“Good location near Ipanema beach”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Ranked #81 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Good location near Ipanema beach and the ocean (guess that’s why it’s “Mar” Ipanema). It sits along a lively main street with shops/boutiques, markets, cafes/restaurants nearby or along quieter tree-lined side streets. There is no view, except of the main street (Rua Visconde de Piraja), but it shouldn’t really matter since you’ll likely spend most of your time at the beach. It’s only 2 blocks down the side street (Rua Anibel de Mendonca) to Posto-10 lifeguard tower on the western end of Ipanema beach. This stretch has volleyball & football courts near the beach-walk and main road. Since the beach is so wide it’s still easy to find an open spot of sand closer to the sea or you can easily walk to the adjacent postos.

My room was compact but brightly lit with modern furnishings, a large wardrobe (with in-room safe), small refrigerator/bar, wall-mounted flat-screen TV, and large windows overlooking the main street. The bathroom was similarly small but nicely outfitted with a modern shower (but no bathtub). Everything was kept clean and in good shape. Hallways are quiet, well lit, but narrow. It was quiet for most of my stay, but late one night voices from some adjacent room got amplified and transmitted through the bathroom ductwork making it sound like I had visitors in my room. Closing the bathroom door helped to cut down on the noise and fix the problem. I’m not sure if this was just the acoustics in my room or others have had a similar problem.

The hotel lobby is compact with front desk, some chairs/sofas, 2 elevators in the back, and a side entrance connecting to a Devassa café that serves the hotel breakfast in the mornings. The breakfast spread is small, but has enough variety to cover most tastes. Hot dishes (eggs, sausage) are included along with fresh fruits & juices, milk/coffee, cereals, and breads/pastries typically found at Brazilian breakfast buffets. The adjacent Devassa is great for grabbing a cold beer and snack after a day at the beach or in the evening before dinner.

Lack of a proper hotel restaurant was not a problem due to several good spots within walking distance, like Viasete, Bazzar, or Nik Sushi. You might find them mentioned in your tour-book, and all were taste-tested during this trip & are recommended. Within a block and across the street is a Zona Sul grocery where you can stock up on snacks/food/water. A nearby park (Praca Nossa Senhora da Paz) about 2 blocks away has a farmers market set up on Fridays. It was a treat to walk through it to see the amazing assortment of fresh fruits, flowers, meats, and seafood offered for sale.

Front desk personnel were all courteous and professional. The hotel offers to schedule city tours, and it was a simple matter to do so at the front desk a day in advance.

It’s easy to recommend Mar Ipanema since it offers good, reasonably priced accommodation with close proximity to the beach, good shops, and nice restaurants in Ipanema.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank CarlosFR
HenriqueAbreuB, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complete review and for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your vacations in Rio de Janeiro.

I’m quite happy to know that you found our location prime. As you pointed out, we are a stone’s throw away from Ipanema beach and a short walk from the lagoon, in a the upscale residential neighborhood of Ipanema.

I’m happy to know you found our breakfast delicious. Did you try the Brazilian delicacies that are served there, such as pão-de-queijo, matte, tropical fruits and many more?

Nice to know that our front desk staff was helpful. I’ll congratulate them personally!

I’m glad you enjoyed our updated rooms. We refurbished all rooms and we are proud to let you know that we are the only 100% refurbished hotel in Leblon/Ipanema districts. Our rooms are equipped with ’32 LCD TVs, split A/Cs, Ipod docks and many other items so as to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay.

Once again, thank you very much for your great review and compliments to our property. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 8 nights. Originally I thought Copacabana was the place to be (the song was what brought me to that decision) but clearly not. The hotel is located in the heart of the lovely ipanema which, as the legend says, really is the home of the most beautiful people you will see to ever walk on a beach!

Fear not, there are just as many people with post Christmas bodies so I didn't feel too bad. Anyway, more about the hotel.

From the moment we arrived the hotel really looked after our welfare. I asked for a quiet room and they met that request, so close to new year too. I'll be honest, if its quiet you're after you might be best staying off the beaten track but if you don't mind the murmer of cars below you as you sleep (its really not that bad) then please consider this hotel.

The room was cleaned everyday and a great size for a couple. Very soft beds and two pillows each! For breakfast there is alot of choice.. the fruit is fresh and tasty and you must try the little balls of cheese.
The breakfast is served in a bar next door (which does its own beer). One tip would be to ask that your room isnt close to it as at night its very busy so might disturb you.

We booked two trips with the hotel. The jeep tour which was fantastic and a must see, as well as a trip to the islands on a boat..also very good but long and tiring. Both times we booked we were well looked after by the lovely blonde receptionist who is a credit to her team.

The men who greet you as you come in are also great and always smiling.

I really did enjoy it here, and will recommend to all who choose to visit the city.

Final word of caution...prepare yourself for the brazillian bus/taxi drivers... they are crazy!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vgs34

Dear guest,

Concerning our location, I must agree with you that Copacabana over the years has become more of a tourist trap kind of place, while Ipanema is still the most upscale residential neighborhood in town. Our hotel, centrally located in Ipanema and a stone’s throw to both Lagoon and Ipanema beach, has just the perfect location to stay in Rio.

About the noise coming from the street, I must add that Ipanema is a very trendy neighborhood and may be busy at times. For that reason, we are currently replacing all room windows to soundproof windows in order to conceal any possible noise.

In regard of our staff, please be sure that all congratulate our bell boys and Andressa, from front desk personally! I’m happy to know that they were efficient and helpful as always.

We hope to see you soon again,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel is well located, just two blocks from the beach and a few blocks from the lake in the opposite direction. It's in the middle of a shopping district and is adjacent to a restaurant which is also the hotel's breakfast provider. There were no views to speak of, but the price was reasonable for the location and the staff were helpful. There was a strong emphasis on power saving, with the elevator waiting areas on each floor often being in total darkness until movement detectors switched on the lights - a little disconcerting at first. Like many hotels, the electrical services in the room were dependent on placing the room swipe card in a receptacle near the entrance door. While this is understandable from the hotel's point of view, it unfortunately means the air conditioning can't be left on when you're absent from the room, which results in returning to a very hot room and a very long wait before it becomes comfortable in the room.

Room Tip: Some of the room air conditioners can be noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank michaelpom
HenriqueAbreuB, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your candid comments on our property. I’m happy to know that you had a great time in Rio.

Good to know you enjoyed our prime location! As you mentioned, Mar Ipanema Hotel is located just two blocks away from the wonderful Ipanema beach in the fancy residential district of Ipanema, being surrounded by the best restaurants and trendiest shops in town.

We would like to especially thank you for your kind words on our staff. They are all very dedicated, serving our guests with passion and enthusiasm and a review like this is a motivation for us to keep on giving our best everyday!

Concerning our prices, please note that although our property is 100% renovated and located in an exclusive residential area of Rio de Janeiro, our prices are usually 20-30% lower than beachfront hotels.

In regard of our environmental policy, as being located in a country where the environment has a huge importance, we are very happy to have established a sustainable development agenda in order to minimize our hotel’s carbon footprint in our planet.

Once again, thank you for your candid comment on our property. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 14 days on dec 2013. The hotel is located 2 blocks away from the Beach and a few away from the lake on the opposite side. It is located on a busy street, lined with shops and restaurants which itself can keep you occupied if you are in the mood for shopping and don't want I wander away.

Even though rooms are a bit smaller to my liking, they are super clean and very comfortable. The bathroom in the room is clean and well maintained.

They have an electronic safe, which is useful. Laundry option is a bit pricy but then, the job done was great !!! I would expect a coffee maker to be placed in the room, since I being an ardent coffee lover, missed it a lot.

The staff are good and cordial and prompt in service. They allowed me to change to a room with a better view ( I could see the statue of Christ the Redeemer from my room) up on request. They sent me a duplicate receipt over email within an hour of my email request.

This hotel also offer complementary WiFi and breakfast, which is easy on your valet. The breakfast served by the next door restaurant is great. I loved it for a few days, but the same kind of breakfast for 14 days is kind of boring. Don't get me wrong the food is great especially the fresh coffee !!!

Tip : Ask for a room on one of the top floors, if you are looking for a view or if you are a light sleeper.

Overall a pleasant experience - recommended

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Akhil M
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I’m also quite happy to know that you found our location prime. As you pointed out, we are a stone’s throw away from Ipanema beach and a short walk from the lagoon, in a the upscale residential neighborhood of Ipanema.

Good to know you found our breakfast delicious. Did you try the Brazilian delicacies that are served there, such as pão-de-queijo, matte, tropical fruits and many more?

In regard of the complimentary wifi access, I would like to add that few hotels in Rio offer this amenity to guests. Wifi access may cost up to R$ 60,00 per day at hotels in Rio.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here for the Rio part of our honeymoon. The hotel is only two blocks from Ipanema beach and within walking distance of plenty of nice restaurants. The breakfast, which is served in the adjoining cafe, was superb, with plenty of variety. The staff were helpful with any questions we had although one guy was a little grumpy looking but ok once he got talking. Our room was of average size, there was a bit of noise from traffic but this is to be expected in a city centre location. Oh and they even had a complimentary bottle of wine for us when we arrived. Would I stay again? Definately.... for the breakfast alone!
Btw we actually stayed in Aug 2012

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your stay in Rio de Janeiro. I hope you had a great time at Rio and are very happy together!

About the noise, please notice that since your stay we have replaced over 60% of the rooms’ windows to soundproof windows, in order to provide our guests an even better night's sleep.

I’m delighted with your comments concerning our breakfast. I must agree with you, our breakfast selection is mouthwatering. I can only imagine how much you, as a Brazilian living abroad, missed the Brazilian delicacies that we serve. How were those? And what about the sweets served at breakfast?

Again, thank you very much for your kind words. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Mar Ipanema is a very nice hotel. I liked the retro decor in the lobby and the rooms, while not particularly inspiring, were very clean, comfortable with nice bathrooms. Ours has a glimpse of the lagoa as well. Staff were very professional and helpful. The only (small) let down was the breakfast which was pretty average. The hotel is also in a really good location close to the beach and to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ALM_KJD
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your candid comments on our property. I’m truly glad to know you had a nice stay.

It’s nice to know that you found our hotel modern and beautiful. In fact we consider Mar Ipanema Hotel a boutique hotel. Our decoration, inspired in our cities postcards grants our property a unique character, greatly different than what happens with chain hotels. The same occurs with our rooms, which are decorated by prestigious Brazilian designers.

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for your complete and amazing review. At Mar Ipanema Hotel we take very much our guests’ feedback in consideration in order to improve our services and receiving complete reviews like yours is really helpful. We hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

The best thing going for this hotel is its location, which is two blocks from the beach. The rooms are three-star category, not four that is advertised. The bathrooms are particularly disappointing because the shower is tiny, and the toilet is positioned too close to the wall.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael T
MarIpanemaHotel, Gerente at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on Mar Ipanema Hotel and for sharing your holiday experience here on Trip Advisor!

I’m glad you noticed that our property has been updated. We refurbished all rooms and we are proud to let you know that we are the only 100% refurbished hotel in Leblon/Ipanema districts. Our rooms are equipped with ’32 LCD TVs, split A/Cs, Ipod docks, complimentary wi-fi access and many other items so as to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay.

Once again, thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you again soon!