“Feels like home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Discovery Hostel
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I originally stayed at Discovery for one week while doing a language course in the Centro area of Rio. I ended up coming back 3 times, and the hostel really does feel like home.

The owners/staff put a lot of effort into making this a nice place to be - not only keeping it clean, but also chatting to guests and helping people out. Zion's BBQ was excellent - the food was great and the hostel had a real buzz to it, not in a 'party' way, more of a chilled out vibe. I also did a Forro dancing class, followed by a group trip to a Forro club, which I wouldn't have done had I not stayed here. I think one of the best things is that even though there is lots going on, there is never any pressure to get involved. If you want a quiet night, there is still enough space for that.

As a solo traveller it is a great place to stay, as the common areas make it easy to meet people. Breakfast is good, based around bread and cheese, but more adventurous and better quality than most hostels I've stayed in - again you can tell that the staff put effort into preparing it each morning. The kitchen is well
equipped, and used quite regularly by guests. The dorms are very well separated from the living area, which really adds to the 'homey' feel. There is a blackboard with suggestions for things to do each day, which ranges from make tourist attractions to more obscure ideas.

Location-wise, it really is less than 50m from Gloria metro station. Santa Teresa and Lapa are very easy walking distance, Centro is a bit further, but definitely walkable if you want. Getting the metro to Copacabana/Ipanema beaches takes about 15min. There are also plenty of buses passing right by the hostel - I found them confusing at first, but once you understand the geography of the city they start to make a bit more sense.

All in all, I can't thank the staff at Discovery enough for being so friendly during my stay in Rio. It definitely wouldn't have been the same without this place, and I would definitely come back again in future.

4 Thank Hannah1812

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Well, thats my opinion anyway. After almost a year of travelling in South America arrived at Rio, my final destination, feeling a little travel weary, but this place soon changed all that. I love Rio and I love Discovery Hostel.

This place is really new...and is therefore spotless. The chill-out areas are great. The bathrooms are clean, with hot water. The breakfast is good. The location is right by the Gloria metro stop and about 15min walk from the heart of Lapa or Santa Teresa.

The guys who run the place are cool too and I really enjoyed staying...in fact i kept on extending and extending my stay until the 'pilgrims' foiled my plan to stay forever! I then had to move to another hostel for my final 2 nights....and regretted it.

Go to Rio, and stay here...nowhere else...you wont regret it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank thecuriouswolf
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Great hostel in perfect location. Staff is very welcoming and helpful, they make you feel immediately at home. The atmosphere is nice, relaxed and fun and plenty of cool activites are arranged.
I stayed in a double room with my girlfriend and can only recommend this place.

2 Thank Davide_Lugano
Maplewood, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Great location, friendly staff, and a cute cat who tried to nip me on the first day! The place is social and quiet at the same time. Everything is well thought out - lockers, breakfast, computer room - thanks to young and smart owners. My favorite part of last week's stay was a dance lesson for guests with a professional instructor. I would recommend this place to my best friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Victoria V
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was by far the best hostel on our trip. The owners and all the staff at Discovery are incredibly helpful and friendly, they made our stay in Rio a special one. They are able to book any tour you like (football match, favela tour, walking tour). Breakfast is delicious (bruschetta mix is great), facilities are clean, it's so close to Gloria Metro in a safe neighbourhood with everything close by, and the chilled vibe of the place was unparalleled. See you again Zion & Enrique!
Steve & Kell

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephenRibeiro
Leicester, U.K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Me and my sister are traveling around Brazil and have just stayed at the discovery. We had an amazing time here. Extremely clean - the cleanest hostel we have ever stayed in and it gets cleaned daily which is great. The breakfast was lovely and the coffee very tasty! We stayed in a private room for a night which was very nice and we then moved into a 6 bed dorm which was also lovely - great way to meet other people! The hostel is in a very safe neighborhood and the metro is literally next door, where you can take a very cheap fare to the beaches and wherever you want to go. They also have a fantastic board in reception which tells you things you can do in the day - very helpful and adds that personal touch. The owners are all extremely friendly and knowledgable and go out of their way to make sure you start off in Rio with everything you need to know ! Jen told us everything and highlighted all of this in a map. We also booked tours and taxis with the hostel (24h reception) which worked perfectly for us. We liked it so much we are going back to rio from iguassu and have booked the discovery for more nights - a genuinely perfect base to explore rio :)

1 Thank f0urfun
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My friend and I returned to Rio to stay at Discovery Hostel because we had such an awesome experience the first time. We have been travelling South America for 3 months and this is the best hostel by far! It's always clean, the beds and pillows are so comfortable, and the breakfast is delicious. The location is perfect for catching the metro or bus. It's very close to Flamengo beach and Lapa as well (party area). You might be able to find these things in other hostels but the people who work here make the stay unforforgettable. We love Zion, Alex and Enrique! They went out of their way to make our experience awesome; taking us longboarding, to the beach, taking us dancing, or showing us the best places to eat. Thank you for your great hospitality, it was truly memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends