“Great Hotel location & Fantastic Hotel Staff”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #80 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 23 December 2009

I stayed at the Mar Ipanema for six nights while in Rio. The location was perfect. The view from my hotel window was Ipanema beach to the left and Christ the Redeemer to the right. Only about 1.5 blocks to the beach @ station 10. Close to eating places and shopping. The hotel staff was incredible helping me find the Harley Davidson dealership, good places to eat as well as helping me find some plastic wrap for a umbrella that was to large for my suitcase that I bought and wanted to take home as a second piece of luggage. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. It was one of nicest hotel staffs I have ever encountered on my traveling all over the world. I probably will not go back to Rio but I definitely would suggest to anyone who does go to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 December 2009

Overall, this a good hotel, and I would probably stay there again. The location is excellent, walking distance from the beach and various amenities. Everything in the hotel is clean and well maintained; the rooms are modern and comfortable, the staff is helpful and the breakfast is very good. My only complaint is the noise, both from the street and from the air conditioning. We were given one of the quietest rooms, on the highest floor and away from the main street. Still, the noise was enough to discourage us from opening the windows. The AC is extremely noisy, of the air-compressed type with the compressor inside the room. It is absolutely impossible to sleep with the AC on. We stayed at the hotel during a wave of heat and the only way we could get some rest was to keep the AC off, the windows open and use earplugs. We suffered the heat, but at least we slept. This would be a perfect hotel in cool weather, but the AC is really a problem.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Nice hotel with new furniture and fittings.
Possibly in the most covinient location of rio for leisure: on the main street of Ipanema, 5 minutes walk from Leblon and 20 minutes from Copacabana. You can be in 1 minute on the beach or on the lake with views on the Corcovado.
The staff is generally very nice and the breakfast is not huge but of a good quality.

Just a few negative remarks:
- the aircon system is primitive, it does cool, but it does the same noise than a Boing 747. The other problem is that, whan you switch it off, it is still very noisy as the windows are far from soundproof.
- it is not cheap at all, ok that you pay the location, but for that sort of money I paid you get 5 stars even in european cities.

By the way, Rio is not as dangerous as everyone wants you to think. Just be sensible more or less as you would be in any other big city.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dcp772000
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend trip to Rio with 14 colleagues.

The rooms are reasonable size with airconditioning. There is a lockable safety deposit box in the room which is an additional cost. I was on the 4th floor which was quite noisy.

We are breakfast and also dinner at Devassa Bar & Restaurant and both were very good. There is a very large selection of food at the buffet breakfast.

The location is certainly the best thing about this hotel. It is right in the middle of the Ipanema shopping and is only 2 blocks from Ipanema beach.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 20 November 2009

After looking for Tripadvisor user's opinions, I decided to book at this Hotel, but
didn't pay attention to what just a few travelers had said about robbery in rooms.

I've been traveling more than 20 times in Rio for more than 20 years, and I never had a problem like this-

I left some dollars in safe deposit box, it works with a key, it's not an electronic safe
deposit box) just 2 days before leaving.

When I came back from having a good time, first thing I did was take a look at the
safe box, and I've found the big surprise, my money wasn't there anymore, even that
I've called the police, they didn't show up, so right by the way, I decided to leave
this place.

They charge the safe deposit box 3 reales for each day plus tax, take care !!! The
front desk tried to charge me 3 reales plus 2 reales for taxes !!! when it is 5%
ONLY, incredible, but it's true, so I decided not pay for those rare "taxes", in the same moment my bill has been changed.

Don't leave your money or credit card in the safe deposit box, this is my advice.

No frills in this hotel, just that I've found a coackroach in the room !!!

I will never come back to Brasil, nor would I recommend this hotel to friends or
enemies.

Bye bye Brasil !!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank nightmareatrj
Reviewed 15 October 2009

The location of this hotel is really very good and this would be the main reason to stay there. It is 2 mins from Ipanema beach in a very nice area with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops. The rooms are ok and for Rio I think pricewise it is reasonable value for money. Service was ok, did not really get the sense that the reception staff would go the extra mile in any way and generally lacked a bit of warmth. The rooms are fine but do insist upon one higher up if you can - I still got quite a bit of noise on the 8th floor. Devassa bar/restaurant attached to the hotel is worth trying. In summary this certainly isnt the best hotel in Rio but its not bad and having also stayed at Copacabana I cannot stress how much more I liked staying in Ipanema.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We stayed 3 times in the hotel during September. We booked this hotel mainly because it is located in a safe area near the Ipanema beach and we were pleasantly surprised.
Rio was our base from which we traveled to north and southern Brazil and we were always happy to come back to this hotel.
The location is indeed perfect, just 2 blocks (2 min) from the beach and on a central street with lots of shops and restaurants. Also there is a big supermarket right across the street.
The hotel restaurant served excellent breakfasts. We also ate lunch there which was also good – you could choose to eat from their buffet for 25 Real per person. In lunch and dinner the restaurant was almost full.
After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor we asked in advance to be given a room on a higher floor and they accepted our requests. We stayed one time on the 10th floor and one time on the 11th floor from which we had some view of the bay and the Corcovado. I must say that even on these floors there is still some noise from the busy street during the day but nothing that bothered us and at night it was very quite.
There are two types of rooms: standard and superior, which were very clean and comfortable, and we stayed in both of them. There is no actual difference between them except the price… We even more liked the standard room.
Front desk staff was professional and spoke fluent English. They were happy to answer any question we had.
The hotel has a computer station near the front desk and also free Wi-Fi connectivity which we used in the room.
Our comments are regarding the hotel concierge service: at first we ordered our taxis from them. They were calling drivers they knew and gave us a fix price. One time we took this taxi to the Corcovado and although were given a fix price the meter was running (the meter was running also during our 1 hour tour there). When we returned to the hotel the meter showed much less amount than the fixed price and the driver was exchanging money with the concierge… Since then we just took our taxies from the street and our advice to you is to do the same.
To conclude – we really enjoyed our stay in the hotel and considering its rate and other hotels in the area we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple