“Convenient to the Beach”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Ranked #78 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Secure and clean hotel close to Ipanema. Easy walking distance to restaurants and shopping in the neighborhood. On a clear day you can even see the Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer statue) from your room. The breakfast buffet was very good each morning.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments on our property. We consider our guests’ feedback crucial for improving the services.
Great to know that you enjoyed our prime location. We are located in the fanciest part of the residential district of Ipanema, known as Charm Square. The trendiest shops and finest restaurants in town, as well as Ipanema beach are a stone’s throw from our hotel.
Good to know that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, served at the Armazém Devassa restaurant. Did you enjoy all the Brazilian delicacies served over there, in special the notorious Pão de Queijo? As you may have noticed our restaurants serves also buffet-style lunch, dinner and late night drinks. Around a dozen different local craft beers are served at the restaurant as well.
Once again, thank you very much for comments on our hotel. We hope to see you on your next stay at Rio de Janeiro.
Henrique de Abreu

Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed 16 March 2013

It is not a 4 star hotel in most of the world, but for Rio standards, it was really good.
Location is perfect, along a busy shopping street, 2 blocks away from Ipanema beach, safe area, and very good restaurant.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
MarIpanemaHotel, Diretor de vendas at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel! We are happy to hear that you had a great stay and that you were pleased with our prime location and proximity to the best beach in Rio de Janeiro.

We're not sure however what did you mean by "not being a 4-star hotel"... We are truly sorry if your visit might not have reflected the high standards that we set for our hotel. As our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations, we would greatly appreciate if you could please get in touch with us to let us know what was not of your approval or your comments and suggestions so we can take whatever steps we can to improve our services.

Nonetheless, we thank you once again for taking the time to give us a feedback on your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

This was a very good small hotel 2 short blocks from the Ipanema Beach. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was small but adequate. Bathroom was modern and was small. An excellent breakfast was included and was served in the restaurant adjacent to the hotel on the first floor (with indoor and outdoor seating). Breakfast consisted of a variety of fresh fruits, juices, breads, meat, cheese, etc. all delicious. WIFI was great and included. The hotel provided beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels for the beach at no charge. The adjacent restaurant had excellent midday meals as well as dinner and drinks at reasonable rates too. All in all a great hotel in a great area. Cost $1750 US for 7 night for 2 people.

Room Tip: Higher floors are very desirable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review shared on TripAdvisor! It is a great pleasure to know you have enjoyed the services we provide! We are delighted you really appreciated the comfort of the room, as well as our great location! We're also glad you have enjoyed our breakfast at Armazém Devassa; it is actually a chance guests have to try typical Brazilian dishes such as tapioca, rabanada, pão de queijo, coconut bread, queijo de minas and tropical fruits!

We should communicate all of those who are reading this review, however, that our daily rates are not fixed, depending on the season, room type, availability, etc. Still, we thank you once again for taking your time to give us a such a great feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back at the Mar Ipanema Hotel anytime soon,

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I must say that I read all of the reviews prior to staying at this hotel. I was expecting a much better property compared to the reviews. Perhaps I am a little more picky then some of the other reviewers. Nonetheless, the hotel is located 2 blocks from the beach and the hotel sits on a corner of 2 very busy roads. Upon arriving even after giving my passport and credit card, they still had a challenge finding my reservation. I had to dig through my briefcase and find my confirmation number - once I gave them this they were able to retrieve the reservation. I asked if the name was spelled differently and they said everything was the same. So, I wondered why they had such a challenge. The rate we paid was 280.00/night - this was a business trip. For Brazil, I do not expect to receive the same level of quality, room size or amenities that we are used to in the US, but there are primary things that I think we should expect.
Number one - security - In RIO, to me the number one value we should ensure we have is that the hotel is secure and you are safe. The hotel does have a paid security guard that usually stands close to the elevators. Although, there were several times that I was in the lobby that I did not see him, and/or he was outside the front doors or in the stairwell. For the room and security, the doors do NOT have a security peep-hole. To me this is totally unacceptable. Even though I am a male, I can definitely understand how a single traveling female would not feel secure without a peep-hole to see who is on the other side of the door.
As for the room - it was very small - the floors were hardwood, and the exterior halls were also wood. You could hear everyone coming and going the noise from other rooms would echo and you can hear anything and everything from other adjoining guest rooms. Additionally, my room was on the 1st floor. When you exit the elevator all rooms for the floor were immediately at the elevator. So, due to the wood floors everywhere you could hear every time the elevator opened and closed.
The bathroom for the room was extremely small. I cannot emphasize how small it is. The amenities were even smaller than the size of the bathroom - if you decide to stay here you may want to either bring your own or walk across the street and buy what you need. When they clean the rooms, they were not paying attention to ensure they replaced the soiled towels. I had to call each day and ask them to bring towels because of this. Of the 4 days that I stayed here I only had hot water on 1 day. Even though I turned the cold water off and let the hot water run for a minimum of 5 minutes, I was lucky if I had Luke-warm water. (Oh the joys of traveling!)
Room Service - I have traveled around the world and I have NEVER experienced this in my life. I ordered room service and when they brought the food the non-english speaking boy asked me to pay for the food. I of course said to please charge it to my room. After some hand language and my interpretation of what he was trying to say I cam to understand that you must pay him in cash or a credit card immediately while he waited. Again, I have been traveling for over 20 years around the world and I have never experienced anything like this before. I decided there was no way I was going to give him cash and then be surprised when I checked out that it was also on my bill - so I gave him my credit card. This I was also worried about as now he has access to my credit card details. Second to this very strange process for room service, the food was less than satisfactory. I ordered a hamburger (that was cold). I ordered cold milk to drink and it was warm - the french fries were cold and soggy. The cheese that they used was disgusting!
Room - Bed Quality - The room has an air conditioner in the wall that is controlled by a had remote. It is extremely noisy and was difficult to keep a comfortable temperature. It was either too hot or too cold. The bed was comfortable enough, but fortunately I did take sleeping pills due to hearing both the noise from the street and the hallways.
Even with all of the above items, I still rate the hotel with 2 stars because I have traveled to Brazil many, many times - and I have stayed in much worse. At the same time, I have stayed in much better hotels in Rio as well. The problem is that RIO has started to out-price the average traveler and it is difficult to find a quality hotel and a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank roadwarrior2_11
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. Although not entirely positive and perhaps accurate, we may find your review useful for improving our services. Initially, concerning our location, we are located on a very sophisticated residential area in Rio de Janeiro, two blocks away from the beach, as you pointed out on the corner of Ipanema’s main street, where most shops are located and Aníbal de Mendonça Street, a one lane street where some of Rio’s best restaurants are at (most people would not consider a one lane street exactly a busy road).
Concerning your thoughts on security, I can tell you that your should you inform yourself that crime rates in Rio de Janeiro fell staggering over 50% in the last decade and Ipanema is probably one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. Nonetheless, we have security guards at all times of the day at our lobby area. As you pointed out, your room, just as most of the rooms at our hotel, had hardwood floors, which is much more hygienic in comparison to carpet floors. Another issue with your review which you probably did not properly remember of our facilities is that we have noise-proof windows in most floors (including First Floor) and all none of our halls have hardwood floors.
In regard of the amenities, please note that we offer Natura products to our guests, which is a high-profile cosmetics Brazilian company famous for its fruits and flowers-based products and environmental engagement. The shampoos and conditioners bottles have the amount of 30ml, which are usually enough for at least two showers.
About the room service, I apologize, on behalf of the restaurant for sending an ill-trained staff member to deliver you your food. Since our restaurant belongs to a different company, the hotel is not allowed to charge for orders made from the restaurant. Given your concerns regarding your credit card information, I kindly ask you to inform if there were any unauthorized charges to your credit card. Since the restaurant clerk brought to you mobile credit card machine, I’m sure your concerns were unfounded.
Although unfortunately you did not have a pleasant stay, we wish you can offer us the opportunity to surprise you during your next stay at Rio de Janeiro by staying with us.

Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

In a city where good, affordable accommodation is hard to find, this hotel gets it right.

Hotels in Rio are expensive, and 3-4 star hotels don't live up to expectations mostly because many are old and in need of renovation and upgrades, yet their prices don't reflect that. Mar Ipanema is definitely not fancy, and at the same time does not fit into a tight budget, but if you have to pick from similarly priced hotels in this city I believe this is one of the better options for sure.

The rooms are simple, but clean, and most importantly the bathrooms are on point (I am picky about bathrooms). Clean, nicely laid out and designed (no frills though, like the rest of the room), and the bonus for me was the Natura products. It's nice also to have room service from the bar/restaurant next door. Ipanema is a great area to walk around and Mar is in a good spot, right by the beach. Rio is small enough that it's fairly easy to get anywhere else you need to be.

The building itself (as in lobby and hallwats) is airy, isn't dark claustrophobia-inducing and doesn't look rundown or smell like some other hotels I've seen in the same category here.

Again, for this price in another city I might have gotten a more luxurious hotel, a bigger TV, for example, maybe more plush or artistic design and not flourecent ceiling lights. So don't think you will be living in luxury. But adjusted for Rio, and taking the location into account, it goes beyond expextations, I'm definitely a fan and will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your complete review. It’s nice to know you had such a wonderful stay. As you pointed out, we are the only hotel in Ipanema/Leblon region which is 100% renovated. Concerning the prices, hotels in Rio can be sometimes expensive due to the costs of real-estate, but are our prices are generally 20-30% inferior to hotels located at Ipanema beach.
We are also glad that you enjoyed our rooms and decoration. Our hotel is decorated by prized local designers having our Marvelous City as inspiration. The Natura ammenites, which have as main ingredients local fruits and flowers add a local a Brazilian touch to the sophisticated environment.
At last, we are very happy for your comments that you became a fan and would be interested in return. There is no better compliment for us than to know that you had a pleasant stay and would like to stay with us again. We hope to see you soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a superior room. The hotel is in a great location. The room was very small and we had a hard time getting our luggage in and still being able to walk from the beds to the door or bathroom. We could only open one suitcase at a time. To be fair, we had a lot of luggage because we had been on a cruise that ended in Rio but it was annoying. The bathroom design was just too weird. The toilet was in the L created by two walls leaving anyone larger than a supermodel with one thigh against a wall and the rest of the body off-center hanging over the other side. The bathroom door was in the wall the toilet was against and to shut it you had to walk into the bathroom past the toilet, step sideways and close the door. Otherwise, you could not close the door at all. Try it at 3 in the morning. The hotel supplies hand towels and small bath towels and 1 tiny facial soap. No washcloths or bath soap. This is not a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jcs8192
MarIpanemaHotel, Diretor de vendas at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel. We are delighted you have enjoyed our prime location, but we are truly sorry though that you were not happy with our rooms' design. To be honest though, our rooms are actually the same size as the industry average. Regarding the ammenities provided by the hotel, we were suprised to hear your negative comments about it as our toiletry kit includes shampoo, hair conditioner, and soap from the best natural Brazilian beauty brand, Natura, and these are replenished everyday. Fresh bath and hand towels are also provided on a daily basis.

Nonetheless, please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you might have had. Thanks again for taking your time to send us your feedback on your stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Mar Ipanema and have to say it ticks all the boxes. Great location and good value for the area (Ipanema is a much nicer place to stay than copacabana and the hotel prices do reflect this). The staff were really helpful, service was great and the food at the hotel restaurant was really very good. The bar also seemed to be a destination in it's own right and had a good atmosphere. The hotel rooms are small (we stayed in a superior room) , which is pretty typical for Rio by all accounts, but have everything you need and are clean and quiet.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise S

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review shared on Trip Advisor! It is a great pleasure to know you have enjoyed the great quality of service we are offering! We are delighted you really appreciated the comfort of the room, as well as our great location!

Thank you once again for taking your time to give us a such a wonderful feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back at the Mar Ipanema Hotel very soon,