“location, location, location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 280 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Baltimore, Maryland
“location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The location of the hotel is perfect, write on the waterfront in one of the best areas of Rio, Leblon. The room was fine, but the view of Leblon beach was great! The bar attached to the hotel has a nice shene at night and good drinks. I also liked the roof top on the 26th floor. There is a small pool and few tables and a bar. It is a nice place to have a drink and enjoy the wonderful view. You can see from all directions; the two brother mountain on one side, Corcovado on the other, the beach and the ocean from the opposite sites. The people at the reception were nice and knowledgeable. The restaurant needs work. I was turned off by how small it was (the main part of the restaurant was open only during breakfast) , the limited menu and kind of indifferent staff. Another issue was the internet. In the room was by the hour, and it was expensive. You could get free wifi only on the roof. One of the times I connect on the roof for free, I managed to have free internet in the room, too (I did not turn my computer off while I was moving from the 26 floor to my room). The next day this trick did not work, but then it worked the third day. It is worth trying it, if you need internet for more than few minutes. Despite these few issues, this is a place that I would go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for posting your comments. We are very satisfied to know about your remarkable stay. We are also very enthusiastic about our location, a few steps from the best area at Leblon beach and to a great selection of shops, restaurants and also close to the favelas, where you can experience the different side of Brazil.

We truly understand that nowadays we need internet mostly during the entire day, that is why we provide free internet not only at the pool area, but at the restaurant and also and the lobby.
Be sure that the restaurant is being taking care, we are renovating the actual restaurant floor which is not the one you have met. As well, we are bringing new team members to that sector which will be happy to welcome you in a near future, hopefully with the new menu that is also being prepared.

Thanks again for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! We are looking forward to have you back!

Raquel Gulin - Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in December 2013 on business. The hotel is at the exclusive end of the run of Rio's beaches at Leblon (Ipanema is next, followed by Copacabana). Even so, I did not feel safe enough to go for a walk on the beach on my own. The desk staff are nice, with the exception of one young man who was very rude to me when I asked to order a taxi to travel across the city. (I think he was displeased that did not take the more expensive 'hotel car').

The hotel is expensive. It cost 950 euros for 5 nights and that did not include breakfast. Wifi in the room was extra also which is a bit much at these prices. There was no tea / coffee making facility in the room, so I brought my own travel kettle etc. For the best part of a grand, I would have expected to be able to make a cup of tea. I dined in the restaurant one night alone, and did not feel particularly welcome. The view from the hotel rooms and roof is spectacular. While the main bar is ok, the small bar at the tiny pool on the roof is worth a visit. Overall, though, I would not be hurrying back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Suzy,

I would like to thank you for bringing us your experience and also to the other travelers. Leblon is one the safest districts in Rio. You may just cross the street to be at the beach and it is also sorrounded by many shopping options and some of the best restaurants in town. You can do all that just walking a few minutes in a safe area.
I am sorry about the impression left by the receptionist while assisting you with the taxi, I will make sure to revise that with all team members. We are also building a new team in the restaurant, and they will definitely make you feel welcome during your next visit.
I guarantee you that I will bring your suggestion about the kettle to our management team. Marina is now going through renovations and not only the decor and structure will be changed, but we are also analysing new items to be offered to the guests.
Finally, be aware that the renovation of the pool and pool bar will be our strong point in a near future. We will have a bigger pool and also the area around.
I wish that I brought you some good news and we wish to welcome you back at Marina Palace to show you how important your comments are to us.

Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel has the best location on the strip. Ipanema and Copacabana have had their time and now its time for Leblon which is also relatively safe with buzzing shops bars and restaurants nearby.

The staff are good and helpful which is very important. Breakfast is decent and the services are generally good across the board. Well done to the staff.

The rooms are clean and the water pressure in the showers is excellent. No wifi in the rooms but there is free wifi in the lobby.

Now the downside is that the rooms are small and a bit dated but keep in mind that most hotels we saw on the Rio beach strip are like that. Its a case of managing your expectations and knowing what you are getting into. High price doesnt mean much down here as hotels are very expensive compared to other cities.

Note well, the pool and spa are so small they are virtually non existent.

You could do a lot worse than the Marina Palace so its defi worth strong consideration as a hotel option in Rio.

Room Tip: request a higher floor as the strip out front is loud and busy
1 Thank Sidji
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending your comments. Ipanema and Copacabana are great districts as well, however, I agree with you that they are not as peaceful as Leblon is anymore. Even though being a quiet district Leblon is surrounded by great shop options and one the best restaurants in the city, which you can go walking.
Your compliments were transmitted to the team, who were cheerful to hear.
Marina Palace is under some renovations already including some rooms. With new furnitures, new decor and new patterns the rooms will provide much more comfort and space for the guests.
Also, be sure that the pool will be our strength, which will be done in 2015. Besides that, there will be an entire floor renovated and it will be accompanied by a new Spa and Gym.

I wish our news made you happy and we will be glad to welcome you again at the Marina Palace in an upcoming visit to Rio!

Kind Regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hotel needs a lot of work, stayed at the 80´s. Manteinance is not it´s best. Pool is very small, but its in front of Leblon beach, which is beautiful. Windows stayed open so street sounds were anoying, we stayed at 6th floor, maybe other floors were updated.

Room Tip: The higher the best.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pablo M
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Pablo,

We have in fact a very old infra structure, Marina is a tradicional hotel in Rio and very well known in the city. However, that does not hamper our guests to have a good stay. If you went through any inconvenience please, I would like to kindly ask you to inform me via e-mail so we are able to check if there is anything to fix and ensure it will not occur with other guests. (raquel.gulin@bhg.net)
I wish that you were very well attended by our staff, who has the greatest affection to provide enjoyable moments to our guests.
The 6th floor is actually one of our oldest ones, but we do have already renovated floors. On the other hand, I have the pleasure to inform you that Marina currently undergoes new renovations including a new floor which will have 10 apartments fully refurbished and ready for the World Cup.
Besides that, the entire hotel will go though renovations, including all the floors, lobby, restaurant, pool, events rooms, and also the inclusion of an spa and and outsourced fitness room, which will be much bigger.
I hope you get the chance to meet the new facilities youself. It will be a pleasure to have you as a guest one more time!

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I go to Rio once a year and we dont like to stay anywhere else but at Marina Palace.
The staff is excellent, we had few problems during our stay but all of them were sorted it out very quickly.
Great staff, breakfast, location and view.
Marina Is the best hotel in Leblon.
Thanks hotel Marina for make our vacation Perfect.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending your comments. It is amazing to know that you've got a wonderful time with us. It is our constant effort to improve our services and provide the best assistance to our guest and clients.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great hotel with a great Location, a true 4 star hotel with fantastic service.. The Marina Palace was well located with a spectacular view over the ocean, Leblon and Ipanema beache. The Rooftop bar was spacious and comfortable, a small pool for cooling off was on offer along with the great view of Christ the Redeemer and the idyllic beaches and mountains. With free Wi-Fi on offer in public areas it allowed you to relax in the cool lobby with some free lemon water or on the roof basking in the endless Brazilian sun. The hotel also offered free beach service, with towels, chairs and umbrellas allowing you to soak up the sun without the hassle of bargaining for your chair with the local beach vendors. When we planned our trip in Rio the concierges offered brilliant service, and good english recommending local off the beaten track tours, as well as main stream line tours. Carlos booked and organised our week as per his recommendations, with dinner at the some of the best restaurants in the area all organised with piece of mind.
Our room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the shower head was large with wonderful pressure.
The only thing I can fault about the hotel would be the slow lifts, the floor in the room needed to be vacummed daily and the useless bidet which took up much needed space in the bathroom; besides this I will definitely be back to Marina Palace Leblon.
We chose Leblon beach over Copacabana to get away from the touristy, crowded area of Copacabana. Leblon being the wealthiest neighbourhood in Rio, allowed for a safer feeling, and a real local setting in comparison to bumping shoulders with other tourists. Defiantly will return to Leblon and Marina Palace.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Your compliments were transmitted to the team, who were delighted to hear.
Leblon is indeed safer and less crowded than Copacabana, so much better ro have relaxed moments.
We hope to welcome you back in our hotel sooner rather than later, when you will be able to once again enjoy our prime location and unique services.

Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We had sn amazin time in this hotel, staff is really kind , clean and safe . English should be improuved but it's ok . I loved breakfast , very good! Best location in Leblon with a top View From The pool . It's close also to The bus stop! The room From our room was nice , we could see The cristo and The ipanema beach. Lovely days !

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Biancochef82
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We are extremely happy by your wonderful review regarding the recent stay with us at Marina Palace.Your compliments were transmitted to the team, who were delighted to hear.
It is great to know that you enjoyed our tasty breakfast with selected fresh fruits and breads and many other items. Good to know as well that you managed to get around with nearby bus stations.

I hope you get the chance to stay with us again many other times!