“Good location, could try harder”

Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon
Ranked #98 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I arrived at this hotel at 2.15pm after a 18 hour journey, for what was meant to be a 2pm check in. I was told that my room was not ready but to have a seat in the roof terrace bar and my room would be ready in less that half an hour, and was assured someone would come and get me. After forty five minutes no one had arrived so i returned to reception. I was told my room was now ready but it was not the room that i had been told was being prepared for me. No one came to tell me the room was ready. The gentleman who i asked about my room was dismissive and did not apologise to me for my wait. Eventually I was able to get into my room. The rooms was fine but you cannot open the windows and you cannot regulate the air con, it is either on or off. The Wi Fi cost 100 real for three days and was spotty to say the least. I was helped by Carlos, who was the best of the desk staff and seemed to genuinely want to help. I asked for some shampoo on my second day, by my third day i was still waiting.The breakfast is good, but again it would be nice to open a window and let some air into the place. A word of warning there is a lot of traffic right outside the hotel and on different days its heading in different directions, one day from the left the next day from the right. So look both ways. At around 200 pounds per night you would probably expect more. Rio is not expensive to drink or eat out by London or New York standards,the taxi's are cheap, its only the hotels that cost the earth.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible, as they are renovating from the top down.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Junglelad
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us and other travellers. We regret to hear that your experience at Hotel Marina Palace was not up to your expectations, as our first and most important goal is to offer each of our guests a memorable experience.
Please allow me to apologize for the service failure you had experienced with us because as I said, this is not our goal. Rest assured that your feedback plays an important role for us in better understanding the perception of our customers and it was be forwarded to the management team. We emphasized about that with all team member to make sure it does not happen again.
As you may have noticed, Marina is now under renovations, and the change of the air conditioning is one of our top 5 priorities. Also, as you mentioned we offer wireless service for a fee in the rooms as it is a secure and protected connection and complimentary 24hrs wireless service in the public areas of the hotel as well.
Please, feel free to contact me previously your next stay with us I am can provide you a personalized service. (raquel.gulin@bhg.net) We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon, in order to win back your trust.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed in this place because it was recommended to us by some friends from work. They told us the location was perfect to walk to Leblon neighborhood, shopping centers and good restaurants and they were right!. All within walking distance, although at night I would recommend you take a cab for safety. The room we were given was one of the updated ones, so needless to say we had a pretty clean and modern room with a spectacular view from our windows! We hired a cab who was our driver for the day to take us to Sugarloaf, the Chris the Redeemer Statue, etc., it was all worth it. On a Sunday we walk all the pathway on Ipanema and it was very nice and relaxing. Yes, I've heard that this place is expensive, but I think it is expensive in any other hotel you stay in front of the beach, so I was ok with that.
We travel on a October. I have been recommending this place to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great comment regarding the recent stay with us, at Hotel Marina Palace. It is fantastic to hear how excellent you found our services. I take this opportunity to apologize for the late reply and for any inconvenience that may have occurred during your stay at our hotel.

I have the pleasure to inform you that our restaurant staff is being recombined, and so is the restaurant which is now located temporarily on the third floor. It will be ready for the Worl Cup completely modernised.

We wish to welcome you back rather sooner than later!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The location of the hotel is perfect, write on the waterfront in one of the best areas of Rio, Leblon. The room was fine, but the view of Leblon beach was great! The bar attached to the hotel has a nice shene at night and good drinks. I also liked the roof top on the 26th floor. There is a small pool and few tables and a bar. It is a nice place to have a drink and enjoy the wonderful view. You can see from all directions; the two brother mountain on one side, Corcovado on the other, the beach and the ocean from the opposite sites. The people at the reception were nice and knowledgeable. The restaurant needs work. I was turned off by how small it was (the main part of the restaurant was open only during breakfast) , the limited menu and kind of indifferent staff. Another issue was the internet. In the room was by the hour, and it was expensive. You could get free wifi only on the roof. One of the times I connect on the roof for free, I managed to have free internet in the room, too (I did not turn my computer off while I was moving from the 26 floor to my room). The next day this trick did not work, but then it worked the third day. It is worth trying it, if you need internet for more than few minutes. Despite these few issues, this is a place that I would go again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for posting your comments. We are very satisfied to know about your remarkable stay. We are also very enthusiastic about our location, a few steps from the best area at Leblon beach and to a great selection of shops, restaurants and also close to the favelas, where you can experience the different side of Brazil.

We truly understand that nowadays we need internet mostly during the entire day, that is why we provide free internet not only at the pool area, but at the restaurant and also and the lobby.
Be sure that the restaurant is being taking care, we are renovating the actual restaurant floor which is not the one you have met. As well, we are bringing new team members to that sector which will be happy to welcome you in a near future, hopefully with the new menu that is also being prepared.

Thanks again for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! We are looking forward to have you back!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in December 2013 on business. The hotel is at the exclusive end of the run of Rio's beaches at Leblon (Ipanema is next, followed by Copacabana). Even so, I did not feel safe enough to go for a walk on the beach on my own. The desk staff are nice, with the exception of one young man who was very rude to me when I asked to order a taxi to travel across the city. (I think he was displeased that did not take the more expensive 'hotel car').

The hotel is expensive. It cost 950 euros for 5 nights and that did not include breakfast. Wifi in the room was extra also which is a bit much at these prices. There was no tea / coffee making facility in the room, so I brought my own travel kettle etc. For the best part of a grand, I would have expected to be able to make a cup of tea. I dined in the restaurant one night alone, and did not feel particularly welcome. The view from the hotel rooms and roof is spectacular. While the main bar is ok, the small bar at the tiny pool on the roof is worth a visit. Overall, though, I would not be hurrying back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Suzy,

I would like to thank you for bringing us your experience and also to the other travelers. Leblon is one the safest districts in Rio. You may just cross the street to be at the beach and it is also sorrounded by many shopping options and some of the best restaurants in town. You can do all that just walking a few minutes in a safe area.
I am sorry about the impression left by the receptionist while assisting you with the taxi, I will make sure to revise that with all team members. We are also building a new team in the restaurant, and they will definitely make you feel welcome during your next visit.
I guarantee you that I will bring your suggestion about the kettle to our management team. Marina is now going through renovations and not only the decor and structure will be changed, but we are also analysing new items to be offered to the guests.
Finally, be aware that the renovation of the pool and pool bar will be our strong point in a near future. We will have a bigger pool and also the area around.
I wish that I brought you some good news and we wish to welcome you back at Marina Palace to show you how important your comments are to us.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel has the best location on the strip. Ipanema and Copacabana have had their time and now its time for Leblon which is also relatively safe with buzzing shops bars and restaurants nearby.

The staff are good and helpful which is very important. Breakfast is decent and the services are generally good across the board. Well done to the staff.

The rooms are clean and the water pressure in the showers is excellent. No wifi in the rooms but there is free wifi in the lobby.

Now the downside is that the rooms are small and a bit dated but keep in mind that most hotels we saw on the Rio beach strip are like that. Its a case of managing your expectations and knowing what you are getting into. High price doesnt mean much down here as hotels are very expensive compared to other cities.

Note well, the pool and spa are so small they are virtually non existent.

You could do a lot worse than the Marina Palace so its defi worth strong consideration as a hotel option in Rio.

Room Tip: request a higher floor as the strip out front is loud and busy
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sidji
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending your comments. Ipanema and Copacabana are great districts as well, however, I agree with you that they are not as peaceful as Leblon is anymore. Even though being a quiet district Leblon is surrounded by great shop options and one the best restaurants in the city, which you can go walking.
Your compliments were transmitted to the team, who were cheerful to hear.
Marina Palace is under some renovations already including some rooms. With new furnitures, new decor and new patterns the rooms will provide much more comfort and space for the guests.
Also, be sure that the pool will be our strength, which will be done in 2015. Besides that, there will be an entire floor renovated and it will be accompanied by a new Spa and Gym.

I wish our news made you happy and we will be glad to welcome you again at the Marina Palace in an upcoming visit to Rio!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hotel needs a lot of work, stayed at the 80´s. Manteinance is not it´s best. Pool is very small, but its in front of Leblon beach, which is beautiful. Windows stayed open so street sounds were anoying, we stayed at 6th floor, maybe other floors were updated.

Room Tip: The higher the best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pablo M
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Pablo,

We have in fact a very old infra structure, Marina is a tradicional hotel in Rio and very well known in the city. However, that does not hamper our guests to have a good stay. If you went through any inconvenience please, I would like to kindly ask you to inform me via e-mail so we are able to check if there is anything to fix and ensure it will not occur with other guests. (raquel.gulin@bhg.net)
I wish that you were very well attended by our staff, who has the greatest affection to provide enjoyable moments to our guests.
The 6th floor is actually one of our oldest ones, but we do have already renovated floors. On the other hand, I have the pleasure to inform you that Marina currently undergoes new renovations including a new floor which will have 10 apartments fully refurbished and ready for the World Cup.
Besides that, the entire hotel will go though renovations, including all the floors, lobby, restaurant, pool, events rooms, and also the inclusion of an spa and and outsourced fitness room, which will be much bigger.
I hope you get the chance to meet the new facilities youself. It will be a pleasure to have you as a guest one more time!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I go to Rio once a year and we dont like to stay anywhere else but at Marina Palace.
The staff is excellent, we had few problems during our stay but all of them were sorted it out very quickly.
Great staff, breakfast, location and view.
Marina Is the best hotel in Leblon.
Thanks hotel Marina for make our vacation Perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending your comments. It is amazing to know that you've got a wonderful time with us. It is our constant effort to improve our services and provide the best assistance to our guest and clients.