“Disappointing”

Merlin Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #26 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was a rather shabby hotel in a part of town that's seen better days. Rooms were dark with worn out fixtures and fittings. While only a few blocks walk to the beach, it's along a busy road and not an area that very welcoming, especially at night. Checked out early & moved to a hotel in Ipenema beach. For the same money, a much better place to stay with a better quality hotel and a much better atmosphere around it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed 11 May 2013

This hotel was indicated to me by a friend of mine.
The hotel is beaut, location is good (near to Copacabana Beach and Tunel Rebouças), two blocks from the beach. Good breakfast (since there were everything that I like), however, there was no variety of food (ex: there was only one kind of cake, two kinds of juice, etc).
There is a smel of old place, most of attendants are old age (45-50 years old) people, except in the reception area, floor and wall of marble in the bathroom . Double bed size, not king size bed, but it was ok for me.
During day, there was a lot of people in the street and in the avenue, the trafic of cars are intense in the avenue. It is good because it was not dangerous in my point of view.
There was a problem in my stay there: the water from shower box drained to the floor of the bathroom in the room where I was.
It can be go for a walk in the beach before the work time. I wake up at 6:00h, walked in the beach for 45 min, returned to the hotel, took a shower, took my breakfest and went to work.
This hotel was ok.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The hotel is very close to the four stars displayed in the lobby. It is very near to the Copacabana beach and to a big shopping mall where you can eat a decent and not expensive meal in a different restaurant every day.
It’s clean: they clean the room and change the towels (good quality) daily’ The breakfast is diverse with a special mention for the pastries. The rooms are big and the view is either on the street going to the ocean, or (the back side) to a woodened hill. On top of it you can bathe in a tiny swimming pool and admire a fantastic view.
People are very nice but with two exceptions nobody (and I mean NOBODY) speak any other language except Portuguese. The same on the street and in each public place. I speak some five other languages besides English but it was useless. Probably the best advice for you will be to have a conversation book with you. Two annoying things: in the breakfast room the air conditioned is set to maximum fan speed and minimum temperature; it is almost impossible to find a place where to hide in order to be protected from getting a bad cold.
But the most annoying thing was the fact that after a few nights when my body was soaked in perspiration, I lifted the sheets and I found a plastic foil inserted between the sheets and the mattress. Such a thing I saw for the first time in a cheap hotel, in Paris, long time ago. I assumed that the place was used for romantic meetings. But you definitely wouldn’t expect such a thing in a four stars hotel. So, my advice is the first thing you should do when you first enter the room is to remove that plastic, if you wish to sleep in a dry pajama.
About the town: it is almost impossible to say something that never has been told about Rio. I have always been curious to see it with my own eyes. The impressions are mixed up. Do not think Rio is perfect. Because it isn’t.
But Rio is one of a kind. The landscape is unique. The world people divides itself in halves: people who has been and people who hasn’t been yet in Rio.
The town is huge and if you want to see the most beautiful places is best to board a full day sightseeing tour. It includes the lunch, which is served in a restaurant specialized in beef meat and also in seafood. My advice is to save place in your stomach for the last kinds of meat that will be served, they are made out of the best meat. The best advice will be not to buy the tour in the hotel (and not change money, either). You can find much better prices next door: for example, the one day tour you pay in the hotel with 230 R$ and in an agency few meters away with just 190 R$. The Euro is changed with 2,50 in the hotel but with 2,58 in the same agency. If you do not have a laptop of your own, do not buy computer time in the hotel: you will pay 10 R$ per hour but on the adjoining streets you find it for less than half.

Room Tip: On the back side of the hotel you will have more silence and a better view. But you can also book a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2013

First thing is first there is no free wi-fi no matter what it says on booking.com or trip advisor. The price at the time of our stay was 5R for 30min.

The place was cold all the time as was the atmosphere, after coming in from 40 degree Celsius heat you are welcomed to a thermal shock inside the hotel lobby. I suspect the temperature was so low due to the staffs need to be comfortable in their uniforms. It didn't take long for my boyfriend to get a cold, since every guest was coughing and sneezing due to the cold AC. There was not an ounce of friendliness from the staff. Some of them hardly bothered with their jobs, like the doorman when we requested a taxi. Instead of helping us he insisted that we go away from the hotel to get one.The room service was also incredibly unresponsive, once we didn't get our room cleaned at all despite hanging a sign on the outside of our door, and another day the cleaning service was 4 hours overdue, and finally there was one day where we had to actively look for a maid to get us new towels because they had neglected to clean our room again.

The room had a good size but a terrible view to other buildings.The walls were also incredibly thin and little was left to the imagination in regards to our neighbors activities.The bathroom was reasonably sized, but there was no refill on soaps and other products like you would normally expect from a four star establishment. The rooftop had a few beach chairs and a small pool, with an unremarkable bar. The fitness room is non existing, it only consisted of two treadmills a bike and a cross trainer, located underneath some stairs. No free weights or any other kind of accessories.

The breakfast was a standard buffet with little to offer in good taste. What was especially disappointing was the fact that they served the left overs from dinner for breakfast, very unappetizing. However on the new years day the food was surprisingly good, either that or it was the hang over.

During new years eve we figured having a bar and a slightly obscured rooftop view of the beach would have been very beneficial and ideal to witness the fireworks, unfortunately the staff decided to close the rooftop.

Before that we had decided to go on one of the tours, that was arranged by an agency the hotel co-operated with. We had traveled Brazil for some time before we came to RIo, and this was without a doubt the worst tour we have ever experienced in our lives. The pick up was atrocious, we had to run from our hotel to another across a very busy street, because our guide was running late and didn't organize a proper pickup. The tour kept getting worse and worse, and i will spare the details as the tour was not operated by the hotel. however despite our complaints when we got back, the hotel staff seemed indifferent or unable to do anything about our abysmal experience, let alone reimburse us.

We chose this place for the location, which wasn't even very good because it was cut off from the rest of copacabana because of a busy street that took 20min to cross. i would have gladly resorted to live further away and pay for a taxi each day, instead of spending a night at that cold and awful place. The price that was payed quite simply did not match the service, comfort or expectations.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Hotel was much better than it looked like in the pictures. It's close to the beach, large rooms, good service, and a solide breakfast buffet. The pool is very small, but with a nice terrace on the 11th floor on the top of the hotel.

The exchange office and supermarkets are close by, so is the beach, some 5min of walking. When the night falls it could be little busy and with some avoiding characters around the hotel, but in general, I think it's very safe.

Room Tip: Go to the higher floors, there is a good soundproof isolation when windows are closed, but since you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This hotel was an amazing value for my trip to Copacabana Beach for the big New Years Eve celebrations 2013. The staff was very professional. The room was beyond expectation. Very large room with a very large comfortable bed. Rooms were quiet even thought you are on a busy street. The hotel is just a short 2 block walk to Copacabana beach. The free breakfast buffet was exceptional with anything you could imagine wanting for breakfast or brunch. The only reason this place is not 5 star is because it is a slightly older property even though it is clean and in good repair. A complete remodel would make it a 5 star.

Room Tip: Love the 10th floor suites facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This hotel was chosen for me by my Brazilian distributor. Our rep in Rio lives in Copacabana so it was partly driven by his convenience. We arrived at the local Rio airport and took a taxi to this hotel (about 15 minutes). The location was superb. It was clear that this was Rio and that it was Copa as it was full of life and activity. The area was impressive. When I walked into the hotel, the appearance was a bit nostalgiac. The lobby was nice enough. The person checking me in was not partcularly warm and friendly but he got the job done. The hallways and room showed some age but it was not bad. The room was more spacious than I expected. The furniture was a bit dated but, again, not bad. The internet worked flawlessly. The bed was comfortable and I was able to sleep well. The morning breakfast buffet was relatively good though the breakfast room was a bit cramped. The checkout was efficient and quick. The room rate was a bit high but I thought it was worth it. It is a good place to stay if you want to be in Copa.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business