“Beautiful and fun excursion!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Trekking at Pedra da Gavea in Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #10 of 702 things to do in Rio de Janeiro
Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful and fun excursion!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I went here with a brazilian friend one day and it was great. Pretty tough hike if you do it fast and amazing view from the top! Definitely worth it! Bring a lot of water and some bananas.

Visited January 2014

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“if you like adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

you can jump from up there on a ultralight/glider, the rides are not cheap(they are not cheap anywhere, anyway) but I don't believe you will get the same experience anywhere. amazing.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank pri1975
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“INCREDIBLE - just go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We went with Xtreme Rio tours and could not be happier. Only contacted Victor late on 31 Dec - despite it being New Year's Eve he was able to get back to me within a couple of hours to confirm a tour for the 1st Jan. Our guide Eduardo was cool, friendly, spoke perfect English and was so helpful - couldn't have done it without him, especially the scary steep parts. The view from the top is the best I've ever seen, and I'm from New Zealand so have seen a lot of good views. Word of warning, it is a strenuous walk. You need to be fit. But it's the best thing we've done in Rio so far. Go, you won't regret it. Take 3 litres water per person and go early in the morning to avoid the heat.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Ngaire W
Rio de Janeiro
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“walking on the forest”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I found it nice as a walk, but it was too hot for a long journey. I'd rather have done it in another month. December is very hot in Rio.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Tlustosa
La Jolla, CA
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Biggest Challenge- to hike up the Tallest Oceanside Monolith in the WORLD!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

OMG, i went to RIO twice this year, and Hiking this was on my list "to do" and I am so glad I did it on my second visit there (End of Sept. '13). I hired a Guide (if you are going to the TOP, I HIGHLY suggest using a guide for Safty reasons on a few levels....not just the Mnt, but the people surrounding you, I know from 1st hand knowledge but wont go into the story unless you ask me about it)
I booked a guide through my Concierge at my Hotel, (HikeRIO) and no one was signed up the whole week (they need more than one person) so I made it my mission to find someone to go with me and I found him! I suggest to start early (we were AT the base by 8am) and it was a fabulous hike-80% in the forest (part of the largest Urban Forest in the World) and the last part with Ropes and harness was different for me but I am glad I had it as I am not experienced rock climber. There is NO ROOM to fall the last 35min of this hike. I know for a fact, I would have fainted or thrown up on the spot if I had ever looked down! Especially when I was OFF rope and on a wet, muddy, Very Narrow path with one small slip, I'd be gone.... and not writing this!
Once on top, it was great (of course!).... but I did not look forward to going down, but we rapelled down the Rock Part, and I liked that better! We went down with another group we had met due to the fact that the guides noticed some people in question.... (that's where they came in handing, once again, as there are seldom some "hold ups" on top, and well, I would have been beyond bummed if someone stole my camera and all my bragging rights!!!)
I hiked up at a good pace and down as well (except for rock part!!)
I felt GREAT during and after- had a massage- a couple of drinks by the pool and I fell asleep at 7pm and never woke up!!! The next few days I was feeling it in my legs.... it's the Going Down that gets me! At any rate, if you are in GOOD to excellent shape- it's a MUST! I just wish we could Hang Glide off the top!! I would do it again when I go back next Spring!! (I love RIO! and it's so easy to get to!)

Visited September 2013