“It's not about where you stay, it is about how you are treated.”

and 1 more site!
Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House)
Ranked #25 of 329 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“It's not about where you stay, it is about how you are treated.”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Marta's Guest House in Rio because my girlfriend's mother referred the b&b to us. She explained that the b&b is in the perfect location of Copacabana as well as the owner, Marta, takes good care of her guests. Well my girlfriend's mother was not wrong! It was not just the location of the guest house, or even the view from the terrace; what made us fall in love was the impeccable service given by Marta. She is a very intelligent, caring woman. My girlfriend and I originally stopped in Rio so that I could renew my US visa. The visa took longer than expected and my girlfriend and I were leaving to go to another location. When I discussed this to Marta, she offered to pick up my visa from the embassy and overnight the documents to whichever location I will be. It came to a huge surprise that such a nice lady would go out of her way to help someone she just met. Not only was my issue bigger than we both thought, but she did what she promised and I could not thank her enough. Besides helping me with my visa, she also referred some great restaurants for us to go to as well as gave her advice on what tourist attractions were best. Hotels may have nice views as well as a concierge; but they do not treat you as if you were family and that is what we felt when we stayed at Marta's. When we visit Rio again, we will not be staying anywhere else but Marta's Guest House.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have been several times in Rio, all kind of hotels, rates, etc... But with difference this is the best place to stay!
- The location, just perfect.
- The rates, very competitve compared with other places.
- The views, you won't get better views any other place...
- The breakfast, great! Fresh fruits, bread, chease, iogurts, pastries,...
- The rooms, clean, confortable...
- The owner, Marta, an amazing person.
Apart from the great days we spend in Marta's guesthouse... Unfortunately, we forgot our mobile phone in the appartment the day we left... but Marta helped us to recover it once we were back to our country! Thank you Marta for your help!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed in The Rio Guest House in early January 2014 for 8 nights. The Rio Guest House is located on the top two penthouse floors of what could be described as a beach side residential high-rise building. The views are just stunning and the setting and furnishings within the beach-house is really lovely and tastefully appointed (as can be seen by its photos).

Marta is a lovely, caring and vivacious hostess who is there to support you (with some great contacts on seeing Rio) but at the same time is not intrusive in you wanting privacy. Another good feature is the 24 hour doorman located on the ground floor keeping access to the building safe. The location of The Guest House is also useful with many major banks just on the corner, a good laundry across the road, 24 hour cafes nearby and small supermarkets just around the corner.

The traditional Brazilian breakfast served varies each day and is offered in a communal table setting allowing you to mingle and exchange stories with the other guests. Another handy feature is a keypad safe in your room for your valuables and there is a computer for transferring your holiday photos to USB drives which also has internet access.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SimRahOz
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Rio Guesthouse for eight nights. From the moment we were greeted by Marta, I was enchanted by the beautiful decor of the guesthouse,.Marta was delightful, warm and engaging. This made the place feel like home. A highlight of the guesthouse was the terrace overlooking Copacabana beach. The view of Sugar Loaf Mountain to to the left and of Ipanema beach on the right was spectacular at any time, night or day. Seeing the sunset or sunrise from the terrace were so beautiful. The guesthouse was in a great location. close to banks, shops , restaurants and it was easy and quick to get to all the major sites. Marta guided us on the best places to go and organized a trip to a samba club where we saw samba clubs in rehearsal for the Carnival.
Our room was very comfortable with an ensuite bathroom. Security was good with an in room safe, and a doorman downstairs. Breakfast was very good and a great chance to socialise with the other guests,

It was very easy to book with Marta responding to my email in a timely manner. Reservations were confirmed by making a bank deposit and I was very confident of having a firm reservation during high season in Rio. It was a little anxiety provoking to have to pay a large balance in cash for the eight nights however with a bank just on the corner, very close to the guesthouse, we made several withdrawals over a few days and kept the cash in the room safe.

This was excellent value for money in such a great location in Rio during high season.

I am planning to stay there again,

Room Tip: We stayed in the aquamarine room with an ensuite bathroom. An in room safe, A side view of Mount Sug...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DIORAU
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2014

When you are in a foreign country the first thing you want is welcomed where you spend the majority of your time - the place you sleep, recharge and plan your days. Marta at Rio Guest House does that, and then some. She is always smiling and in a great mood and constantly asks how you are doing, what your plans are for the day, while offering suggestions. The kitchen is open all day so if you buy food you have a way to prepare it, Her breakfasts, which come with the price, are plentiful and very good.
Marta's house is beautiful and it makes you feel like you are at home - as long as you live across the street from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There are plenty of places to hang out, but none better than the open terrace on the top floor overlooking Copacabana Beach. You can see Sugarloaf Mountain the left and Ipanema Beach to the right. The rooms and bathroom are spacious and clean.
I don't think you can find a better place in the city at this price point.

Room Tip: There are a couple rooms that view Sugarloaf Mountain.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bradleyj1268
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at Marta's place with out two small children. Marta was very accommodating and kind. The location is excellent, right on the beach and the guest house has a spectacular view. We would definitely stay at Marta's Guest House again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tanyaso
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My girlfiend and I decided to stay at Marta's guesthouse after seeing the wonderful reviews and the competitive prices compared to hotels in the area. We chose the emerald room with the ensuite bathroom after Marta answered my countless emails. The room was perfect for our stay and the shower (with what seemed like an endless supply of hot water) was perfect after a long day of hiking through Rio. The guesthouse itself was gorgeous with the views of Copacabana clearly the highlight, followed closely by the delicious breakfast every morning.

Marta was absolutely amazing! Incredibly warm, friendly, and welcoming. I chose to stay in the guesthouse because I thought I would get some tips on how to visit Rio and not miss hidden gems or go to tourist traps. I was not disappointed: every morning I would tell Marta of our plans and she would happily suggest other items to hit along the way and was incredibly helpful in finding us amazing restaurants within Rio as well as making suggestions on which spots truly captured the Rio nightlife! Truly a wonderful person to know, especially if you don't know Portuguese like us.

I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms with ensuite bathroom are worth the extra money. The Emerald suite was perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple