“Perfect, new, clean little European hotel in Ipanema”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Ranked #80 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect, new, clean little European hotel in Ipanema”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Two streets away from the beach, on the main shopping street in Ipanema, next to a Devassa (try the beer there!), clean, great bed... what's not to love?

We stayed at the Marina Palace in Leblon the night before, a much more traditionally "luxury" hotel, and we liked Mar Ipanema way more. A real king-sized bed, well-lit chic room, small but excellent. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on Mar Ipanema Hotel and for sharing your holiday experience here on Trip Advisor! It makes us extremely happy that you were pleased with our hotel and services (and craft beers)!

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us a feedback on your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in Rio de Janeiro soon!

Mar Ipanema Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Well located. Nice rooms and facilities. Probabilly I would be glad to back there. The breakfeast is also good, despite the fact that the restaurant is no so big. Quite expensive, but it was the better deal that we could found out in Ipanema.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your stay in Rio de Janeiro. I hope you had a great time.

Good to know you enjoyed our prime location! Mar Ipanema Hotel is located just two blocks away from the wonderful Ipanema beach in the fancy residential district of Ipanema, being surrounded by the best restaurants and trendiest shops in town.

I’m delighted with your comments concerning our breakfast. I must agree with you, our breakfast selection is mouthwatering. I can only imagine how much you, as a Brazilian living abroad, missed the Brazilian delicacies that we serve. How were those? And what about the sweets served at breakfast?

Concerning our prices, please note that although our property is 100% renovated and located in an exclusive residential area of Rio de Janeiro, our prices are usually 20-30% lower than beachfront hotels.

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for your complete and amazing review. At Mar Ipanema Hotel we take very much our guests’ feedback in consideration in order to improve our services and receiving complete reviews like yours is really helpful. We hope to see you soon again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Mar Ipanema is well located and surrounded by lovely clothing shops, a grocery store, a chemist and a couple of lovely restaurants. The room I stayed in was nice and comfortable, well kept and very clean. I stayed on the 5th floor and the room was nice and quiet. The staff is very friendly and the restaurant below serves the nicest buffet breakfast. We had to be up and going by 6am every morning to ensure we catch the bus on time for our classes. The restaurant downstairs are open from very early and we could just walk in and have a scrumptious breakfast. I felt very safe in the area and could take a stroll on the beach whenever I felt like it. We were a group of students in Rio and some of the others stayed in surrounding hotels. From their conversations, it definitely sounded like Mar Ipanema was the place to be. If I had to visit Rio again, this hotel will definitely be my 1st choice.

Room Tip: Room 501 was nice and spacious with a lovely shower. This room was also quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Our location is no less than unbeatable. Two short blocks away from the marvelous Ipanema beach and surrounded by Rio’s best restaurants and finest shops, Mar Ipanema Hotel offers its guest the perfect location to discover what the city has best.

I’m glad you enjoyed our updated rooms. We refurbished all rooms and we are proud to let you know that we are the only 100% refurbished hotel in Leblon/Ipanema districts. Our rooms are equipped with ’32 LCD TVs, split A/Cs, Ipod docks and many other items so as to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

i understand the whole of rio is like this but would warn that what they call 4 star is an average 3 star in western standards. Rooms are tiny literally the bed that is it. My stay compounded by being woken up by indoor refurbishment at 8.30am which was supposed to start at 10am. Management didnt want to know. I would really look around as there is definitely better value for money.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank streda05
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your recent stay at Rio de Janeiro. We are glad you enjoyed our prime location, but we feel the need to clarify some aspects of your post.

At first, I would like to point out that we do not consider ourselves as a 4-star hotel. As you may see on our website, there is no reference to star classification. We rather believe we fit the boutique hotel category.
In regard of the rooms, I was also surprised to know you felt that way, especially due to that fact that we inform the size of rooms in most reservations websites.
Concerning the indoor refurbishment, I apologized for the inconvenience caused. I agree with you that such works should have had started at 10AM. Please note that I have already addresses the issue with our maintenance staff. Nonetheless, I feel you were unfair to say that the management did not want to know. If I had known at that time of the inconvenience caused, I would be able to personally apologize to you.

Nevertheless, we thank you for taking your time to send us your feedback on your stay with us.

Kind regards,

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel is in the main street of Ipanema, in the limit with Leblon area. Many stop buses, stores, bars and restaurant around the hotel. Ipanema area is much better than Copacabana. Nice room, nothing special, but helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on Mar Ipanema Hotel and for sharing your holiday experience here on Trip Advisor! It makes us extremely happy that you were pleased with our hotel and services! We would like to especially thank you for your kind words on our staff. They are all very dedicated, serving our guests with passion and enthusiasm and a review like this is a motivation for us to keep on giving our best everyday!

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This hotel has some pluses and some minuses but overall I think it is a good choice in Rio de Janeiro.

The things I liked about the hotel are:

· A terrific, location in Ipanema. The hotel is two short blocks from the beach and on a main shopping street. There is a big supermarket, right down the street from the hotel. It is close to many restaurants and bus lines.

· Security seems very good at the hotel; I always felt very safe there.

· The rooms have modern bathrooms with a shower that has amazing water pressure.

· The breakfast that is included with your stay is quite good. I looked forward to it every morning.

The negatives are
· There is no pool or outdoor space.

· My room was small and very boxy; However, it did have a bit of extra space where the hall was so it probably wasn’t as small as it appeared to be. My room faced an airshaft but was very quiet.

· The lighting was poor with overhead fluorescent fixture and poor bedside lamps.

While the hotel was clearly overpriced, the fact of life is that hotels in Rio are expensive, and it is worth spending the money to stay here, if only to be located in Ipanema. Despite the few flaws, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complete review and for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your vacations in Rio de Janeiro.

I’m quite happy to know that you found our location prime. As you pointed out, we are a stone’s throw away from Ipanema beach and a short walk from the lagoon, in a the upscale residential neighborhood of Ipanema.

Concerning the security, although Ipanema is a really safe area and crime rates have been decreasing astonishing in the last years, our hotel has security guards at all times at our front desk.

In regard of the you room facing an airshaft and being quiet, I would like to add that we are currently replacing all room windows to soundproof windows, which are as thick as the ones used in airports and provide our guests a great night’s sleep.

In connection with the outside areas I’m thrilled to let you know that we are concluding the construction of a leisure area at our Rooftop, which will include a gym, sauna, and a brand new Rooftop Bar!

I’m happy to know you found our breakfast delicious. Did you try the Brazilian delicacies that are served there, such as pão-de-queijo, matte, tropical fruits and many more?

Once again, thank you very much for your great review and compliments to our property. We hope to see you again soon!

Manchester, UK
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed here at carnival time so probably paid more than the hotels worth, but it was a nice comfortable hotel. The room was cleaned well daily and we didn't have any trouble with outside noise. The breakfast was good but we had to pay extra for fresh coffee. We found the reception staff to be quite brusque on times.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your candid comments on our property. I’m truly glad to know you had such a wonderful stay during such important occasion.

I’m happy to know you found our breakfast delicious. Did you try the Brazilian delicacies that are served there, such as pão-de-queijo, matte as well as tropical fruits?

It’s good to know that you did not have trouble with the outside noise. We are currently replacing all of the rooms’ windows to soundproof windows in order to provide our guests an even better night’s sleep.

Regarding our front desk staff, I apologize they weren’t as helpful to you as they usually are. In fact, they get a lot of compliments from other reviewers. Was there any specific issue you felt they could have helped you more?