“Just fine”

Hotel Santa Clara
Ranked #157 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
“Just fine”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Sonetimes I think Tripadvisor's reviewers can be a bit harsh. This hotel is exactly what I was after - cheap & cheerful, no pretentions, good location. Breakfast was a bit underwhelming, but who cares, I'm going out to eat anywhere. Keeping my bicycle in my room was no problem. I'm going to stay another night.

I paid R$200/night for a single room.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

very friendly staff,nice and clean and quiet rooms.good localisation,copacabana beach is in 15min walking distance.shopping street near by.breakfast is served in your room.very reasonable price for what you get.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank palomaw88
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

we stayed at hotel santa clara and would defenitively recommend as an option in rio. the staff always welcomed us with a smile when we returned to the hotel. they helped with taxi and touristic advise. be careful though their favourite taxi driver tends to make on or two loops to much to make a bit more money!
the rooms are clean and spotless though with a bit of an oldfashioned touch- but for brazilian standards nicely and plane decorerad.
for rio i think you can't expect a better value for price deal!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 04skipper
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I think it all has been said before! So in short: in other cities you would got more for this money. But in Rio (or for that matter in my hometown Amsterdam) not. In Rio this is excellent value for your money, good location, quiet neighbourhood, close to Ipanema, the metro and so forth, a cupboard that you can lock. The room and shower was clean, fresh towels every day, breakfast in the room. I spend part of my day in my room, because I still had to do a lot of arranging and searching for my stay in Brazil. When I had the idea that the cleaners were out of rom options for cleaning I moved to the reception area to do some more searches and make reservations. I stayed in room 206 and made the mistake of leaving my window open the first day to be woken at 5.00 by the staff from the building next door. But then again, the next days I had the window closed and the AC on and stll woke up between 5.00 and 5.30, coming from a different time zone. And once i smelt the coffee there was no more sleeping. I do love my coffee and they serve a mean, mean coffee: hot and strong and aromatic. it was actually the best coffee in Rio.
Still, be smart and close the window. The light in the room was not very cosy. But then again i am in favour of saving energy.
But then: I can't emphasize enough that this is family run hotel! How charming and enormously polite and friendly the staff was. And to top it off: when i was in the reception area, waiting for the cleaners to finish, checking the internet and my lonely planet guide on the internet, the older gentleman - whom I think is the owner (?) moved my chair closer to the lamp and with effort bend down to turn on the light. For me this was so heart warming, to the point of heart breaking! It is really, really being treated as a guest. Chapeau!

Room Tip: I read that for a bit more you van have a room in front with balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank henrivantilburg
Elburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 July 2013

if you are looking for an affordable family run hotel in Copacobana which is reasonably priced, than Santa Clara is an excellenent choice. The hotel is 6 blocks away from Copacabana beach and is situated in a very safe, quiet neighbourhood. It is very easy and safe to walk around the hotel during day and night.

The rooms in the hotel are simple but clean and it does the job. Breakfast is included and is served in your room: it is fine if you do not fancy an extensive buffet. For me it was a great way to start the day.

If you are planning to visit Rio for a short time to explore the city than Santa Clara is great place to stay. I would certainly recommend this place

Room Tip: I had room 106 on the first floorm right behind the frontdesk which was very convenient. The only do...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank esselinj
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Arrived late at night into Rio and was welcomed by a very friendly guy at the desk who also spoke good English. Breakfast was included and served to our room. Good breakfast with fresh fruit. The room was good, although our smelled a bit stale. Stayed only one night before moving on down the coast.

All in all a friendly welcome to Rio!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel with 3 friends, after staying at a filthy hostel we wanted 2 nights somewhere much better and this hotel was that.

The staff, especially Paulo were very helpful. Our room was a decent size with air con, we paid £125 each for 2 nights during Carnival season, so not too expensive. We were offered tours and they were very helpful in making sure we got the airport ok and weren't ripped off. The breakfast was great and served to your room, which was an added bonus.

I would go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 103, which was lovely but apparently there are ones where you pay £15 more and get...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends