works quite well. The hot water does not flow instantly at all hours, but it usually gets hot fairly quickly (although once in a while it barely gets to lukewarm rather than truly hot). You operate the climate-control system using a remote control device, and the system is sufficiently responsive to individual adjustments of fan speed and target temperatures.

If you bring along valuables, the in-room safe is a major plus -- although it works a bit differently from most such devices, so be sure to read the instructions. You first have to clear the memory and set up a semi-permanent six-digit code; thereafter, as with most hotel safes, you just enter your pre-set code to lock and unlock it each time. Also convenient are the several electrical outlets in the room that fit both US & EU plugs, with both 110 V and 220 V outlets in the bathroom. The fridge is mostly filled with mini-bar drinks and snacks but still has some room for your own items. Closet space is adequate. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is available until 10:30 a.m. if you want to sleep in. Some staff members speak English -- usually including at least one person at the front desk. The hotel’s clientele was mostly Brazilian when I was there so English was not needed that much for the staff, but I could always find an English speaker when needed. Finally, beach towels are available at the front desk.

I didn’t find much on the negative side that bothered me, but I will mention a few aspects that might mildly disappoint some guests looking for higher-priced luxury: The lobby features a small reception area and no concierge (I was told there are only 56 rooms) -- the desk clerk will gladly help with directions, tours, taxis, and transfers, but often works alone and is usually busy. The rooms, while highly functional, are small, plain, and even austere in some respects. The TV screen is not very large, and I could find only one English language channel (CNN International). There is not much drawer space, although there are a couple of empty shelves in the closet for guests to use. The hotel provides no pad, pen, or envelopes, no clock or clock radio, and no guest information handbook detailing hotel services, identifying TV channels, etc. At least in my bathroom, there was no facial tissue dispenser, no wash cloth, and no hair dryer. The sink lacks a drain plug, so be careful with contact lenses and don't plan on doing your own hand laundry in the sink. Finally, the wi-fi signal can occasionally be erratic, possibly depending on the location of your room -- sometimes it takes minutes to load a Web page and may time out without loading, although those occasions are rare.

That said, I consider the negatives to be minor, mostly inconsequential, and far outweighed by the strong positives. All in all, I was quite pleased with my several days at the Ipanema Inn and will definitely stay there again if and when I return to Rio.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank RonKVA
Daniel G, Manager at Ipanema Inn, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear guest,

We highly appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts here and your nice compliments were transmitted to the various teams of the hotel.

I am extremely glad to learn how safe you felt both in our hotel as in our neighbourhood. Ipanema is, in fact, one of the safest areas in Rio de Janeiro and I am happy that you noticed that.

Thank you for your compliments to our housekeeping service. It is very reassuring to see that the outcome of training on excellency services, recently undergone in our hotel, has been generating an extremely positive response from guests.

Thank you also for the rich description of the amenities in the room, as this helps other travellers figure out many of our services. The first renovated apartments will be inaugurated in the next following weeks, for an ever greater comfort. Therefore, I very much hope you can be back and experience the special amenities we are planning for our hotel.

Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed 28 January 2013

It was my first time in Rio and I chose Ipanema Inn by the reviews. The hotel is really close to the beach, it is clean, safe and all the staff are really nice. I recommeded it, my bedroom was the cheapest one, it was small, but when you are in Rio you need a bed and a shower, overall the hotel is great...I really liked it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ana D
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for kindly reviewing us with such great words.
I am truly happy to hear that you have approved our Standard apartment, with its great amenities, such as the power shower and the comfortable large bed.

We hope to see you back in IPANEMA INN soon.

My very best wishes,