“Security, caring, respect and fun!”

Favela Santa Marta Tour
Santa Marta Favela Walking Tour
Ranked #22 of 465 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: On this tour we will go to the top of the favela using the cable car of Santa Marta ( inclined plane ), together with the residents where the tourists will feel the atmosphere of the favela doing a tour through the street and alleys where the local story is told together with the story of famous people that came here as Queen Elizabeth II , Michael Jackson , Madonna , Vin Diesel , Hugh Jackman ( Wolverine ) , Alicia Keys , Bradley Cooper , Spike Lee among others. The top of the favela has a panoramic view of the city, where you see the Christ Redeemer , Sugar Loaf, Praia de Botafogo, Lagoa Rodrigues de Freitas and the entire district of Botafogo. We met at the Shell gas station located at the corner of Calle San Clemente and Rua da Matriz in Botafogo. Inside the station is a shop called "Select", which we found near the store for easy identification, at the scheduled time.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Security, caring, respect and fun!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We were in 4 people and we were guided by Pedro. We had a tour from 10am to 2pm. It was a lot of fun, we felt secure during the whole time, we met real from the favela, we talked to them, they told us to feel free and enjoy the favela. Santa Marta has a great view of the Cristo. Thiago was born, raised and still lives there. He took us to his house, we had caipirinha and we meet his family. It is great to see an amazing project happening over there. Totally safety, you must go to know the favela inside!

1 Thank Clara B

Oslo, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A gift from Rio, go and see it.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Me and my friend went to the favela with the tours of Santa Marta Favela Tours a couple of days ago, and that experience was by far one of the best moments in our stay in Rio de janeiro. We wanted to see something more than just the copacabanas, the ipanemas and the christ statue, so we got in contact with the tours. We met with Thiago and John on the bottom of the favela near a gas station and they took us up the favela while explaining every stop we made wether it was about the view, hisitory of the favela or some of the houses in the favela. We took a lot of pictures and the people didn't seem to be bothered by it and we felt safe through the whole tour. We also got invited to Thiago's home and he served us the famous brazilian caprinha drink, which we appreciated a lot and showed the love brazilians have to the tourists in the country. Three words to describe the tour: important, safe and amazing! I recomend it to anybody visiting Rio de janeiro.

Thanks to Santa Marta Favela Tours, and a special thanks to Thiago and John..

2 Thank Surafel M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Different Experience”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went to Santa Maria Tour while we were in Brasil for the world cup. The Favela is about 15minutes walk from the subway (not bad). We arrive and Thiago was waiting for us. We went up and they inform us the cable car was broke so we will have to walk all the way up. I have problem with my knee (knee surgery) so it was really really difficult for me to climb the stairs. Thiago stay with me all the time, he was very helpfull. The tour talk about the Favelas, how they were create ect, We took the tour in english but Thiago was there.We speak spanish so it was easy to communicate directly with Thiago. Our guide look like tire and sometimes we did feel he just wanted to be over with the tour. So at the end, we talked directly to Thiago which is so pleasant and he took the time to answer all ours questions. He offered us a caipirinha and we met his Father, they are nice people! I enjoyed the tour and Thiago was amazing.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ivonnel371
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must see in Rio.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I went on this tour with my wife and three family members.

Having lived in Rio when I was younger, and having family living there now, I've always known of favelas and had little to no interest in visiting them. My wife is the one who pushed me to go... And I must say, I'm glad she did.

It was very interesting to see the other side. My trip to Brazil would not have been completed without it.

I must say, however, that I didn't feel 100% safe at all times. But, we do come from Canada, a country where this type of poverty simply does not exist. So, a small element of fear should be expected.

Great tour guides in English and in Portuguese. Thiago, our Portuguese tour guide, gave us a great (political, social, and personal) perspective on how it is to grow up in the favela.

You have not truly visited Rio unless you have seen the other side of it.

1 Thank THIERRY C
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“a Must in Rio de Janeiro”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My friend recommended this Favela tour to us with Thiago and John. The tour was very interesting into the colorful favela Santa Marta. The tour began with a fantastic view of Rio then ended with a very good drink in the house of Thiago. Highly recommend!

1 Thank Lei M