“Modern hotel in the heart of Ipanema”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #77 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful, modern, boutique hotel in the heart of Ipanema. Breakfast is fantastic with a great selection daily. The rooms are clean and modern, I will say a tad small but I am sure for the area that is to be expected. Also we had three people in our room so one single bed and a huge king! Seriously, biggest bed I've seen! The facilities are very well maintained and clean. Drawback is there are only two lifts and one was largely under maintenance while we were there which very much slowed things down. But not a deal breaker and these things happen in a hotel. It is close to the beach, and close to lots of shops and restaurants. They offer beach chairs and towels for guests. We were there for a wedding so they put up with a lot of us and with a few shenanigans with a smile on their faces! Overall, a wonderful hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Ipanema, which is a great spot.

• Stayed: July 2013
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your candid comments on our property. I’m truly glad to know you had such a wonderful stay during such important occasion.

It’s nice to know that you found our hotel modern and beautiful. In fact we consider Mar Ipanema Hotel a boutique hotel. Our decoration, inspired in our cities postcards grants our property a unique character, greatly different than what happens with chain hotels. The same occurs with our rooms, which are decorated by prestigious Brazilian designers.

I’m happy to know you found our breakfast delicious. Did you try the Brazilian delicacies that are served there, such as pão-de-queijo, matte, tropical fruits and many more?

Concerning the beach equipment, we provide our guests complimentary use of each towels, chairs and umbrellas, which are really handy, since the daily rent at the beach costs up to R$ 20.00 per day!

Although I got to know that you had some minor issues with the wedding, I was delighted to know that our front desk staff was able to help you to sort all of such issues.

In connection with our lift, I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Unfortunately we had to make small repairs which were quickly concluded.

Once again, thank you very much for your great reviews and compliments to our property. We hope to see you again soon!

Henrique de Abreu

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel has a perfect location and very nice rooms. The breakfast was served in the adjacent resturant/bar. The selection for breakfast was wide. We were lucky and got a room with a view, from which we could see part of the beautiful city and its hillside.

The hotel is only some blocks from Ipanema beach and there are several stores and nice restaurants in the nearby area.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear guest,

Good to know you enjoyed our prime location! As you mentioned, Mar Ipanema Hotel is located just two blocks away from the wonderful Ipanema beach in the fancy residential district of Ipanema, being surrounded by the best restaurants and trendiest shops in town.

I’m glad enjoyed our rooms. We refurbished all rooms and we are proud to let you know that we are the only 100% refurbished hotel in Leblon/Ipanema districts. Our rooms are equipped with ’32 LCD TVs, split A/Cs, Ipod docks and many other items so as to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

This hotel is on the main street with traffic going up it for most of the day. I had no problem with any noise (was on floor 6) but a person complained about it and they were on floor 11! If you're used to living in suburbia or on a farm, then any central venue will be noisy for you.

The room we got was clean and well maintained. The aircon worked well and the bed was very comfortable. We found that we didn't hear our neighbours at all. Good sized shower and bathrooms. Good internet connection. The lifts were a tad slow, particularly at busy times.

Reception staff were hit or miss. Mostly fine, but sometimes you felt as if you were talking to someone who was on day 7 of doing the graveyard shift. Organised a half day tour through them which while pricey, ticked some of the things we wanted to see. Had one person at breakfast talking to us saying they would not let his brother come up to the room and wait before they went out. Told by staff that this is a "family hotel". Ok. I can understand the hotel now wanting people bring back a certain type of person into the building, but at 10am in the morning?

Location is good. Only a few blocks from the beach and better to be here than there as there isn't much happening on the beach side in the evenings when you do want to be close to your hotel. There are local buses outside which are handy, we used them more than expected. We took them to the Metro which is about 15/20 mins up the road. We only used taxis to and from the airport and if you are going to the airport in rush hour, allow plenty of time. Our midday journey to the hotel took 25 mins, but our evening departure to the airport took 1hr 20mins!

We like to walk a lot so we walked up to Copacobana and along the beaches, to Leblon, the Botanical Gardens, the Lake and more. After seeing Copacobana, I think we made the right choice to stay in Ipanema.

Breakfast was a mixed affair, The oj was watered down, a lot! I liked those little cheese dough balls they had and the cakes as well. Service was good overall with a minor exception on the one time we had a late breakfast and they were trying to clear up. To their credit they did tell us that they will be clearing the buffet in 10 mins, it was just the over eagerness to take our plates away that was a tad annoying.

Over all, if you can sleep with city noise and don't mind a walk to the beach, this is a nice clean hotel to stay in and I would go back if the price is right next time I'm in Ipanema.

Room Tip: If you are not used to city noises, bring ear plugs. If you live in a metropolis, you'll be fine...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fly4fun2
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your awesome and complete review! I’m really happy to know you had such a great time!

Regarding our location, in fact we are centrally located, in the heart of Ipanema, surrounded by Rio’s best restaurants and finest shops, in an area known as “Charm Square”. In fact Ipanema is a much more sophisticated and residential area in comparison with Copacabana.

Concerning our rooms, they were all recently refurbished and we are proud to let you know that we are the only 100% refurbished hotel in Leblon/Ipanema districts.

I’m happy you found the wi-fi connection that we offer our guests helpful. Contrary to most hotels in Rio, which charge up to R$ 60.00 daily for internet use, we offer the complimentary access to guests.

About the front desk staff, please note that we have a policy not to allow any visitors to have
access to rooms. Such measure, although may cause some inconvenience, aims to guarantee the safety of all of our guests.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the Brazilian delicacies we serve at our breakfast. The cheese dough balls are called “pão de queijo” and there is no way you can eat only one, right?

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for your complete and amazing review. At Mar Ipanema Hotel we take very much our guests’ feedback in consideration in order to improve our services and receiving complete reviews like yours is really helpful. We hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel is well located, 2 blocks from the beach of Ipanema. Also, it is less pricey than comparable alternatives in the same neighborhood. However the shower wasn't heating properly and the hair dryer did not work. The room size is pretty small, but you get your bed and that's all you need at the end of the day...
Still coming back next time? Probably.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your stay in Rio de Janeiro. I hope you had a great time.
Our location is no less than unbeatable. Two short blocks away from the marvelous Ipanema beach and surrounded by Rio’s best restaurants and finest shops, Mar Ipanema Hotel offers its guest the perfect location to discover what the city has best. Nonetheless, as you pointed out, our prices are generally 20-30% smaller than beachfront hotels.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the hair dryer and shower not working properly. Please note that are maintenance staff was able to fix both issues in no time. Also concerning the room, we are glad to say that the entire hotel was recently refurbished in order to provide our guests an even more comfortable stay.
Once again, thank you very much for your comments. There is no better compliment than to know that our guests would be happy in returning to our hotel.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one week. The location is ok, but not optimal, you still have a couple of blocks to the beach and I would recommend that you look for a beach front hotel for this price. The service and rooms are not worth your while of being away from the beach. The rooms are very small (even though I was in a superior room). The bed was a queen or king made of two smaller beds - very uncomfortable. Besides the bed, there was hardly any space. The bathroom was very small as well and some of the walls were plain concrete (no paint or decor). Aside from the room itself, I think the major drawback of this hotel is the service, in particular the front desk staff. Do NOT expect any sort of help or assistance from them. Check in time is at 2 pm and do not expect them to accommodate you any earlier as many hotels would. They have no information on tourists spots, directions or places to eat or shop. Of course, there is no concierge in this hotel. Most of the front desk staff is not very polite or knowledgeable. In contrast, the housekeeping staff is excellent and does a great job. There is no bathroom other than a tiny bath on the restaurant area. They have only one computer so you will need your own if you plan to be there for a few days. Breakfast is overall ok, but nothing special. There is an assortment of breads, cakes and some sandwiches and such, but some of the food is not very fresh, so be careful at what you select. Internet services goes on and off at all times, so does cable.

Room Tip: Try a higher floor, the street is pretty noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments and for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your stay at Rio de Janeiro. We take very much in consideration our guests’ feedbacks in order to improve the services rendered.
Initially, please allow me to say that your comments concerning our location stunned me. Although we are located two short blocks from the beach (less than 5 minutes walking), our prices are usually 20-30% inferior to beachfront hotels. Additionally, as you probably were able to notice, none of the restaurants and shops in Ipanema are located at the beachfront strip, but on adjacent or on Ipanema’s main road, in which we are located.
Our rooms are decorated by prestigious Brazilian designers, although unfortunately you did not appreciate the décor.
In regard of our front desk staff, I must highly disagree from your statement that they are not useful. Nonetheless I’ll be speaking with them personally in order to enquire why you had that notion.
Moreover, I would like to thank you on the compliments made to our housekeeping staff.
Once again, thank you very much for your comments. We hope to see you again soon so as to give you a better impression of our services.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for 2 visits of 2 nights, both in a superior room. One room was quite small and a little noisy at night (no double glazing) the other was much larger and quieter. Both rooms were extremely clean and the beds/sheets perfect.

We chose Mar Ipanema based on all the Tripadvisor reviews of hotels in the area for our budget, and we were not disappointed.The location is perfect for the beach, shops, everything. Breakfast is delicious and the restaurant below (sep from hotel) is nice choice for a quick dinner/drink.

Would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel on both of your short stays at Rio de Janeiro. I’m glad to know you were joyful with that decision.
I’m also quite happy myself that you found our prime location, since we are a stone’s throw away from Ipanema beach and our restaurant. Did you try any of the Brazilian delicacies or craft made beers served at the restaurant?
In regard of the windows, I would like to add that we are currently replacing all room windows to soundproof windows, which are as thick as the ones used in airports.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Safe location, plenty of taxis
Near ipanema beach within 5 minute walk
Wifi included
Friendly staff on check in
Well known (so easy to get a taxi to)

Expensive for what is included- this cost more than a good London/NY hotel (this may just be Rio...)
Room too small to swing a cat
Maid kept windows open so bugs came to stay with us
We were told breakfast was offsite for the first two days, it was in fact only one day. No one informed us of this change

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments on our hotel. We hope you enjoyed your stay.
In regard to your comments, I’m glad you pointed out so many good aspects of you hotel. It’s noteworthy that our hotel is one of the few in Rio de Janeiro that offers free wi-fi access.
Concerning the negative aspects, I would like to point out the are prices reflect the exclusivity of our services. As you noticed, Ipanema is a residential upscale neighborhood, much more than Copacabana I shall add.
In connection to the breakfast, I apologize for the inconvenience caused, but we felt that serving breakfast at our restaurant, as usual, would be more comfortable to all guests.
Once again, thank you for your comments on our hotel. We hope to see again soon!