“Good small hostel”

Discovery Hostel
Brisbane, Australia
“Good small hostel”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a great hostel. The guys who own the place are travellers themselves, and they know what backpackers are looking for. They have created a homely and social atmosphere, and it's only a small hostel which adds to the charm. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank seanjpsmith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Traveling with a friend to Rio, we wanted to find a hostel that would be within our budget, clean and cool to meet people. First, I must start by saying that Discovery is a special place. If you’re looking for a young party hostel, carry on. This place is chill, great place to meet travelers from all over with the common goal of really getting to know Rio. My friend from Cape Town and I stayed here for a week and then I returned solo for 3 more nights towards the end of my holiday – and my whole entire stay was amazing. I admit this was my second time ever in my life to stay in a hostel and with all the talks about Rio’s safety and in hopes to meet people, I chose to stay here based on TripAdvisor reviews. Since day one, my friend and I met people from all over the world and of all ages. We would congregate in the morning during breakfast sharing sightseeing and dining tips, and at night around 8pm when the bar opens as well as dinner time, folks would gather to chat again, play games, watch futbol on TV or get ready to party in Lapa. Instantly we bond with travelers which elevated the experience in Rio – from taking tours to dancing in Lapa – every moment there was about 5-10 people in our group having fun and making sure we were all safe.

Discovery completely surpassed my expectations for a hostel. It’s fairly new – recently opened – it’s style is like staying at a cool friend’s place in Rio. It’s located 2 minute walk from Gloria station and 10-15 minute walk to the Lapa nightlife, 20 minute hike up to Santa Teresa. There are supermarkets, a pharmacy, a bakery, a church (if you need to pray) all in the immediate area. I met many people who stayed in hostels in Copacabana – though it would have been nice to stay near the beach, the hostel is about 7 metro stops away from the beach. I preferred staying in the Gloria area as it’s not touristy as Copacabana/Ipanema – at night you really can’t be hanging on the beach since it’s not safe so it was convenient to party in Lapa and have the hostel right there.

For the first week, my friend and I stayed in a mix 6-bed dorm (She later moved to the female dorm as it was difficult for her to climb to the top bunk) Linens are provided and the bed was comfortable to sleep. I bonded instantly with the guests in the dorm – felt like I was traveling with longtime friends or family. The space is fluid and did not feel cramp. There was enough space for everyone, enough lockers, spacious shower and bathroom (upstairs – just opened) Outside of the dorm, there was enough space to relax including a living area with TV, outside courtyard and huge kitchen. And let me share that the breakfast is great too.

The hostel arranged for transportation to/from the airport even when I returned from my visit to Foz do Iguacu. They also booked my city tour to Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf as well as a walking tour in the Favela (I recommend taking it with Patrick – he was awesome and cares about your safety). There’s a board that displays daily suggestions from dining to dancing. Anything you wanted to do or even if you were open for suggestions, the hostel took care of.

In regards to the staff, absolutely delightful! A big thanks to Lorraine, Zion, Enrique, Nacho, Sebastian, Sascha, Martha, Michell, and Leite the cat for making my holiday so amazing and for all the delicious caipirinhas!

Overall, I fully recommend a stay at this charming and homey hostel. I regret not staying longer yet now I have a reason to return…hopefully soon :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jetsetMar
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Thanks all the crew in the Discovery Hostel. They helped me find my baggage through the bus company within only nine hours. They were nice and full of knowledge about almost every essential thing you need to notice in every aspect. It was very safe and full of harvest to take a trip with the tourist information they offered.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FYCL
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Amazing hostel in a great location right next to the metro station. Very clean and secure hostel with an amazing breakfast (with cake!) every morning. Also the bar in the evening is great and reasonably priced. Friendly staff who really make an effort to make you feel at home and have a great time in Rio. Always helpful with any questions you might have. Also, very easy to meet other travellers in the communal areas. I stayed here for nearly 2 months so you can take that as my review!;)

Room Tip: The breakfast is pretty popular so don't leave it until 10:29 like I did most mornings!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank PeterWBrown85
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Perfect base for your stay in Rio. If you want a quality hostel that's quiet without being too quiet this is the one.

I was initially concerned by the location, thinking I needed to be by one of the beaches. But this is a way better spot. A minute or two from the subway that takes you anywhere but crucially Discovery is very close to Lapa and Santa Teresa. Copacabana and Ipanema are 30 mins max on the subway which is easy to use.

Inside it has everything you need, including a great breakfast (8.30am start could be earlier though), good showers, a bar, social area and wifi throughout the building.

The staff are all good, each being very approachable and knowledgable.

Overall I had a great time here. It was comfortable, quiet and easy to sleep but it also has a good atmosphere and a night out is there if you want it.

Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Kris6767
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

+ nice and social atmosphere
+ clean
+ charming venue, nicely decorated
+ central position

- showers are too small so you have to dry yourself while the shower is still dropping on you
- rooms are very small
- The staff was mostly very nice. Only negative episode was one morning as I had to leave the hostel 15min before breakfast time. When I arrived in the kitchen everything was already ready and set up for the breakfast so I asked if I could take a piece of cake and the staff member told me that NO, I am not meant to take anything before time. I found that quite silly as it wouldn't change anything for them. I didn't ask to prepare anything extra before time or do somethin special, it was already ready.

I would definetly recommend this hostel. I enjoyed a lot my time there and met many nice travellers

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank NicPato
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Literally the best hostel. Clean, confortable and laid-back frendly staff. Location wise it's perfect. Nearby lappa, metrostation is on the corner and copacobana and centro are just 10 minutes with the metro away. Only problem is that it isn't a franchise yet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo