Discovery Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
US$710
  • Breakfast included
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)
US$232
US$143
US$253
US$246
  • Breakfast included
Transamerica Prime Barra(Rio de Janeiro)
US$58
US$42
US$40
  • Pool
Novotel RJ Santos Dumont(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$83
  • Restaurant
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$124
  • Pool
Copacabana Rio Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$58
  • Breakfast included
Atlantis Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$54
  • Breakfast included
Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$114
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgloria metro stationsocial atmospherewalking distance to lapalapa and santa teresabed dormtop bunka great place to meetcomfortable bedshome away from homeevery morningnight lifecommon areasvisiting riothe location is perfectenriquenightlifesupermarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is truly one of the most amazing hostels I have ever stayed in. You really feel like you are at home from the lovely way the hostel is decorated, to the wonderful staff and friendly, sociable guest this place seems to attract. I honestly could not of asked for more from a hostel. If you do not stay here if you visit Rio, you will really miss out on an exceptional hostel and I do not say this lightly as I have stayed in some fantastic hostels around the world. I want to say a special thank you to Frederikke and Rob who work the night shift. From when I arrived very early in the morning, I was welcomed with a beautiful smile and lovely conversation from the beautiful Frederikke. She was a real pleasure to deal with especially for the ridiculous hour that I arrived and considering how tired I was. Throughout my stay, I was always greeted this way even after coming home, a little worse for wear from a big night in Lapa! These guys are truly angels! A big huge thank you to everyone at Discovery, I will no doubt be returning to Rio in the near future!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the discovery for 4 nights and I would say its one of the best hostels I've stayed at. The staff were so friendly and the atmosphere is very chilled and comfortable! The location is great u r 10 mins walk from lapa and a short train trip to the cbd or beaches. Plus there is the most amazing pizza restaurant 5 mins up the road! I was so sad to leave rio and part of that reason because the hostel was so accommodating! Highly recommend xo

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent time at Discovery Hostel. Great location (close to Lapa, Centro and Copacabana) and really friendly staff. Given plenty of information on things to do within Rio each day. Lovely breakfast & dorms.

We were made to feel really welcome as soon as we arrived, and we enjoyed it there so much that we returned for a 2nd time a few days later as other hostels we stayed at in Rio felt so inferior in comparison!
Would 100% recommend :)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This hostel is great for backpackers and chilled out travellers. Beautifully decorated it's more like a boutique b&b as the friendly proprietor and his staff make you feel at home. Helpful guides will show you the quick transport links to all the major sites. Don't be fooled by it's laid back atmosphere, it's a great place to meet people and go out partying a stones throw from the bars of Santa Teresa and the all night street parties in Lapa, you are guaranteed to have an amazing time. In fact, I enjoyed this hostel so much I don't want to give it a great review in case it's overbooked when I come back!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I'll try and be brief... Put simply, this is an amazing hostel. The staff are very good and are always on hand to give helpful and honest advice. The atmosphere at Discovery is second to none, it is relaxed and homely, the staff encourage you to go out together in the evening which is nice as you get to know other people. The decor is lovely, quite unique and I found the whole place to be clean. Discovery is situated in Gloria which is a very safe location in walking distance to Santa Teresa and Lapa and minutes away from the metro station and a supermarket. I ended up having an extra day in Rio towards the end of my trip and tried to book Discovery last minute and it was fully booked (not surprised) and so stayed in another hostel. My other hostel was rubbish at giving advice so I headed back to Discovery who were more than happy to help me out even though I wasn't staying there - says it all. Loved it!

Room Tip: I stayed in a mixed dorm and loved it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple