“A solid place to stay”

Ranked #82 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Calgary, Canada
“A solid place to stay”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed five days. The room was small and the bathroom was miniscule ( good water pressure, adequate hot water supply). The bed was comfortable, the air conditioning worked well, the room smelled clean and was clean, the free WIFI worked well in the room, though the room was on the street front it was not noisy at all, front desk staff were okay, free use of umbrella, chairs and towels for the beach ( two blocks away), free breakfast was adequate in the adjacent restaurant ( but don't any other meals there), two excellent restaurants within 2 blocks are the Margutta and Gula Gula. I don't know the price we paid for our stay as it was in a package but the places on Ipanema beach are probably very expensive in comparison. No pool.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Diretor de vendas at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback about our hotel. We are very pleased you have enjoyed your stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel and that you appreciated our prime location, as well as how soundproof our rooms are. All windows at the Mar Ipanema Hotel have double glazing which serves the purpose of both acoustic and thermal insulation as we understand silence and comfort are essential for a good night's sleep. We're also thrilled you have enjoyed the services provided by our hotel, such as free wi-fi and the beach articles available for guests.

Thank you once again for your kind words! We hope to see you again anytime soon at Mar Ipanema Hotel!

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I was disappointed with the size of the room, the sour attitude of the staff, bellboys are the exception. The breakfast buffet is good, but the restaurant is not pleasant, a pub that functions as a hotel restaurant. Every time I asked a question the answer was short and unhelpful. The rooms are super small and many are noisy. Make sure your room does not face Visconde de Piraja Avenue. Keep in mind that there is no gym, no pool, no common space to relax.

You may ask what are the pluses? Location is fabulous, safe, convenient, surrounded by bars, reataurants, boutiques, two blocks from the beach in the heart of Ipanema. The room is clean, has a nice size bathroom, with good water pressure, and efficient air conditioner which is a must in Rio. I was surprised that there is no tissue any place in the room. Some of the rooms have small size closets that fit shirts and pants only. Could not hang my summer dresses.

Rio has to improve its hotel options. I would return to Mar Ipanema only if I could not find a better alternative. For an average US $300 a night one expects more.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel. We're glad to hear you appreciated our prime location and the cleanliness of our rooms and bathrooms. We are truly sorry however that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to improve our services. Nonetheless, I take this opportunity to inform you and all the viewers that our rooms are actually the same size as the industry average and are all equipped with double-glazed windows, which makes our accomodations a quiet and comfortable retreat. Regarding our staff and breakfast services, please accept our apologies. We regret that you experienced inattentive service as we strive for the highest level of professionalism and we are very sorry you did not receive the exemplary service you deserve.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us a feedback on your stay and please accept our apologies for any inconviniences you might have had. We hope that you will consider staying at Mar Ipanema Hotel again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Kind regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Hotel staff very good. Rooms are very small. Front desk personnel were kind enough to charge my Iphone5. Restaraunt attached was good. Being a vegetarian, had enough to eat. Good location. Very safe place to walk around, close to the beach

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel! We are delighted to hear that our services reflected the high standards that we set for our hotel. We're also glad to know that you were pleased with our prime location and proximity to the best beach in Rio de Janeiro. As for the restaurant, Armazém Devassa provides not only typical Brazilian delights, but also a very large variety of main meals and side dishes in its lunch buffet and menu, several of which vegetarian. However, I take this opportunity to inform you and all viewers that our rooms are actually the same size as the industry average.

Thanks again for taking your time to send us your feedback on your stay with us! We hope to see you again at Mar Ipanema anytime soon!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

The Mar Ipanema was centrally located in the downtown area of Ipanema, only a block from the beach. The room was very nice, the desk staff, although a bit stiff were friendly and efficient. There was free wifi, which is a relief from the nickle and diming of other hotels. Free bicycles (not the best, but free) were available. The included breakfast food was so-so, but would hold you over for a few hours.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. Initially, I would like to thank you for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your stay in Rio de Janeiro. As you were able to realize, Mar Ipanema Hotel is located in a really residential and upscale neighborhood, a stone’s throw from Ipanema beach surrounded by the best restaurants and trendiest boutiques in town. Good to know our staff was pleasant and were able to help you with recommendations on what to do in Rio. I’ll congratulate them myself! Our breakfast is served at the Armazém Devassa restaurant, which is complimentary for guests. Not only breakfast is served over there, but also lunch, dinner and late night drinks as well. At last, I’m glad you enjoyed having access to our wifi internet, which is also complimentary for guests.
Thank you very much for your review and kind words, we hope to see you soon again!
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Mar Ipanema offers a good value proposition for Rio standards. A couple of blocks away from the beach, in a good zone of Ipanema. The rooms are clean, the furniture is basic and contemporary. The one setback is the traffic noise from the street. Accoustic windows would be a major improvement.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. At Mar Ipanema Hotel we take very much our guests’ reviews in consideration in order to offer even better services. Our location, as you pointed out, is just fantastic. Two blocks away from Ipanema beach’s most sophisticated spot and surrounded by Rio’s best restaurants and trendiest shops, our hotel is a great option in Ipanema, especially considering that our rates are 20% to 30% cheaper than those of beachfront hotels. Our rooms are all decorated with Rio-inspired themes, unlike big chain hotels that offer unattractive decoration. Concerning the noises from the streets, you would be glad to know that we are currently replacing all windows to soundproof windows. That being, please rest assured you will have an even better stay during your next time at our hotel.
Thank you once again for your review and kind words! We hope to see you soon again anytime soon!

Best regards,

Henrique de Abreu
VA
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I come in to check in. No hello The clerk wants my credit card for incidentials. The room is pre paid. I say I do not have it with me. I need to make a local call. He wants my credit card. I say i will pay for the call. I want him to tell me how to make the call. It's a hassle. Bad vibes He talks with another staff in Portugese. They know I don't understand. The room is domitory style and noisy. The location mediore.The breakfast is next door at Devassa where they had shorted me $6 the day before. They hassle me somemore at checkout and are obviously hostile. I need a cab to the airport . They all just conviently ignore me. I get my own cab.
They have a certificate of excellence on the wall from trip advisor. Give me a break.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank surferboyVA
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel. We are sorry your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel as our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to improve our services.

Still, perhaps I should clarify some issues ponted out on your review in regards to our services and policies. As in any hotel, we reserve the right to pre-authorize credit cards at arrival to cover incidental items including mini bar, telephone calls, breakages/damages, excessive cleaning charges above the normal level due to the apartment being left in an unacceptable state, etc. This pre-authorized amount is set aside by the credit card company for a period of up to 10 working days (release times may vary according to issuing financial institution), but we do not charge guests' credit card then.

Regarding our rooms and location, we were surprised to hear it did not satisfy your needs. All of our rooms were recently refurbished, equipped with soundproofed with double-glazed windows, 32 LCD TVs, iPod docks, free complimentary wi-fi internet access, and many other amenities. In fact, at Mar Ipanema we take pride in offering comfortable, above standard modern rooms, close to the best attractions in Rio de Janeiro, as we are only 100 metres away from Ipanema beach and a few steps from the best shops, restaurants and bars in town.

Nevertheless, we are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations about our hotel and services. I am available at the email maripanema [at] maripanema.com to discuss any further issues you might have.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I just stayed in this hotel on vacation with my girlfriend for a week. Upon check in I had my room upgraded for free. The hotel staff was helpful and friendly despite our lack of ability to speak Portuguese. The location can't be beat; two blocks from the beach and on one of the best streets in Ipanema. The cafe/bar downstairs didn't have the greatest food, but the drinks were good and the crowd was always lively. Room was clean and comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew R
MarIpanemaHotel, Diretor de vendas at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your stay in Rio de Janeiro and for giving us such a positive review! We're glad you had a good time in our hotel and that our staff was able to assist you during your stay. About our location, you're absolutely right, as we are only 100 metres away from Ipanema beach and a few steps from the best shops and restaurants in town. But above all, we're happy you enjoyed your accomodation. All of our rooms were recently refurbished, equipped with 32 LCD TVs, iPod docks, free complimentary wi-fi internet access, and many other amenities.

Best regards,