“Cheap all around”
Review of Hotel Debret

Hotel Debret
Ranked #177 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel because it was a great location and it was fairly cheap. Yes, cheap in everything. Do not expect anything great from this hotel, starting by the service of the people to the room and food.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Debret

Reviewed 25 September 2011

My travel companion booked this place without checking on Trip Advisor, so it's fair to say that our expectations were very low even before we arrived.
However - having read the other reviews here, I can only presume that they are gradually improving the hotel and that (at the moment) different floors have different standards? Our ninth floor room was pleasant, reasonably sized, modern and clean (even the mattress was spotless!) plus the air-conditioning and free wi-fi worked well.
The breakfast was perfectly good - varied choice of hot or cold food plus drinks and juices etc and served in the top-floor restaurant area with brilliant views of Copacabana Beach.
The reception staff (including bell-boys etc) were efficient and polite, and they agreed to an early check-in PLUS late check-out for a very reasonable fee.
All in all I'd be happy to stay here again, but only in a room like the one we had on the ninth floor...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We arrived in Rio late at night. Had a long cab ride along the coast, seeing beautiful hotels. We were dropped off at a hotel that apparently had ocean frontage, but we entered from the side. the place was a total dump from start to go. It looked like an inner city dilapidated low rent hotel. Cigarette smells, dark, dirty. We were taken to our room on the 8th floor, the room would not have been even ok for a low price house of prostitution. The furniture was old dark. The room was so small not enough room for two bags of luggage. Two people could not stand between the bed and the dresser. We were booked here by Latin Tours. Spent our second day looking for a better place and found it one street from the beach at Cas de Sul.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The hotel is well located, in the Copacabana's beach, in front of the sea. But it is very old, never been remodeled. The room is very simple and has a small bed. Our room was located in front of the sea, good view, but very noise, even in the 7th floor. The breakfast is one of the worst I've ever seen! Definitely it is not worth staying there!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank guklein
Reviewed 4 June 2011

My review is somewhat dated, as I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights in October 2007, but better late than never... I enjoyed Rio de Janeiro a lot, its beaches and picturesque sceneries! The hotel was so-so, and probably should get one extra point from me for a nice aerial vew from the restaurant. But I remember an obnoxious concierge who demanded $500 for the lock to my in-room safe, so convinced of his invulnerability. So, get my feedback, senhor, hope you do not work in the hotel industry any longer and misrepresent your beautiful country.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2011

It is fact that hotel " Debret" is far from the luxury. People expect more for the price they pay, but it is real fact that all hotels on Copacabana Beach are expensive independently of its quality.

The location beats the traveler's pocket.

I have carefully read the exposed reviews and I agree that hotel management should make significant improvements if they want better reputation.

However, I will say honestly: I would choose this hotel again if I ever more visit Rio De Janeiro again.

I was there in June 1-3, 2010 and it was very relaxing period for me.

I got clean room, comfortable bed, Wi-Fi internet in my room, with romantic and very delicious breakfast in hotel restaurant on the top of roof. Very exotic view on Copacabana beach, Atlantic Ocean and Sugarloaf.

Very kind personnel have never " attack" me for fee as it commonly practice in many of hotels around the world. They are very decent and always smiled. As I am coffee-maniac and drink my special coffee, I have always had warm water in my room. Thanks to kind waitresses from the hotel's restaurant.

The receptionists helped me to "broke" my solo-traveler's fear of Rio de Janeiro streets, suggesting me safest places in the city I could visit during the day not paying the expensive taxi but using the metro.

Receptionists gave me a map of Rio's metro so my solo-traveler's walking was extremely interesting and cheap . Thanks to adequate information, I visited center of Rio, Museum of Belle Art, Musem of National History, bookstore and cafe Mona Lisa,....

If I had followed the instructions of employees from one of very luxury Rio's hotel, I would have sat in room or pay $270 for its 6-hours city-tour while lazy driver is sitting in car even not speaking the English.

You can choose similar tour on " Debret"'s reception ( of course not so expensive) but you are free to make self- tour. As I told the personnel is very kind and they will give you all essential information regarding the Rio.

They helped me with names of places where I can buy souvenirs for my family and friends as well as the best place to buy famous Brazilian coffee. Can you imagine to back from Rio without Brazilian coffee?

On the day of my depart, the hotel arranged me taxi to the airport and it was very affordable price ( about 45 Rs),

In most of cases you will have to pay double price (Rs 90). Luxury hotel will give you more expensive offer. It was very comfortable, new, car with an amazing driver. He helped me with bags on GAG airport . During the driving he was really good guide although he did not speak English.

But we understood each other very well.

In hotel " Debret" I was treated as a dear guest and human being. I felt as in my home.

In previous very luxury hotel they observed me as a walking wallet.

I recommend this hotel for all those travelers who want decent B&B hotel. No reason to pay more expensive hotels. I am not in Brasil and Rio due to hotel interior and walls, but to visit the city and wonderful Brazilian people.

As I have observed it is very popular hotel among Latin Americans, especially Brazilians. Very decent and familiar people. It is one of proof of quality.

If it is good for them, why it would not to me ?

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
9  Thank journalist92
Reviewed 12 March 2011

This place is a dump in a very good location. The walls are paper thin and the smell of cigarette smoke permeates from other rooms.
The first room they gave us: I counted 5 visible hairs in various places (shower, sink, linen, pillow). Made them switch to a different room because the next door neighbor's cigarette smoke smell was making our room smell as well.
The second room is cleaner and bigger, but nothing to write home about. The view, however, is awesome. The entire hotel has dirty carpets, dark hallways.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple