“Home away from home”
Review of Canto da Carambola

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio de Janeiro
Canto da Carambola
Brisbane, Australia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at Canto da Carambola for 7 days during the World Cup with three other friends - we loved it! We stayed in a room accommodating four people. The room was spacious, comfortable and oozing with character (just like the rest of the B&B!). The facilities were extremely clean and the shower was hot with good water pressure. Our room opened out onto a balcony which had an extraordinary view of the city and we were surrounded by the forest! The B&B itself is located in Santa Teresa and we were able to walk down to Lapa (the party hub of Rio) & from there catch the metro to anywhere in the city.
Miro and Sergio were incredible hosts & made our stay sensational! They had a wealth of knowledge about Rio and were able to provide us with all the information we needed. They even let us use their own washing machine to do laundry, free of charge! The breakfast was amazing! Every morning we were served with a buffet breakfast which included toast, fruit, cheese, ham, smoothies, cake, yogurt..YUM!

I would most definitely recommend staying here when you are in Rio! I know I will be! Enjoy

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anmol M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

There is something poetic about sitting in my beautiful room at Canto da Carambola, this last evening of my second stay here. I look outside my window in wonderment at the ease with which the colours of the house, the finely crafted aesthetics combining the most beautiful plants, found-objects given second leases to life in the most creative ways, and the genuinely vintage building itself, with high ceilings and an immense sense of space, seem to effortlessly merge into the gentle evening light of Santa Teresa. And i know that every time i return to Rio, this will be my home.

Canto da Carambola is located in perhaps the perfect spot in Santa Teresa, itself, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of Rio, being right between the more local Largo das Neves, and the spot where the local world merges with the tourist world, Bar do Gomes. Each of these is a 5 to 8 minute walk away, while Largo do Guimaraes, the most touristy part with several bars and specialist eateries is an additional 8 minute walk away from Gomes. Spectacular views of Rio, especially at night, simply creep up on you from unremarked corners as you walk around this area.

The house itself has a sense of a love of things, of preservation, of living history. Each of the big rooms is a treat full of beautiful old furniture, little objects that tell stories of times and places far away. The courtyard at the back, is so aesthetically pleasing, and quiet that i chose this spot to shoot videos of lectures that i had to deliver to students at University back home. the courtyard looks out over an impressive view of parts of Rio, as also a thick garden where Miro, a biologist by training, grows secret fruits that have long disappeared from markets in Rio.

While most BnBs in Rio offer almost precisely the same breakfasts - bread, ham, cheese, some cereal etc., at Carambola i got accustomed to waking up every morning with an excitement at what Miro and Segrio might have cooked up - breakfast specialities from different parts of Brasil, the random new fruit that one simply has to try, to experience the diversity of life - each of these always with stories, histories and a smile. I was truly impressed with the fact that few things were ever repeated - and I stayed more than a month!

Miro and Sergio, the hosts, along with their dogs and cats (and a family of the cutest little monkeys that visits their garden in the morning for fruit treats) gave me a true sense of home, with warmth, laughter and several interesting conversations. I not simply recommend Canto da Carambola to everyone visiting Rio, but hope to actually bring friends and loved ones here to experience this little treasure, this 'corner' tucked away on a hill, far far away!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank xaef
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family and I stayed for 7 days at Canto da Carambola during the World Cup and had an fantastic time. I traveled with my wife, 2 daughters (age 5 and 8) and my in-laws and we had a great stay at Canto. Miro and Sergio are great hosts and they opened up their home to my family. The home is a beautiful oasis in the middle of Santa Teresa and the backyard has a great view of the city, yet is surrounded by banana, guava, mango, and carambola trees. We were even visited by a family of monkeys, which the kids loved to see. We used taxi's everywhere we went and they came frequently in front of the house. Our hosts, Miro and Sergio, are so great that anything we needed they quickly attended to us. For example, my daughter got really sick one night and Miro called the pharmacy and was able to get medicines delivered to us quickly! I would recommend to anyone visiting Rio to stay at Canto da Carambola. It's a loving home, and Miro and Sergio will treat you like family. Grande abraços.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David G
Padua, Italy
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Was here alone and a bit disorientated due to the fact that it was my first time in Rio and that in that occasion was travelling as a lone girl. Miro and Sergio's place was exactly the location I could feel as if I was home, and even better due to the charming artistic and vintage decorations and the luxurious garden. In the mornings you could probably experience one of your best ever home made breakfast (still remember the banana jam :)) and the fact of being surrounded by mango and other tropical trees added extra value to it.
Thanks to Miro and Sergio for their useful advice for the three days I toured Rio. Am sure I wouldn't have had such a good experience (also gastronomic :))in the city without their directions!
Quero voltar um dia!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had the room with the veranda. Beautiful view over Rio. A nice back yard with open kitchen. Nice and clean Bath room and eberything furnished with good taste.
And Miro the owner and his friends are always helpfull, will give you advicewhen needed and good tips concerning Santa Teresa.

I really loved it there and hope to come back one time.

Room Tip: The verandah!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Miro and Sergio's place for 3 nights and it was perfect! The house is beautifully decorated with art (some of it made by Sergio!) and retro artifacts, it's all just very very pretty! Also the outside space looks very nice and has stunning views.

Santa Teresa is a peaceful and quiet neighborhood, I felt safe all the time even at night whilst walking the streets. There are a couple of very nice bars and restaurants on walking distance.

The bathroom was great, the bed comfortable en the breakfast is one of the best I've ever had and Sergio and Miro are simply the best :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 9 February 2014

me and my friends stayed more than one week in miros and sergios nice house. it s in the heart of the famous quarter santa teresa. we had the perfect start of our brazil trip there, beside the fact that the house is clean and so very nice equipped with so much love in details the best thing was the hosts themselves!!!! they gave us a welcome like if we were friends for a long time, showed us so many things we would have never seen on our own! The breakfast is THE BEST in whole rio :-) with fruits from there own garden!!!! i will sure come back there!!!! love, evi

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends