“Location, Location, Location”

South American Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #127 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I only stayed at the Hotel for one night, but it was enough for me to say that it was brilliant, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly, the room was excellent it could easily accommodate me and my two cousin.

But the best is the location, it's right between Copacabana and Ipanema, both are the best beaches in Rio. It is also very close to the best stores in Rio.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rodrigoa212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
telford
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed at the South American Copacabana hotel as part of our Argentina and Brazil tour over Christmas 2013, so although we never chose the hotel ourselves we were very pleased with the accommodation. The rooms are modern, clean and spacious. There is a lovely pool on the top of the hotel and a lot of choice of food at breakfast. Moreover, the hotel is perfectly located in between the Copacabana and Ipanema beaches.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adamw5089
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I guess the best thing about this hotel is its location. It is perfectly located between Copacabana and Ipanema, exactly where you wanna be when in Rio! The staff was nice though they spoke very little English. The rooms were spacious and had everything you'd expect from a 4 star hotel. The bathroom was big and nice, which makes a nice difference since most Rio hotels have small spaces. The breakfast was really good, I especially loved the fresh exotic fruits :) Unfortunately, I didn't get to use the pool on the top floor so can't comment on that. The wi-fi internet was free and always worked well. I would gladly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for new years eve (Reveillon) party. 28Dec 2013 to 1 Jan 2014. Fantastic location, easy walk to both Ipanema and Copacabana beaches. Despite Rio's bad reputation, felt quite safe to walk around the hotel at night.
The hotel itself though: extremely average: clean enough, very noisy (our room was facing the main street), noisy and inefficient air conditioner, unmotivated staff doing pretty much the absolute minimum required! yet trying their best to speak English it seemed.
My advice: stay at this hotel if you're gonna spend most of your time outside, you're not a light sleeper, and you don't worry about luxury!

Room Tip: highest floor and away from the main street, none of the rooms have any view to write home about as...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank melbournetraveller99
Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We arrived to the hotel in the late morning (10 a.m.). The staff was helpful and polite and we got our room on the 9th floor. The location is very good, it's about 5 minutes of walking to the famous Copacabana and about the same time to Ipanema. I know that as long as it's a hotel in very busy and noisy neighborhood there can't be a lot of silence nevertheless there was an indescribable smell from the street especially during the night even when the window was closed. That really bothered me. On the other hand the rooms are nice and clean, the breakfasts are excellent and the rooftop pool is also very good and I found it overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms in the lower floors pick a room as far from the street as possible and as high as...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I just returned back from a trip to Rio for work, but I also wanted to take advantage of what the city has to offer. I had originally booked a place to stay in Santa Theresa for the views and convenience to work, but am so thankful I switched locations!

I was a bit concerned about booking this hotel after reading some of the reviews about the staff and the quality of the rooms, but it exceeded my expectations, which were quite low. I wasn't expecting something 5-star based on the price and I was fearful but I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were modest, but neat and decently sized. They were perfectly clean, but I noticed that they could have been more attentive in replacing a few items, namely toilet paper, and the mini bar snack I indulged in.

I'm not sure what the other reviewers are referring to, but I never walked past an unstaffed desk and the employees I communicated with (in English...I can't speak Portuguese) were friendly and accommodating. The language barrier was tough when it came to room service, but other than that it was fine. You can also book tours through the hotel, and I think the same tours are also offered at other (and nicer) hotels. I'm not sure who the tour operator is, but they weren't fantastic. Our tour guide did get us to the Christ the Redeemer Statue, but left us at Sugarloaf and the tour went over an hour and half longer than advertised. I don't blame this on the hotel, but I did not have a fantastic experience with that tour operator. Still, I got to see the sights I wanted to see.

The breakfast at the hotel was fine. Eggs and fresh fruit every day and an assortment of breads, meet, and cheese. It was just okay, but I don't know where I really would have gone to find something much better. The food in Brazil for me left something to be desired, and I would completely avoid the on-site restaurant/room service just because the food wasn't great. There are plenty of other options within the area within walking distance. I only ordered in because I was by myself and concerned (probably overly) about safety.

The hotel's location is its best asset I think. I do wish I was a little bit closer to the beach, but it was fine and enabled me to explore both Copacabana and Ipanema, which were about a 5-8 minute walk away. With better planning I'd have located better restaurants and since I was traveling alone. I had read that Avenida Atlantica was not a place to go really after dark, but there is an interesting night market and there were plenty of tourists walking around in the early evening. The street the hotel is on is located two blocks from a police station, and there are two bus stops on the street so it was still decently active around 9ish maybe 10, but I didn't go out much past that and I felt comfortable enough, but based on what I had been told/had read I still felt the need to be vigilant even just a few blocks away.

Anyway, overall if I was booking for myself I might have personally chosen something closer to the beach in Ipanema and with nicer amenities, but being in the middle of Ipanema and Copacabana I thought was pretty great.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms facing the street are louder, but the interior facing room lacks any kind of view...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Northport, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Positives:
Great location- walking distance to the beach and right in between copacabana and ipanema
Area felt safe
We were always able to get a taxi out front to go anywhere we wanted to
Great breakfast, many options and friendly staff in the dining room
Clean
Wifi included
2 computers for usage in the lobby
They give you towels for the beach
Bathroom was really nice- marble countertops and shower floor

Negatives:
Front desk staff isn't very helpful- my brother asked them to make a local call for us to make a reservation (we don't really speak portuguese), but he refused
The pool is small, but go to the beach!
Some of the rooms on the street side can be a bit loud, due to the buses going by on the street level (we were on the 3rd floor)
There is virtually no concierge- the desk was only staffed for 10 ,minutes during our three days there

If you generally don't need the help of a concierge, or rely a ton on hotel staff for help, this is a great stay. The location is fantastic and there is a ton to do in the area.

Room Tip: Higher up not street facing= quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends