See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My stay here was from July 6 - 11, 2014.

This hostel is a hidden gem. Its location in the favela next to Leme offers the opportunity to sample life as Brazilians live it. I never once felt unsafe here, and while the climb to the hostel is no walk in the park, the view is worth it!

Gabriel, the host, is a champion. He's always available and willing to help out, whether it's teaching you common phrases in Portuguese, or pointing out the best places to eat that only locals know about. Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions on what to do.

I had an incredible experience in Rio and Gabriel's favela hostel was the biggest reason why.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hostel was great and the Gabriel was very nice and helpful. If you think staying in a favela is dangerous or not safe, please think again. All the people living in the favela are very helpful and nice. My stay here was a total success! If you want to meet great people and have a beautiful view every single day, this is the spot to stay at!

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2014

As a couple we visited Rio in May this year and stayed in Abracao Carioca hostel for 4 days.This was the best choice ever and we would have regret if we hadn't chosen this place.

The hostel is up to the small hill, in the safe&friendly favela near Copacabana and it offers you undescribeable view over the Rio's coast from the rooms and from the dining area (terrase) as well. It is very well connected with metro and bus station that takes you everywhere in the city.

The hostel is clean and the room that we stayed in was spacious and almost entirely in windows so we could enjoy the view from the bed when we went to sleep and when we woke up + on the terrase when having breakfast and all that with sounds of ocean and birds :)
As the day passes we would be a part of the favela's daily life routine which is something so authentic and if you don't experience it in Rio then you haven't visited it at all! We have even had luck to enjoy samba drums class of children from the favela that amazed us.

The host, Gabriel, was really kind, helpful, he managed to take us on some places in Rio that changed our perspective completelly.
I strongly recommend this hostel as it offers you not only bed and breakfast but also full authentic experience of the city and people living in as well.

Ana

Room tip: Both rooms are good choice, but I preferred Chapeau room as it enables you to have wide look upon the city as 3 sides are covered with windows.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Ana, Niko and myself looked just llike really old friends! Immediately we connected and our tours floated like the city was a calm sea. Santa Teresa and the world’s best “cheese bum”, the old storage, conversations about various subjects, downtown and the “old café”, well…everything felt like being in Rio again. Serbia and Brazil have a lot more in common that we would’ve imagined.
Saudade my friends!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My girlfriend and I have spent a few days in Rio in Abraco Carioca this May. While booking, we saw a lot of offers, but we were looking for something not so touristic and in a safe location near the beaches. After our stay, I can just say that it was really the best choice ever! The hostel is very clean and comfortable, and as everyone else says - it has an AMAZING view on the bay. That's something you can't really experience in the photos but you can get the hint... It's close to the beach and all the main transports to visit the city (buses and metro). And a very important thing: when you wake up with the sound of waves and birds singing it's much better than the noise of buses you get if you stay in Copacabana area :)

The favela is a very safe place, the people are friendly, you are never alone in the streets and you NEVER feel unsafe.

Gabriel is a great host, he made us feel welcome and comfortable right away. During our stay he spent a lot of time with us and it was like visiting an old friend - and now I can say I have a friend in Rio !! Thanks for everything Gabriel, our stay in Rio couldn't be even close this good if we haven't been at your place!!

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Saudade my friends!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I spend a few days at the Abraço Carioca this last April. Now I can't imagine another place to stay whenever I come back to Rio! The owner is the most incredible man. He is very friendly and up to help you on anything you need to enjoy the best Rio can offer. It's a cosy place with the nicest view and inside a very interesting favela community context. (Check the picture I took one day just after waking up!) The place is also a good spot to make new friends from around the world and get along with them by the city.
Perfect to spend some time with friends or even by yourself.
I'll definitely come back

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

This Mineiro is so cosmopolitan that reviewed us in English!
Even living in Belo Horizonte province, he is a walking source of immediate information of what’s going on around the world. And for fun and adventures as well…Lapa can tell us that.
Támas e Maria stayed here for a short period but they made it worth as for years with intensity and party! Shrimps on “Berbigão” and the popular dish on Quentinha da Neusa were real banquets to celebrate this nice encounter. I toast to this great mate a beer and a good cachaça as well!