“safe and convenient location”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #80 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Close to beach and lagoon. On December 1st just a short walk to lagoon to see impressive firework display and the switching on of a huge colourful, but gawdy, electronic christmas tree. Anyway back to the hotel. Compact twin bedded room on 10th floor was very quiet and had everying we needed. You get used to more compact rooms in some large busy cities. The breakfast was suberb - fresh fruit including papaya, perfectly cooked scrambled eggs and very hot good coffee. The staff were quite helpful and friendly but not so much as other hotels I have visited on my travels. Location was quite good for restaurants but you will be paying at least London prices here - Rio is not cheap. Good secure facilities to leave luggage on day of departure as we had an evening flight back home. Close to supermarket and HSBC bank.

Room Tip: obviously higher floors have less traffic noise
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Guest,

How can I even begin to thank you for such an amazing review?! I was so happy to read about your stay with us! I am glad you enjoyed our great location, all of the best restaurants, bars and shops in town are located in the vicinities of the hotel.
I am very happy that you were able to visit Lagoa and see the fireworks. Maybe because we are only one short block away from the beach, many guests end up not visiting such a wonderful place. Also, the Lagoa Christmas Tree is considered the world's largest floating Christmas tree!
I’m also happy to hear that you were delighted with the breakfast, served at the Devassa restaurant, which is opened for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night drinks.
Again, thank you so much for your candid comments and the compliments concerning our front desk staff!
WIsh you all the best!

Reviewed 17 December 2012

We had a wonderful king bed on the 3rd floor,with a large bathroom. Read previous reviews that complained about noise and lack of AC. Make sure your key card is in the slot by the door,shut the bathroom door(that room is not AC),and use the hand held device to choose your temperature. It works great! Windows are one paned, so close the heavy drapes and leave the AC on-very little street noise. Staff was great,arranged a van to take us and a lot of luggage to the airport for $40 US. Made reservations at Margutta restaurant, 2 blocks away . A wonderful family owned small restaurant that specializes in seafood. What a special wonderful last meal in Rio! All the staff was wonderful and very helpful-thank you.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff49085

Fantastic review!!! Thank you so much for your comments about your stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel! I am so happy to know that you enjoyed our hotel and city! Also great news to know you found our rooms amusing! We truly appreciate your comments about our front desk staff!
Thank you so much! Hope to see you back soon!
Cheers!

Reviewed 14 December 2012

The Mar Ipanema Hotel has a great location, apart from the 15 mins walk to the Metro. (That will be better in a few years when the Metro has been extended to Leblon). It's 5 mins to Ipanema Beach tower number 10 and less than 10 minutes to the lagoon. There are lots of restaurants in the area (but wouldn't recommend the restaurant where you have breakkie in the morning if you'd like something at night).

What you have to bear in mind is that a hotel with this rating in Rio/Brazil isn't the same as a hotel with this rating in the rest of the world, specially Asia. I tried to get help from the front desk to find a camera store since I had to buy a charger for my camera. They only recommended me to go to small electronic stores within 5 minutes from the hotel. I asked if they knew of any other camera stores in Rio but they could only recommend stores in Ipanema.

The rooms are small, and have twin beds, not double beds. I don't understand why, double beds are so much nicer. If you have a normal size bag you can't have it open anywhere in the room without having to jump over it to get around in the room.

I had a room with a (locked) door to the room next doors. I understand that this can be convenient if you travel as a family, but the down side is that the noise from the other room really disturbs you. It can't be that much of a hassle to either put a better door between the rooms or for families to walk out in the corridor when running between rooms.

The breakfast ends at 10am, it's a bit early for a vacation location. 11am is standard pretty much everywhere in the world.

But, the hotel is clean and the bell boys are really helpful so I'm mainly focusing on the things that could have been improved here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank hagander

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. At Mar Ipanema Hotel we take very much in consideration our guests’ feedback. I’m really glad you enjoyed our location. I have to agree that it’s unbeatable. Surrounded by Rio de Janeiro’s best restaurants and shops, Mar Ipanema Hotel is a stone’s throw from Ipanema beach and the lagoon.
It is quite satisfactory that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our rooms and our bell boys’ efficiency. Please be assured that I will personally congratulate our housekeeping staff as well as the bell boys.
On the downside, I’m truly sorry that you did not enjoy our restaurant that much. Armazém Devassa is a very typical "carioca" brewery and meeting point for locals and tourists in town. They serve a variety of different types of beer. Did you have any of those?
Also, I’m very disappointed that our front desk staff couldn’t help you find a proper camera store. Perhaps they thought a closer electronic shop would be more convenient for you.
Regarding the rooms, please notice that they were all recently refurbished being equipped with LCD TVs, Ipod Docks and now can make use of complimentary wireless internet in the rooms. Also, we have been progressively installing new soundproof doors that separate communicating rooms.
I apologize for any inconvenience, however I would like to thank you a lot for your feedback and comments about your stay!

Reviewed 13 December 2012

My wife and I stayed for the first time at the Mar Ipanema this month. We lived in Rio for many years and know the city well. The hotel stay was a pleasure from all standpoints: location, the weather, the staff at the desk, in the adjoining bar/breakfast room, and housekeeping, the comfort of the beds, the air conditioning, the minibar, the shower.

Room Tip: We liked #701 and we visited a couple of others and preferred it best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. Providing a good service and receiving reviews like that are exactly what we work for at Mar Ipanema Hotel! As someone who knows Rio de Janeiro quite well as you do, we can say you’re a Rio de Janeiro specialist! As you very well know, Ipanema is the most trendy and lively district in Rio de Janeiro, where the finest stores and restaurants are located!
I’m really glad you enjoyed our Armazém Devassa restaurant, where breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night drinks, including beers from the Devassa microbrewery are served. Did you have any of those?
Also, I would very much like to thank for the praise concerning our rooms and housekeeping. Our hotel has been recently fully refurbished and now they are all non-smoking rooms being all equipped with LCD TVs, Ipod Docks, Split Air-conditioners and complimentary wireless internet access.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

The location is great and safe! Great hopping area for weekdays and weekends alike. All you need for different food lifestyles and it's great food, too!
If your a novice world traveler you will not be used to the smaller room size. The space is well used, enjoy.
Number 1 rules cash for taxis and the HBSC Bank is down the street.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Subtech117

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your dazzling review! It’s always great to know our guests enjoyed their stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel. Good to know you enjoyed our location. It’s just a stone’s throw from the marvelous Ipanema beach and the best restaurant and shopping areas in town. Our property has been recently renovated and we are very proud to say that Mar Ipanema Hotel is the only 100% renovated property in Ipanema neighborhood. Also, our hotel is the only one in the area offering free wi fi connection.
I would just like to add that all of our furnishings and decoration objects are all 100% Brazilian, from great brazilian artists and artisans. I am glad you liked it!
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Hotel was recommended by a friend and it didn't disappoint, especially after 10 days of staying in pousadas across Brazil. All staff spoke English and were helpful. Room was decent size, clean and modern looking with a wooden floor. There was a safe as well as free wi-fi with good reception in the room. Breakfast selection was good. The hotel is in a good location in Ipanema, 5min walk from the beach and on the main shopping street with lots of interesting shops and restaurants nearby.

After spending 5 days in Rio we were glad we stayed in Ipanema, we thought it was the best area to be in. The nearest metro is a bit of a trek (15-20 min walk) but taxis are relatively cheap. We were on the 7th floor but it could still get quite noisy from the street, I wouldn't want to be in a room in the lower floors

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gordongecko

Dear guest,

On behalf of our staff at Mar Ipanema Hotel, I would like to thank you so much for such an amazing review! It makes us all so happy to know that you had such an amazing time at our property and at our city! I have to agree with you about our incredible location and wonderful restaurant/bar, Armazém Devassa, which serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night drinks. It is a very typical "carioca" brewery and meeting point for locals and tourists in town. The breakfast itself offers a wide variety of tropical fruits, breads, hot dishes and Brazilian delicacies.
Regarding your observation concerning the metro, please notice that the local government is building a new metro station only two blocks away from our hotel!
About the noise, since our hotel is located at a very trendy and popular place, indeed some guests could find it to be noisy sometimes, however, since all rooms are equipped double glazed windows, this noise is drastically diminished. Nonetheless, you would be glad to know that we are currently installing new soundproof windows in all rooms, so as to eliminate any noises arising from outside.
Again, thank you so much for your compliments about our staff! I will personally congratulate them for your praise.
Thank you so much, and we truly hope to see you back soon!

Amanda Abreu - Sales Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Mar Ipanema is clean, modern and with a fantastic location, right in the heart of Ipanema, 2 blocks from the best beach spot. I would definitely recommend this to any family or friend going to Rio and when I return to visit Brazil, this is definitely where I will stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Wow! What an awesome review. It’s always great to know our guests enjoyed their stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel. As you very well pointed out, Mar Ipanema Hotel is just a stone’s throw from the wonderful Ipanema beach, as well as just a short walk from the most trendy shops and restaurants in Rio de Janeiro. As you very well pointed out, our hotelHotel has really modern rooms, once they were all recently furbished, being all equipped with LCD TVs, Ipod Docks, Split Air-conditioners and complimentary wireless internet access.
We would be really glad to have you once again and your friends with us.