“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #24 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo, SP
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A brand new hotel, very welcoming and modern. Rooms and beds are very comfortable, with great view of the sea. Breakfast is delicious with different food options.
Location is great for those seeking to be at the beach, but not in the crowd.

Room Tip: Good only if you've got business to do at Barra da Tijuca. Very far from city center and tourist...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank André A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
State of Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The service at reception is simply terrible. It looks like they are doing you the favor of talking to you... All in a bad mood! We forgot a phone charger and when we asked at reception the guy, without checking, said nothing was left and that our collegue probably forgot it somewhere else.
Also it gets quite noisy when the wind blows in the middle os the night.
Not worth it at all!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank PersonWhoJourneys
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 13 November 2013

LOCATION:
If you want to spend your time in Rio at Barra da Tijuca and surroundings, this is great location - the beach is just across the street, with a good track for seaside jogging and wonderful sunset.
But if you want to visit (proper) Rio de Janeiro (with its main must-see points), then you should avoid Barra da Tijuca. The traffic is a real problem in Rio. To go anywhere near the South Beaches or Downtown in Rio would stole you almost a hour of your precious time in Rio.

HOTEL:
It is a 1 year-old hotel, but some details already need maintenance as inside the lifts. Good room, clean, modern. I booked for a single room, and there was three very narrow single beds. I'd really like more just one queen size bed, but ok. The TV hadn't good cable signal, bad sound and image. The window gives you a great sight to the ocean, specially at the sunset time. It's not sound-proof; from the 7th floor I could hear the waves - what it's no problem at all. The walls seemed thin: I could hear the sound of the shower in the next room - which really can wake you up.
The bathroom is very good - you can enjoy either jacuzzi or shower.
Average breakfast - the coffee itself isn't good (I'm a coffee-addict), the bread could be better. They cannot make a good espresso for you. Don't even ask for. It's far from "continental" breakfast Brazilian hotels use to offer.
Last thing: they charge for wi-fi connection - IMHO it's rude if you are paying no bargain.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with sight to the sea, upper floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Parolo-E
Alamo, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for a business conference he was attending, so we didn't know what to expect. We had a view of the ocean that was fantastic, as the beach was right across the street. We really liked the cleanliness, as well as the pleasant efficiency of the staff (Mauricio spoke English and was kind and very helpful).

I was on my own in the daytime, so the tour that was arranged by the concierge staff was really perfect--small and personable (Try to get Victor as your guide--he is awesome).
The breakfast buffet was very good with some local dishes available. Also the small bar in the lobby made the best caipirinha! I had one my first night there, and never had another that rivaled it.

The only downside was the hotel's location from downtown Rio. I took taxis to the city proper and to the botanical garden, and it took a fair amount of time to get there due to traffic and distance. If you take a yellow cab you need to pay in cash, though it is less expensive than calling for a red cab which takes credit/debit cards.

I should mention something about the noise at night since other writers mentioned this. Neither my husband nor I were bothered by it. It was sort of loud, I suppose, but it was a white noise from the ocean across the street with the sound of cars passing by, not a lot of honking or voices, etc. So to me this was just ambient sound. Maybe we are immune since we spend a fair amount of time in Manhattan, where it really is noisy.

Room Tip: You must get a room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JeannefromNorCal
Florianopolis, Brazil
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I loved staying in this hotel. Nice and fast staff, new and really clean room. I was lucky enough to get the highestfloor facing the beautiful Barra beach.
Very good bbreakfast.... Go for a walk.... You'll probably be faster than cars. There's always traffic jams.

• Stayed October 2013
Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I took this trip with two foreign friends. For the most part, our trip was more business than tourism, except that we stayed in Rio de Janeiro from Saturday night until Monday morning. Considering that Sunday was Mother's day, the hotel was surprisingly empty... or perhaps not so surprising, given the rate (US$300/night for a triple-room). Yes, it is expensive, but the view/location might just be well worth the price we paid. Furthermore, proximity to the Yellow Line makes it relatively easy to commute to the International Airport or out of Rio. The staff was professional, friendly, polite and helpful. The few interactions we had, they were very accommodating. Valet parking is also included, although one of the drivers did not know how to start a key-less car. Beds were narrow, but I had no problem sleeping through the night, even with the AC working (not too noisy). Breakfast was included in the price and was plentiful, with a variety of fruits, juices, and breads. There were a few (and rather small) annoyances: internet was paid (US$10-US$13 depending on R$ exchange rates), the loss of the magnetic/electronic room key would incur in surcharges, and don't ask for an espresso: at US$2.50 a shot, you would think that coffee was imported from Europe... but in reality it did not taste that great. All in all, it was worthwhile as my friends got to wake up to an astonishing view of Barra Beach.

Room Tip: 1. Wireless internet worked better near the corridor, away from the balcony. 2. The staff explains...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank vini00
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed 2 nights in April 2013. This is a modern luxury hotel. The internet cost was approx. 10.00/day. The buffet breakfast was very good. A nice assortment of fresh fruit, eggs that were prepared in many different ways, crepes etc. We paid more for an ocean view. It was beautiful. The rooms were very clean. The staff at the front desk spoke English & were very helpful. I like firm beds so I found them comfortable. Never used the pool as the ocean was across the street. The only negative I found was that the patio window is only single pane. The traffic on the streets is heavy during daylight hours & you could easily hear it with the patio door closed. Having the ocean view was nice as at night we could hear the waves crashing. If noise is an issue bring ear plugs. Our flight left in the evening & they accommodated us by storing our luggage & provided us with an area to change in prior leaving. They arranged reasonable Taxi service for us back to the airport. Rio is very expensive. You may not be getting the same for this price as in other countries but in comparison with other hotels in Rio was equivalent or better. I was concerned about booking this hotel when I read some of the reviews but very relieved when we arrived & it met our expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms that had ocean view may be noisy as patio door is single pane. The noise of the waves is soot...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple