“Watch out for hidden costs”
Review of Mud Bug

Mud Bug
Ranked #793 of 13,740 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Copacabana
Description: Literally in front of the Copacabana Palace Hotel
East Rutherford, New Jersey
“Watch out for hidden costs”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I love the night life in Rio. But this place turned me off a bit because there was a R$12 fee to enter and a R$10 fee due to my not purchasing any alcoholic drinks. There was a significant amount of alternative 90s music and relatively cheap drinks to be had. What can you expect in one of the biggest tourist neighborhoods in the world. Also - guys, wear closed toe shoes and everyone bring ID or you will be turned away.

• Visited June 2013

“This Place Is A Joke”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I have a long history of bad experiences with this place. The first time I tried to go was back in February, during Carnaval, for a friend's birthday. We were denied entry by surly bouncers because one of the guys in our group was wearing flip-flops. Never mind that they were letting women in with flip flops, or that their decision to turn us away meant forfeiting at least hundreds of dollars in cover charges and drinks, or, perhaps most importantly, that this is Rio de Janeiro, where the mayor probably goes to work in flip flops.

The second time I tried to go, a couple of months later, the place was virtually empty. Which wouldn't have been a problem, if not for the long and very slow line that the same surly bouncers were intentionally creating for the apparent sake of making it look like quite the happening place. There's a certain arrogance in wasting your customers' time for such a stupid reason, and our group decided to leave because of it.

Third time's a charm. A couple months later, I again find myself in a group destined for the appropriately named Mud Bug, yet this time we're unfortunate enough to actually make it inside the bloody place. What we find is a hollow, badly laid out half-bar, half-night-club where clientele were too disappointed with the place to bring themselves to dance. Just a bunch of people eerily standing around.

But whatever, there are tons of sucky, overpriced places to spend an evening in Rio--that alone is hardly a reason to take to the Internet to air one's grievances. The reason I am posting this review and the reason I will vigorously resist any future attempt by friends to drag me back to the Mud Bug is that it's just as hard to get out of as it is to get in, which in my view is unacceptable.

To mercifully end your night here, you can expect to be confronted with a final, irrationally long and painfully slow line to pay at the single cash register the Mud Bug's illustrious management keeps open. It took us around 45 minutes to finally settle up, and it wasn't even closing time.

Better go somewhere else, this place is awful.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Paul K
“Waste of money!”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

They gave us these cards and told us we should pay at the end. We got charged a cover without being told... After they had already put our card through. They took advantage of us because we are tourists, and they would not refund the money. A round of drinks for 2 people for 50 brazillian dollars?? Terrible!