“Very very average”

Ranked #274 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Melbourne, Australia
“Very very average”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here during World Cup largely due to location and proximity to beach. Hotel facade and foyer are impressive but that's where it ends. Rooms old dirty and disgusting. All rooms facing back of hotel stink due to smells from the adjacent jungle. Beds terrible. Bathrooms filthy. Have to pay extra for everything. Wifi, safe etc. breakfast very average. Wifi doesn't work in rooms. Way way overpriced. But then again everything in rio is. Don't stay here if you can avoid it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here for ten nights this month read some bad reviews on trip advisor could not change hotels with the World Cup but it was not all bad there are a lot of maintain issues but most of the hotels here are old the staff were ok the rooms were clean and it was only three blocks from copacabana beach

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at the Royalty Copacabana Hotel during a two-night stay in Rio that was part of a two-week trip in Brazil with a leadership group. This was our first impression of Brazil. The good aspects of this hotel are that it is within walking distance to restaurants and, most importantly, the beach. The rooftop view is nice and there is a small pool and patio area up there to soak in Rio. As with many hotels in Brazil, the air conditioning only works when you have a key card inserted into a slot on the wall, which means a warm room greets you after you've been out exploring all day. The beds are not the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on, but after an all night trip to Rio from Houston, I could have slept anywhere. The hotel staff was courteous, but not overly friendly. One of the main things our group was concerned about was security while we were in Rio. I never felt in danger, but I wasn't extremely comforted by the hotel room safe. I have never used a room safe before, but we were encouraged to lock up important belongings during the day. You have to request to use the safe at the front desk. After my roommate and I got to the room, a bell man knocked at the door to tell us how to use our safe. As a female in a foreign country, this made me feel a little uneasy, but again, I didn't feel in danger. The bell man showed us how to reset the code, which basically means any hotel staff could reset the code and get into your safe at any time. I didn't leave anything in the room that I couldn't live without, such as travel cash or my passport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I do not recommend this hotel for anyone, me and my wife stay there from may 13th to 17th 2014.we couldn't wait to get out of there. the staff were rude and disorganized, especially the reception desk, we were left out off towels for two days, we call the desk they sent um towel and that they going to get the other from another room but vever did, the air-conditioning is very noise you can't sleep, the shower is full of mould look that never been clean, breakfast is OK but I had better, the only thing good about this hotel is the location, everything eslse is the worse hotel we ever stay. never again not even for free. DO NOT STAYNG IN THIS HOTEL YOU GOING REGRET.

• Stayed May 2014

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The hotel location is good, just some blocks away by foot from Copacabana beach, with lots of nice restaurants on the surroundings. But it is overpriced, like most hotels in Rio. The employees are not so polite and could definitely treat guests better. The breakfast is fine and the rooms have lots of maintenance issues, such as mold walls, dripping taps and malfunctioning lights.

Room Tip: Try picking highest floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was in this hotel with my husband in July 2013. The location is quite good,about 10 min. to Av.Atlantica. The view from rooftop is very nice,especially in the night. The pool is small but people don't use it in the evening,it's quiet place. We had a little problem with the room. We changed it 3 times,because we couldn't close the windows. These rooms were on the second floor,near the fence and it was dangerous.Finally we had good room on the 11th floor with ocean view. You have to check the windows. Near this hotel are a lot of shops,small restaurants.You can eat something in the evening,but more pleasant and interesting is Av.Atlantica near Copacabana beach.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zurusie
Braga, Portugal
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Apart from the poor quality of the room had the thankless surprise they have improperly charged to my credit card one additional night!
Despite protests by phone and email I could not get my money back.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business