“Terrible rip off”

Ranked #107 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Washington
“Terrible rip off”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Rooms were so tiny I could barely fit my suitcases in the room. I got my booking from booking.com & was definitely duped & misled. I refused to stay & was so disgusted that I had to walk away from it even though they wouldn't refund my money. Not worth it. I think this hotel has a few good sized rooms, but several tiny bathroom size rooms. Make sure you get the right ones.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Ici007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having read a lot of the TripAdvisor reviews I have to say I was concerned about what I might get when arriving in Rio but was very pleasantly surprised overall. OK, the only problem I had was when I arrived being presented with a 10% hotel tax??? for stopping there. Basically, I refused to pay and so they accepted it and continued my stay. Not the greatest start but other than that, I really could not complain.

The room yes it was small, but for one person travelling alone, I thought it was more than adquate. There was room to walk around without triping over my bags and the room looked very nice. I liked that the cleaners went in everyday to clean the room and the bathroom and had no issues at all with that.

The breakfast was very good compared to some of the other places I visited on my South America trip. A really good selection of cold and hot options, I personally was impressed and happy.

Despite the frosty reception that I received when I arrived by refusing to pay the hotel tax, I have to say Carla behind reception and her colleague I cant remember his name were very pleasant to me. They sorted out a couple of tickets for the carnival as I was there that week and they were keen to know how I enjoyed it.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. The room, the food, the service was good. I reallyy dont get what some people on here are moaning about because it was certainly not what I expected because of some of the posts I read. To boot it all, it was a really short walk to the beachfront.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Possibleprince
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Based on how the hotel looks, it is a twin property of Augusto's Copacabana (at least, the layout is very similar, I even though that we walked into Augusto's). However, my experience is quite different. The service is extremely slow. I arrived to Rio for 24 hours only, and it took us1 hour to check in (!). The room was not ready (we were moved to a room with two twin beds although we booked single queen bed), the safe did not work, the AC did not work, etc. The water was staying in the shower. At the end, it took 15 minutes to check out - they went to the room to check if everything is OK, then they realized that they in fact went to someone else's room, etc., etc. Good that we planned some extra time at the end of the stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Volga981

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed at Astoria for one night on my own. I was given a single room which although small, was very clean and more than sufficient for my stay. The breakfast is plentiful and delicious - lots of fruit, breads and hot foods - indeed, the best thing about the hotel! The reception staff were helpful in organising my taxi on departure.

A storage room where bags could be locked away would be helpful (rather than leaving them in the corridor of reception). There also wasn't a safe in my room - I had to make do with locking my valuables in my room with a "do not disturb sign" on the door.

I would stay again but only for a short stay. There are other amenities in the hotel like a swimming pool/fitness room etc but I didn't have time to use them. The hotel is in a great location, a couple of blocks from Copacabana beach.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Faithalicious_x
london
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We had room 503 which was a reasonable size and clean. A bulb had gone and it was replaced immediately. Breakfast was good as was the service. I would stay there again if I had to choose a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank FrankophileLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here over new year, our choice largely made by the fact we wanted to be close to Copacabana beach for the NYE fireworks and the fact there was very limited availability left in the area by the time we booked.

The hotel is basic; the best thing about it is the location, a couple of blocks from Copacabana beach. It felt safe to walk on the main streets in the area after dark. Our room was small with a window overlooking the tiny pool. The decor was dated and the air conditioning just wasn't adequate for how hot it was. It blew out cool-ish air but the room never really got cool enough for enjoyable sleep, despite leaving the AC on constantly. The bathroom was just about ok, again very dated and it smelt slightly, but the shower was good. There was a fridge in the room stocked with minibar goods but it could be used for other things. There were two lifts, both of which were very slow and seemed constantly busy - generally we had to take the stairs.

Breakfast was reasonably decent; it is held in the area off the ground floor lobby. It is a help yourself buffet with fresh juice, selection of fruit, cheese, ham, bread, pastries and hot options as well. We didn't really deal with the reception staff other than on check in and check out. On check out there seemed to be an issue with my husband taking our luggage out to the taxi before we had paid the minibar bill (i.e. they thought he might be running off with the bags without paying, despite me clearly being in the line to pay!). Double check what you have from the minibar as we were fairly certain they added on extra soft drinks but weren't going to argue the point over a handful of Reais when we had a plane to catch.

I wouldn't stay here again if I went back to Rio, but our stay wasn't really by choice anyway. The biggest issue was the pathetic aircon - in 40 degree heat and high humidity it's pretty much essential for a decent night of sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LinzofLondon
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I usually do not write bad reviews of the hotels - 'cause frankly haven't had bad experiences in the past. However, this was sadly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Summary: No, never go to this hotel unless you want unprofessional responses from management and an absolute wastage of money. Hotel is infested with cockroaches in bed - my room's AC dint work

Good:
- Great location: Yes, very close to the nice area of copacabana beach
- Some of the staff members (read cleaning ladies) were very nice, even though they dint understand English

Bad:
- Lack of English speaking staff, apart from front desk, absolutely impossible to order room service, laundry etc. without their help
- Their automated door was not working. And I was moving in with a lot of bags - no one to help me, no one greeted, no one bothered
- The economy rooms are the size of shoe-boxes, have extremely uncomfortable beds, 1ft. of space on 2 sides to move around. Lack of space to even keep your shoes, bags etc. If you plan to sit even once, this room is not for you
- I got what I paid for (the small room), however, when I contacted the front desk to upgrade my room (of course pay for it), I got a different quote from every person. One said R$200 more on current room, the other said R$150, and another said R$120 and yet another quoting R$100. They seem to try to get every penny that you are willing to pay - not professional

Ugly:
- Finally deciding to stay in the cramped room, I felt something move underneath my back. A cockroach! On the bed! When I highlighted the same to front desk, their response was "Ok, I will ask housekeeping to take it". NO! That is not what you are supposed to do. You need to apologize. You need to act surprised, otherwise it just tells me that the hotel is always infested. On reporting it to health authority, I could have gotten their hotel closed for a day! However, I did not. I just got it away and changed my bed sheets etc.
- Thinking of finally getting some sleep, I noticed that the room was extremely hot, AC wasn't working. The management's response was - "They are new, you don't know how to use. And it was working when you moved so you did something"
- Also, a response was "We can't make special vegetarian food for you" on asking to give me the pasta without ham in it

Highly disappointed with the hotel, especially the management who had a disregard for their customer.

Room Tip: Do not take economy rooms, at all