“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #117 of 280 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

3 blocks back from copacabana beach this was a pretty good location. Also good for the underground station, also 3 blocks away. Reception were welcoming and helpful and the room was more than adequate. Not luxurious or characterful but then for the price I wasn't expecting it to be. It was fairly small but clean and comfortable with a nice smart bathroom. Breakfast was good and varied. For the budget I would recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

Very friendly hotel, close to the beach (3-5 minutes) and to the metro stations.
Room was clean, big enough (we stayed 205 facing the main street Rua du Peru) with minibar (soda, many soft drinks), A/C, telephone, safe, bathroom wih hair dryer, shower -fixed on the wall, so you should bring your shower cap-they did not provide).
Breakfast buffet ok, but same products every day .
They have a luggage room.
During our stay I sow few problems with prepayed bookings, including ours,we received a notice that we have c/out on 09.10, infact our c/out was on 12.10. It took 1 day to solve the problem. They did not charged us when they called the local agency for the transfer to the airport.
Overall nice stay with a low budget.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

I stayed here for my last night in Brazil after a holiday of over a month during which I stayed in 9 different hotels and hostels. On booking online I noticed a couple of people had given this place poor reviews (saying desk staff unhelpful) but I found quite the reverse. I arrived very early in the morning and asked to leave my luggage till the advertised check-in time 5 hours or so later, but they kindly let me into my room straight away so I didn't have to wait (even though the staff on reception were extremely busy coping with a large party all trying to check-out at the same time). They were helpful too on other occasions. The breakfast was good - one of the best I had in Brazil - and the single room, though very small, was only a little bit more expensive than I'd been paying as a single traveller in private rooms in hostels (and some of those didn't have ensuite and air-conditioning, which this room had). If Copacabana is where you want to be, the location is very good - a short walk from the beach, the airport (Real) bus route, and the Copacabana Beach Hotel, and with useful shops nearby (including one selling 2nd hand books in English).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

I do agree with a couple of reviewers and I know the receptionist described. We made sure that we didn't speak to him and waited until a responsive and helpful receptionist was available. I know this wasn't always possible. We booked excursions: a city tour and rainforest tour and they were great.
The room was nice and well equipt. The room was cleaned each day to satisfaction and as there were 3of us in one room at one point we had enough room. The aircon was loud and the early morning works going on outside made it difficult to sleep in.
The pool was small and on the second floor which is quite misleading as being surrounded by buildings didn't get any sun.
The beach is a short walk away and there are lots of shops and restaurants in the area. Easy to get to metro and buses.
Breakfast was good and sets you up for the day but after a week got very boring. There were only very slight variations everyday.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Service was poor; One of the male receptionists was aloof and disinterested. The room was not the one we saw pictures of or described on the internet site, it was small with a bad odour.
Breakfast was good and location was very good but I would not stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

I booked my last two nights hotel in Rio through the Air Canada website while I was in Iguacu Falls...the night before my return to Rio. I booked the Astoria because of the reviews on Trip Advisor.
I waited for about 90 minutes for a bus at the airport...the first one was full so had to wait for another one and then the traffic was so bad, it was a further 90 minutes before I arrived at the hotel, which in retrospect was good, because I didn't arrive till about 5.30 and they didn't have my reservation. The guy on the front desk first ignored me and continued his conversation for a minute or two with his colleague, then he pushed a reservation form towards me without acknowledging me, I filled it in and then told him I had a reservation. He looked in the computer and said they didn't have it, they were full for the May 1st holiday and he couldn't give me a room, that the confirmation number I had was Air Canada's not theirs and reserving 24 hours in advance was not enough time. He said they were full but that he couldn't give me what he didn't have but he could give me a very small room with a single bed for 120 Reals. He phoned his reservation agent to check about the reservation and then called their sister hotel to see if I had them mixed up. He wouldn't let me pay to use the internet to show him my confirmation until I had been issued the small room and taken my bags upstairs...it was like a cell, very very small. I went back downstairs got my pin to use the internet, was on it for about two minutes trying to retrieve my email when he got a phone call and said now they did have the reservation. I told him Air Cda was charging me $269.00 for the two nights so would I get the room I was paying for? suddenly he had a room with a queen sized bed overlooking the pool so the bell boy escorted me from room number one to room number two. There was no tv remote so they sent someone with it, well, only two channels worked very badly so they sent the bell boy back and he had to call a tech guy, I watched them try for an hour to get it working, they even changed the tv, then the front desk called up to say the reason it wouldn't work is that they are changing cable suppliers and my room wouldn't have service until tomorrow....did I want to switch rooms? Well number one, why not say that right at the beginning instead of me waiting an hour while they tried to fix something they couldn't and number two, I thought you were full, how come you have another room with a queen sized bed? So the bell boy escorts me to room number three, again over looking the pool (instead of a small courtyard full of equipment)...there were no apologies or smiles or sympathy from anyone...when I left for dinner about 7.30 (it gets dark at six in April in Brazil) the guy at the front desk again told me about the cable and I said "yes it's a good job you AREN'T full" and he didn't reply. So the front desk staff could crack a smile once in a while and this man certainly could have been nicer about the Air Canada mix up with the reservation...and as he was going to charge me for a room anyway, don't know why he offered me the single one when he had the much better queen sized ones available, instead of lying to me and saying they were completely full.
At least the room safe was free, the shower had glass doors, better than the plastic shower curtain at other hotels I stayed in, breakfast was the same as everywhere else but one good thing is that you serve yourself coffee you don't have to wait for them to bring you a pot. Location was good, just a couple of blocks from the beach, drug store across the road where I bought 1.5 litre bottles of water for 1.50 Reals...no problem walking around at night...pretty much everywhere you will find homeless people sleeping on cardboard and this was the case near this hotel and others I stayed in, but I always felt safe. Subway nearby, no problem taking the subway or buses, both are very cheap...if you know you will take the subway and then transfer you buy a different ticket. I found it very hard to find anything vegetarian in any of the restaurants and there seems to be very little diversity, you won't find an Indian or Thai restaurant for example.
Bathroom was clean and the linens were much whiter than the other hotel I stayed at in Rio (Augusto's)...but there was no box spring so the mattress felt a bit like a futon.
Overall, it is a fairly nice hotel for the price, I was just put off by my initial experience. I'm just glad I didn't arrive sooner because I might have been tempted to try another hotel, Air Canada bills visa so I would have ended up paying for this one even if I had gone somewhere else based on him telling me initially that they were completely full.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank TorontoTraveller2009
San Jose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

The hotel is at good location. It is easy to find. We took the bus from airport to the hotel. Also, we managed to use Metro/Bus to get to Corcovado, Sugar loaf and center. The room has nice shower room and safe, fridge etc. The air condition is a little noisy and the hotel charged internet access. It is odd for the hotel that is near beach but has no hair dryer in the room. The hotel front desk is busy and it took us long time to wait for check in. The breakfast is good.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends