“Somewhere a bit different in Rio!”
Review of Abbey of Design

Abbey of Design
Ranked #82 of 334 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Somewhere a bit different in Rio!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

A really interesting place - an old convent converted by a talented interior designer. Lovely rooms with the old stained glass windows. Stunning modern bathroom. You can walk to the beach from here and there are lots of restaurants on your door step. Yummy breakfast. There isn't air con or daily room service though. I would still really recommend it as it's great to stay somewhere different for a change. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RC1333

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed for just one night in the Abbey of Design when passing through Rio and really enjoyed our stay. The owner Chafik is extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious - fruits, yogurt, bread, cheese, fresh juice. The location is ideal for visiting Ipanema and Copacabana, whilst at the same time being on a slightly quieter side street than a lot of the big hotels in the area. When we booked we were a little concerned by what people had sais about it being near a favela, but there was really no need for concern at all. The favela is pacified (and in any case is not that close to the house) and we felt completely secure.

The house itself is very trendy - a pleasure to the eye!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate-Elizabeth33
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Abbey of Design was the perfect choice for my 5 day stay in Rio. The B&B is ideally located between Ipanema and Copacabana beaches and an easy walk to lots of attractions and great restaurants. The rooms are just divine with lots of extra little personal touches that really made my stay special. It is always much nicer to stay somewhere that is like a home where you are welcomed and included instead of a soulless large hotel where you are just a number.

I loved the outdoor spaces, terrace and garden were great to enjoy breakfast (which was always delicious and plentiful) or an afternoon snack after exploring.

Fred the manager is truly fabulous and I cannot say enough good things about him! He really knows Rio and cannot do enough to help with ideas of how best to enjoy your time there. He made my stay so much better and I would not have seen or experienced nearly as much if it wasn’t for his amazing assistance. He talked me through how to ride the local buses, where best to eat/drinks enjoy the sunset and so much more! There was often a lovely handwritten note from Fred under my door answering any questions I had and giving me more information about the things we had discussed at breakfast.

As a sole female traveler I felt very safe staying there and would recommend Abbey to anyone wanting a true Rio experience. Thank you Fred, you were so wonderful to me and I cannot thank you enough. I hope to be back some day!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Yellow room and absolutely loved it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I cannot recommend the Abbey of Design enough - there is so much to love! It is really well located between Ipanema and Copacabana, and is in a beautiful former convent building, which has been lovingly decorated by the owner, providing a showcase for his style of design. The place is a hidden gem, on a quiet side street just 5 minutes from the main square in Ipanema, so you are close to a lot of nice restaurants and bars, but its a bit calmer. There is so much attention to detail, all the decorations are very quirky and the whole place has a very cool and relaxed vibe, with lots of lovely outside spaces. Chafik explained to us that he wanted us to find it a home from home, and we really did.

The thing that really made it for us was the personal touch, both Chafik and Fred, the manager, were utterly amazing, and really went above and beyond. Fred provides an incredible service, and knows everything there is to know about Rio and went to a lot of trouble to give us personalized recommendations of things to do, he rang around to find out if things were open for us and gave us perfect directions on exactly how to get to all the places we wanted to see. I also loved the breakfasts which are beautifully presented on a wooden board with homemade yoghurt and freshly squeezed juice in little glass pots. I just wish we could have stayed longer! Thanks again Fred and Chafik for an amazing time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Miss_Shadester
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was a little hesitant to book this place since there weren't very many reviews on Trip Advisor, but boy am I glad I did! My husband and I just got back from 2 weeks in Brazil and Abbey of Design was by far our favorite accommodation. The property is amazing...very open and spacious, hip/artsy, and homey all at the same time. Fred was great every morning giving us tips/ideas for sight-seeing and fun things to do in the city. He gave us some great restaurant recommendations as well that ended up being some of our best meals of the whole trip! FRED - WE MISS YOU! The breakfasts in the morning were also epic (LOVED the yogurt parfait!), and it was a real treat to have the option to sit in the garden. The only thing that would have made this place better would have been if they accepted credit cards for booking, but honestly it was a small inconvenience for a great place. Great location too!

Room Tip: We loved having a room with our own bathroom. Make sure to specify if you want your own bathroom or...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica C
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Nothing but good things to say about the Abbey of Design! Situated on the best location, between Ipanema and Copacabana, the former convent is decorated with fine taste by owner Chafik. And Fred, who manages the place with great dedication, told us all the ins and outs of Rio and was always there for a chat or to help us. We started our Brazil trip in the Abbey and liked it so much that we came back for our last days in Rio. Will miss those delicious breakfasts!

• Stayed September 2013
London
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We weren't sure what to expect at the Abbey save for a few reviews here on Trip Advisor, however, Fred and Chafik were really nice guys - most welcoming hosts. The property is simply amazing -- overall a great experience! The space is very hip/design conscious, fabulous homemade breakfasts and just a short walk in-between Copacabana and Ipanema. The location worried us slightly on arrival, as it's very close (literally a few moments walk) to Cantagalo Favela, however it was really quiet at night, and we never once felt un-safe. The Abbey itself is like a little quiet oasis amongst a lot of hustle and bustle. Would definitely recommend and will stay there again if I am ever in Rio!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends