“Perfect location and all you can ask for, at a valuable price.”

Hotel San Marco Ipanema
Ranked #194 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This hotel is my Rio base, and I've been staying there for the past 4 years. Alway welcomed at the reception desk with polite smiles and prompt service. I stay in room 801, which is accessible by the stairs after taking the elevator to the 7th floor... Which could be an inconvenience if you have lots of luggage, but the staff are on hand to help out. When pn holidays, i want my hotel room to provide me with what I need: an excellent bed, a perfect shower and A/C. There's also a tv and fridge, but whose going to watch tv when Ipanema and Leblon beaches are only a stone's throw away? The morning breakfast bar is perfect to start the day with a coffee, fresh juice and a variety of rolls, buns, cakes, breads as well as eggs and meats... The hotel is near everything - and it always gives me great pleasure to go to H. Stern, the bespoke jeweller just down the road, and buy a new trinket, knowing I'm staying in a value rate hotel! this place isn't a 5 star property, but it's in a 5 star neighbourhood and you get excellent service and lodgings for a great price. I'm already planning my next trip back...

Room Tip: Always ask for a superior room, and if on the street side, ask for a higher level room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here as part of a solo trip through Brazil,

First the good.

The people. They were extremely helpful and many were proficient in English. They were extremely helpful.
The breakfast was good and there was a selection of eggs, meat and breads and juices.
Location - Can't say enough about the location. Right in the shopping district of Ipanema. Two blocks from Ipanema beach. Three blocks from Leblon, one of the nicer parts of RIO. You cannot beat the location

Now, the rest. Basically, RIO is known for either extremely high end hotels and bargain basement hotels at over hyped pricing. This hotel falls in the latter. This hotel is probably the equivalent of a days in Motel. Basic bathroom, basic rooms and beds. If you get the economy room, the toilet is in the shower, which may be unsettling if you expect a full bathroom. All in all, I liked the hotel just because it was clean and everything worked. I would consider shopping around before staying here again , though I am not sure you can get a better hotel in Ipanema for this price. I have a love hate relationship with the hotel. I loved the location and how I was treated, I didn't love what I paid for the quality of hotel I got. I guess you are paying for location.

There was no pool or fitness area in the hotel, but you are two blocks from the beach and two blocks from the Lagoa where there is walking and biking paths.

Would I stay here again..maybe...but i would check again to see if there were better deals.

Cab fare from hotel to GIG airport was 50 Reals

Room Tip: Cab fare from hotel to GIG airport was 50 Reals
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Treva
Reviewed 22 March 2012

It has become very difficult and also very expensive to get an hotel in Rio. Nothing else (below 500 Euros) was available in Ipanema/Leblon where I had to stay so I took this one on Booking.com for about 90 Euros.

The only positives: location (central Ipanema, close to the beach and the shops and offices of the neighborhood), it's clean, it's relatively cheap

The girls at check in were quite nice, which cannot be said of the guy I asked about wifi connection. Everythong else was terrible:

Room was very small, but more importantly was really old and in need of a major refurbishing. Culd not regulate the air conditioning which could only be on or off (but to switch it you had to climb on a chair to unplug it). In the hallway, no light. Pitch dark untlil you reached the first corner were a movement sensor spotted you and turned on the light (very alarming at first and disturbing even after you were aware of the situation).

Wifi is available only in the reception hall for a charge. They require advance cash payment (could not charge it to the room for some reason). When I asked about it, it was not working. Worse still I could not even recharge my laptop since there was no suitable plug (I had a "german plug" and a BRAZILIAN ADAPTER but with the "ground pin". The system is so old id does not have ground!

Like much of the rest, the breakfast room is very dark and depressing. Given my eye for design and decoration it was a pity to see a place with potential being allowed to deteriorate so much. It would not take too much to turn it into a nice place, but in the current fat market they are obviously milking it with no investment.

I would return there only if the alternative is sleeping in a doorway. Even if you plan to just sleep there and spend most time on the beach, consider that the sun is very hard and "days at the beach" are shorter in Rio than in Europe. Unless you plan to spend most afternoons bar hopping, you might find yourself napping in the room longer than you thought.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AndreaPortante
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I stayed here for one month a few years ago and the location is great and the barman JOSE very helpful and also cooks the best steak in RIO.
On a recent return visit it has gone downhill a bit,there used to be Bossa Nova music and international television in the bar/restaurant area and an internet cafe-all have been done away with.

Room Tip: Pay more and ask for a suite
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NewWorldTraveller16
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed there for about 10 days. It was an accidental stay since the first hotel we booked online claimed they didn't receive our reservation, so we were referred here. Rooms are small, old and the hallways are tight, not to mention the elevator. The staff are helpful and can speak English well. Loved the breakfast outdoor nooks they have with bright colored walls, though breakfast food was the same everyday! Since we stayed for more than a week, we were able to negotiate for a good rate per day and it was not a bad deal for a Rio stay! A few blocks away from the beach, right smack in the center of Ipanema, has a supermarket and lots of restaurants nearby. It was value for our money since we also got to see carnaval rehearsals!

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Mhcd78
Reviewed 1 July 2011

When we booked this we were concerned because there a few bad reviews. After staying there, I feel obligated to give it a great review. Compared to, say, Kansas, It is a bit pricey, but this is because you're staying in the nicest and safest spot in Rio. For the price, we were completely happy, and our local Brazilian friends agreed it was the best deal you'd get.

The staff was really friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to help me with my really heavy bag, and to find a sim card for my phone. You also get a caipirinha when you arrive! The room was clean, bright, cool, and perfect for our trip. It's small, but we never spent much time in there, trying to take advantage of everything outside the hotel. It reminded me of a hotel you'd find in Southern Europe -- I swear I've stayed in identical rooms in Barcelona or Cinque Terre, Italy. The breakfast was free, and not excellent, but fine for starting the day, and the location was great for getting to the beach. The internet is free on the first floor. I couldn't have been happier, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank GDoro
Reviewed 30 April 2011

A group of friends booked this hotel based purely on its great location in Ipanema. It's near Posto 9 and that's about all the good I can say for it. The mind boggles how this can be rated a 3*, it is barely better than a hostel with a shiny reception. The rooms are spartan and delapidated, but clean, however somewhere along the line they must have run out of space because the toilet was IN the shower - this was not a wet room, it was in the ACTUAL shower cubicle! The lights didn't work on our floor, and the lift numbers are incorrectly labelled in the elevator, so you end up getting out at the wrong floor..?? Pretty amusing after a few Caiprinhas...

The staff are pretty nice but I was livid when I handed in my posessions (wallet/passport) to be put in their safe, only to find them left out on the counter the next morning!!!??? All I received was a bemused look rather than any kind of apology.

Having said that the breakfast was a standard Brazillian breakfast with breads, fruit and eggs, and was of a good quality (for Brazil). We've also been dining out on these tales for a few weeks now, and isn't that what makes a memorable trip?

It is outrageously overpriced for the standard of the room and facilities though, you are only paying for the location and nothing further. I actually only stayed one night and moved out to a local girl's apartment which rang rings around this supposed 3*.

For the money I reckon there are much better options although Rio is so expensive.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends