“Terrible experience”

Oceano Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #274 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The price of this hotel is unbelievable, you should pay only 10% of the hole price. It is not worthed any more. I have a "problem" with the reservation so I had to pay some more...unbelievable. I paid for a ocean view room, i got nothing. The room has a tiny ugly bed, the a/c doesnt work, and you have to unplug the tv to turn it off. I had to put the towel covering the awful pillow. I wont go there again. I feel cheated.

Room Tip: be sure to get the room view you pay for...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank hector r

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is, by far, the biggest dissapointment ever. The hotel is as bad as in all the bad reviews below, actually, it worse. Spent there three nights with my boyfriend during the first days of the World Cup. Extremely overpiced, very old hotel. The location is perfect. And that's it. We saw a few cockroaces, during then the breakfast and on a coach at the lobby. I think this is more than enough for every reasonable person to stay away from this place. I mean it. Don't waste your money on such a disaster.

Room Tip: Simply don't go in any room. In the hotel at all
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya Z
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've just returned from Brasil, and having spent 2 nights in this hotel felt compelled to share my review, for £190 per night its the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. The plus point as many reviews note is its location only 50 metres from the beach front.
However the rooms are grubby and dated for the price I'd like to hope a normal price outside the World Cup would be £25 even then I think you could stay at many better places. In relation to the room we booked in December 2013 after WC draw was made specifically requesting a twin room, I sent several e-mails re-requesting confirmation of this and on arrival we were given a double. Neither the shower nor the sink had hot or even warm water during our stay, complaints were not dealt with, just brushed aside with an excuse. The A/C was incredibly noisy so much so that its not possible to sleep with it on. The tiles through out are at best grubby as is the furniture. The best of all was an hilarious in-room entertainment system which was actually an old car stereo (imagine the sort fitted to an old Ford Escort circa 1979), which had no buttons left on it and literally dangled from a bedside table, obviously it didn't work.
Breakfast was less than average, I won't even bother describing it.
If there are any other hotels available when booking to stay in Rio consider them first. This is the first time I have ever bothered writing a bad hotel review, but think customers deserved to know what they might end up with.
There is nothing whatsoever going for this hotel apart from its location, trust me, all other negative reviews on tripadvisor are correct.
I will return to Rio without doubt its a brilliant city that more than lives up to its reputation, the sights are great, the beaches stunning, its good value for money and the Brazilian people so friendly, but I'll never consider return to this awful dump, £190 a night marvellous how do they do it, and I'd love to read what the hotel manager says in response to this review, which I'm sure they will try to have removed or just ignore as they simply don't care.

Room Tip: Simple - just don't even consider staying here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great location for FIFA fan fest! Only steps from the beach great view of water from our balcony. Staff was very helpful (especially Caeser) during the hectic first week of world cup. I stayed there with my two daughters and would definitely would stay there again. Though pool was very small, definitely worth a drink to catch the views from the rooftop.

Room Tip: We were on 11th floor with great view of water so ask for that view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel during the opening week of the world cup and had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. Awesome location as its a few meters from the beach and the service at the hotel was fantastic. Hotel is a bit old so dont expect a 5 star hotel look. Rooms are spacious enough. Its a mid sized hotel so the sauna and pool are small.

Room Tip: Find a room in the balcony and high up like the 10th to 15th floor, the view of the beach is incredi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel has good location but room is very small and old.

They have funny pool. Just 2 inside the pool then you cant swim, but only stay like Jacuzzi, because it is toooo small.
They should not advise or mention they have pool.

We booked room with balcony sea view, but was not given as we paid. We paid already to booking.com but receptionist keep asking us payment. It was not professional at all at front desk.

Breakfast is so so.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Customer services is extremely slow. It do not seem to be smoke free. Breakfast with few options. Daily rate too expensive for the benefits (good location, near the beach). Many customers claiming in the lobby when I was leaving.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business