“Best hostel I've been to”
Review of Discovery Hostel

Discovery Hostel
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Really can't ask for a better hostel than Discovery.
-- The owners and employees are super friendly, cool and helpful. You'll likely consider them your friends by the time you checkout.
-- The accommodations are great (rooms, beds, showers, kitchen, living room, etc).
-- Location is awesome. 50 meters from the metro (only 4 stops from Copacabana, and many other places). Walking distance from Lapa (awesome area to eat and for nightlife).
-- Breakfast is fantastic. Every night they bake awesome stuff in preparation for the morning. Coffee, tea, juice, fruit, bread with jam/cheese, french toast, etc.
-- Frequent BBQs are unreal. Plenty of meat, potatoes, rice, salad ... these guys know how to feed you.
Really just a great atmosphere, I most definitely recommend it, and hope to be back for another visit in the future.

Room Tip: Private bedroom was awesome (AC, Fan, Comfy bed, plenty of space)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank glevy4

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Whether you're looking for a place to crash for the night or a lengthy stay, Discovery is a sure bet. I just completed a 2 plus week stay with a few friends. Everything about our visit surpassed my expectations - from the rooms, food, staff, and atmosphere. Despite having a large group, the staff made it easy to book and were always available to answer our questions. The hostel truly does all they can to ensure you enjoy yourself.

We got up and ate a good meal in the mornings provided by the hostel before heading out in Rio with the comfort of knowing our belongings were secure. At night we would relax and have a few drinks, and on certain nights take advantage of their generous BBQs, before catching a ride on the metro, which is 30 seconds away walking, or head over to Lapa - which is about 10 minutes.

You can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nick L
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I haven't stayed in a ton of hostels but this one is by far the best I ever have stayed in and will be tough to beat. All the amenities, very clean, plenty of room, breakfast and BBQs. Great location in the city also. The staff and owners truly care about making sure you have a great trip and are very knowledgable. I truly did not want to leave. If your going to Rio, stay at Discovery Rio hostel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dean G
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in some nice hostels before but this one really takes the biscuit, it's the best. I stayed for 6 nights and by the end I really did not want to leave. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful the moment I walked through the door (literally! The first thing they did was sit me down, give me a city map and mark out all the really unique, fun and must see stuff). This is really helpful especially if you are young and traveling on your own like me. They really do make an effort to think of you, from the random free barbecue they did to inviting you to play 5 aside football with them to the little shelf with power socket on every bunk bed (so useful!). Honestly they was nothing to complain about, the rooms were clean and decorated beautifully (with a common theme :D). The beds are super comfy and clean, the bathroom is clean and modern with a really good shower. The kitchen is free to use and has everything you need, the sitting area is just a really nice place to sit and talk to people and has a really good vibe. If I come back to Rio I would definitely stay here again as I really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jamie123186525
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great staff, super clean, cosy atmosphere! 50m from metro Gloria which guarantees a fast and easy access to any part of the city you want to go. Lapa, the party neighbourhood, is a 10 minute walk away which is awesome! Right in front of the house you can take a moto-taxi for a quick ride up to the famous Santa Teresa neighbourhood. 15 min metro ride to Copacabana beach! Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Mambembe H
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a great hostel. The guys who own the place are travellers themselves, and they know what backpackers are looking for. They have created a homely and social atmosphere, and it's only a small hostel which adds to the charm. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seanjpsmith
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Traveling with a friend to Rio, we wanted to find a hostel that would be within our budget, clean and cool to meet people. First, I must start by saying that Discovery is a special place. If you’re looking for a young party hostel, carry on. This place is chill, great place to meet travelers from all over with the common goal of really getting to know Rio. My friend from Cape Town and I stayed here for a week and then I returned solo for 3 more nights towards the end of my holiday – and my whole entire stay was amazing. I admit this was my second time ever in my life to stay in a hostel and with all the talks about Rio’s safety and in hopes to meet people, I chose to stay here based on TripAdvisor reviews. Since day one, my friend and I met people from all over the world and of all ages. We would congregate in the morning during breakfast sharing sightseeing and dining tips, and at night around 8pm when the bar opens as well as dinner time, folks would gather to chat again, play games, watch futbol on TV or get ready to party in Lapa. Instantly we bond with travelers which elevated the experience in Rio – from taking tours to dancing in Lapa – every moment there was about 5-10 people in our group having fun and making sure we were all safe.

Discovery completely surpassed my expectations for a hostel. It’s fairly new – recently opened – it’s style is like staying at a cool friend’s place in Rio. It’s located 2 minute walk from Gloria station and 10-15 minute walk to the Lapa nightlife, 20 minute hike up to Santa Teresa. There are supermarkets, a pharmacy, a bakery, a church (if you need to pray) all in the immediate area. I met many people who stayed in hostels in Copacabana – though it would have been nice to stay near the beach, the hostel is about 7 metro stops away from the beach. I preferred staying in the Gloria area as it’s not touristy as Copacabana/Ipanema – at night you really can’t be hanging on the beach since it’s not safe so it was convenient to party in Lapa and have the hostel right there.

For the first week, my friend and I stayed in a mix 6-bed dorm (She later moved to the female dorm as it was difficult for her to climb to the top bunk) Linens are provided and the bed was comfortable to sleep. I bonded instantly with the guests in the dorm – felt like I was traveling with longtime friends or family. The space is fluid and did not feel cramp. There was enough space for everyone, enough lockers, spacious shower and bathroom (upstairs – just opened) Outside of the dorm, there was enough space to relax including a living area with TV, outside courtyard and huge kitchen. And let me share that the breakfast is great too.

The hostel arranged for transportation to/from the airport even when I returned from my visit to Foz do Iguacu. They also booked my city tour to Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf as well as a walking tour in the Favela (I recommend taking it with Patrick – he was awesome and cares about your safety). There’s a board that displays daily suggestions from dining to dancing. Anything you wanted to do or even if you were open for suggestions, the hostel took care of.

In regards to the staff, absolutely delightful! A big thanks to Lorraine, Zion, Enrique, Nacho, Sebastian, Sascha, Martha, Michell, and Leite the cat for making my holiday so amazing and for all the delicious caipirinhas!

Overall, I fully recommend a stay at this charming and homey hostel. I regret not staying longer yet now I have a reason to return…hopefully soon :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends