“This hotel is old, but amazing location.”

Hotel Rondonia Palace
Ranked #164 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Several reviews here say that this hotel is too expensive for the services provided, but we are talking about Rio de Janeiro and I will explain how the things run in Rio: you will pay alot money for a poor service, rude people and be treated like an idiot, it is Rio de Janeiro.

Why? Several things are related, social issues, people trying to get things easier, lack of civility. In other words, why WorlCup is such mess? Why corruption and impunity are normal? Cause the brazilian society is like this and it reflect all arround.

Let me resume my review. This hotel is old, the higher floors got a basic renovation, but the best thing is the location. Few meters from Catete Street, this place has everything that you need (bank, several places to eat, easy to get taxi) and one block far from Catete Subway. Easy access to South zone, best beaches and downtown, whatever the reason of your stay, either business or vacation, the location is amazing.

The rooms has a good size, well cleaned, reasonable bathroom. The neighbourhood is quiet at night and will provide a good night's sleep. The breakfast is good, couple options of fruits and breads and the stuff are solicitous.

A Hotel on range of $100 with US or Europe pattern is a impossible dream for Rio de Janeiro and most part of Brazil.

If you want to visit Brazil and get good quality of service, either you will spend alot money in Rio or go to São Paulo or other places on south. São Paulo has the best quality of service of Brazil so far.

Rondonia Hotel is OK, will provide a good rest and has fast access to top places of Rio for $100, believe, it is cheap on Rio!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lincoln G

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

very nice hotel with a staff fussing! room and very adequate and Pdj is included! (If you are 5er you shall see how christ) geographically located close to the "Catete" Metro and 8mn COPACABANA, quiet, lively evening, if you need further information please told the concierge "CARLOS "There are very PROFESSIONAL!! still thank you Carlos! So to say that this is the ideal hotel for visiting Rio!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samleman
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Extremely basic type of hotel, with very simple (clean) rooms, and little else. This was booked for me by the organizers of a business conference, and it was a pretty bad choice. Breakfast buffet had very few options. The cheese bread was the only bright spot at breakfast time.

The Internet connection never worked in my room, despite the fact that the access point in my floor was just in front of my room. Complaining to the front desk didn't solve anything in the four nights I was there. In order to access the Internet I had to bring my laptop to work at the lobby, and being eaten by mosquitos.

Do yourshelf a favor and go somewhere else.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Francisco M
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and while everything was fine the hotel does not look like it has been upgraded for 20 years. Our room was adequate and the service was fine other than the wifi not working in the room (it worked in the lobby), but we got the feeling that we were paying too much for a hotel that is very tired. It's in a reasonably quiet street, the breakfast was good and there are some reasonably priced restaurants nearby so I don't want to be too negative about this place, but just remember when you make a reservation that you are NOT staying in a place that can be described as either modern or comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wanderer52149
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We booked the hotel the day before we went to Rio and all the other hotels were sold out, so we booked a family room for 4 ppl.

Location: good, felt safe, was 2 blocks away from the metro (subway) station and that was way cheaper than catching a cab. It was $3,20 reals for a one way pass. We used it to go to cocacabana and impanena beach which saved us a lot of money because you just get off at the stops and walk a couple blocks to the beach. Most ppl in Rio speak English so you can ask for directions but recommended you know the basics of Portuguese and know the language for directions and buying souvenirs and food... There is a little store across the street we bought water from, a bar down the street that is crackin on Friday nights, a yokisobba place down at the corner going towards the other shopping little stores or street vendors. Nice location and good experience of the culture. Close by to Lapa (street/block party) was a short cab ride of $9 reals at night time cab fare..

Room: when we got our room it only had 3 twin size beds, then we told the bell boy there are 4 of us that is what we booked. Then the maid came in and pulled out the fourth bed. Watch our for the leg post as 3/4 of us hit our toes or knees and got a bump or cut. When you enter the family room there is an entry room with a table and two chairs whiched worked out for us because some of us needed time away on our phones or watched Netflix on our phones, so you got the privacy.. The floors are tiled, came with a tv with cable, mini fridge, the bathroom had a jacuzzi bath tub, is loud tho when you turn it on.. The bathroom was nice enough and clean, the jacuzzi tub looked a but worn out but decent for the price and this place is way better than other hotels. Has a toilet with a duvet. Grabite counters in the bathroom sink. You get wifi in your room, but is weak, so we had to go in the little entry area of our room. It was very comfortable for the price we paid which was about $280 reals a person for 4 days 3 nights.. (total was $1154 reals). We bought the lock to the safe in your room which was a flare rate of $5R to lock up our passports and money. We felt very safe with it.

Service: they were very nice and helpful. You turn in your key to them before you leave the hotel to go out. Most of the staff speak English in the front desk so they were able to communicate with us. The staff was very delightful and Greated you every morning and very attentive by helping with luggage, and getting the elevators for you and hailing cabs. Nice service I had a food experience. No problems or complaints here.

Breakfast: was good, good variety, same thing every morning. The eggs were good and their orange juice was good too! They had fresh fruits and pastries, cereal, coffee, yogurt, good selection and looked very clean and organized. No flies around since it was inside the hotel do I loved that part...

Overall I would recommend ppl to stay here and is one of my better hotels while traveling in brazil. The hotel was clean and didn't have a funky smell (except in the closet of Smelling old or something) and was comfortable for my price. The sheets were clean and no draft coming through, good experience. We just bought four water bottles and a big jug of water and Kept refilling to conserve money instead of drinking from the mini bar since its way more expensive.

You can book your guides or things RO do in Rio through the hotel too. We booked ours online already to see the sugar loaf mountains and the Christ statue and this hotel is not one of the pick up spots so we had to go to best western near by, you can catch the metro there and walk up a few blocks to save money.. And by walking you see street vendors that sell food! Yum!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank SpOnTaNeOuSsUi
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Surely the hotel is not the finest, most comfortable you can get. But fares are reasonable for what you get, staff is very kind, and more important, is located in a lovely neighbourhood. Away from the tourist-madness of Copacabana, Flamengo is a lovely and charming district, with fine restaurants, streets, squares, and sites. The beach is just one block away from the hotel, where you can enjoy lovely walks at any time with all safety, and above all, nobody will be chasing you because you look tourist to sell you some crap!!
At the end, nobody comes to Rio to stay in a hotel, when there is so much to see and admire. The hotel is fine, beds are good enough and sleep is not bad. For the price you pay, is quite fair enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Arturo65
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here for a week. When I checked in I first didnt get the room I booked. I got a small room with 2 twin beds, while I booked for a double bed. So I asked the bellboy for this. He first said he didnt had it, but when I told him I booked for it, he gave me another room. This was a huge room with view on the Christ. So I think it wasnt correct first giving me the bad room. Anyways, the breakfast was ok. Staff wasnt too nice. They charged me 2 times for things i didnt do. First they said I took 2 whiskey from the minibar, I didnt take. Then they charged me for a extra person in the room. I actualy got quite mad about it. So be carefull if you check your bill. I didnt had to pay for these things, but just had the feeling they try to rip you off. When I got mad they apologised. And said it were just mistakes. Well sorry i dont get it? How can you make a mistake like this?

They also requested me to pay half of the bill after 4 days. Just locked my door. I didnt feel too good about this. The good things to the hotel is the location, close to the subway Largo de marchado, close to flamengo beach. And the room looked very clean (sleeping part) and big rooms. And a jacuzzi. Bathroom was not the best look, bit dark and walls were not that clean, but I enjoyed the private jacuzzi.

Room Tip: I had a room on the front site, which was huge, the ones in the back I saw it was small.