“Nothing to complain about...”
Review of Stone of a Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio de Janeiro
Stone of a Beach
Berkshire
“Nothing to complain about...”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Reception: As you walk in the reception area is quite big, there are two computers for you to use but I don't think they print, large sofa around the window are and a smal reception desk. You can use wifi too.

Staff: Englsih speaking and so helpful. This was my second day in Rio, I found all staff members to be friendly, gave good advice for on what to see, where to go best way to get around.

Rooms: I stayed here for three nights in an 18 bed dorm (name began with M), its a L shaped room and you're better off staying the one of the bunks closer to the door as the other side is more crowded. I think any room on this side of the hostel is better placed as we had access to three showers, three toilets just outside of the room...all clean and hot water any time of the day. The room was also cheap.

Breakfast: As standard every morning there are trays set up with a plate, slice of cheese, slice of ham, one piece of fruit. You can have as much bread, tea and juice as you want. There is also a big toaster for you to make toasties or toast.

Location: two blocks from Copacobana beach (not even a 5 minute walk), access to all buses and the metro station. Loads of places to eat and supermarkets too.
The restaurant is also great, they have a good choice of food and serve til 10:00 p.m I think.

All in all a good experience

Room Tip: Some private rooms I think may have been small, just ask to see a room before you commit to any part...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank truthfulme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 March 2011

The stay itself was OK. The upsides are the location and the breakfast. Both are great. On the negative side, the private rooms are extremely small, very hot and a bit dirty... I'm sure they're not the worst in the world, but just don't have very high expectations going in. I felt just a tad unclean the whole stay.

The real issue is with the staff. Throughout the stay they were terse at best, but they did do the minimal amount required to help the guests. However, when we checked out (at 3am, oy), we were overcharged. We argued with the desk man for about 30 minutes, but eventually just had to leave to go to the airport. We left with promises that if we contacted customer service we could be refunded. Well, after several calls, weekly emails, promises of a refund, etc, I'm still waiting. It's now March, 4 months after we stayed. Honestly, it would almost have been less frustrating to have just been told "we don't do refunds, you just got taken advantage of. sorry." than it has been to have them make these fake promises over and over again. They'll say "we just transferred the money!" but when a confirmation number, etc, is requested... they will be incommunicado for a week or so and then have some excuse about how it still needs to be sent for one reason or another.

I'm really just disgusted with the dishonesty of everyone I've spoken to since check-out on.

That being said... if you could prepay or have some sort of proof of what you owed (they didn't accept our hostelworld confirmation), the hostel itself is not the best but is fine.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank mramm

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Chilliwack
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We stayed in 4 different hostels on our month trip around south america and this was the worst hostel we stayed at.

It was appealing because of its location. 4 blocks from Copacabana beach, 4 blocks from the subway at a decent price, we were sold.

We arrived and the staff was very friendly but seemed to be disorganized. The lobby was full of people waiting to be checked in and checked out. We were asked to wait an hour so they could get everything organized. The took our bags for us so we could go explore for a little while.

We returned to check in and things seemed to calm down a little. I did noticed that the lobby was full of dirty sheets and towels though. We were checked in and shown to our room. We were told we had to wait till 10pm that night to get clean sheet and towels.
We stayed in a 8 room door. At the time, there was only 2 other people staying in the room, but the floors looked like they hadn't been swept or mopped for a while.
The mattresses on our beds were made of vinyl/plastic but were ripped and dirty.
We had 2 girls move into our room that night as bugs were found in the room they were staying in. The air conditioning in our room was only able to turn on between 10pm & 10am. If you wanted to stay cool during the day, you had to cram into the lobby with everyone else and try and get a seat on the bench they had.

I would classify this as a party hostel. The roof top is a bar that play loud music and offers organized rides/tours to night clubs. Even though there are signs in the hostels that you are not to drink your own alcohol, we noticed that our roommate hid some in his locked and would come in and out at night to get drinks.

Overall, if your looking for a clean, quiet place to stay, please look somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Was travelling in South America and decided to stay in a hostel in Rio for the last 4 nights of the trip - I had called 2 WEEKS in advance and was told a private room was available for all 4 nights.
Flight was delayed and landed in Rio at 2am. Upon arrival at the hostel, the security guard and receptionist were both asleep, along with 3 others guys, who were apparently sleeping on the floor in the 'lobby', which is basically a dirty, poorly lit hallway.
The guy at the reception, who barely spoke any english, was unable to find my reservation despite giving him the name of the room I was assigned, and the name of the girl I had spoken to over the phone who had confirmed it. He knew the girl but apparently she had not confirmed anything, with the excuse that maybe it was because she was 'new'. He then said that another smaller room was available, after running off for 15min to check, and since I was exhausted and fed up of arguing with him, I accepted.
He was then unable to get the VISA machine to work, which I suspect he didnt know how in the first place. As an alternative, he said that I could leave my VISA card or my passport for him, -personally to hold- until the morning...to which I obviously refused.

He then said there was nothing he could do, and I was forced to leave and walk around Rio at 3am, with my luggage to look for a place to stay. I then found a hotel nearby, paid double what the hostel was charging and made the best decision to never to return to that hostel again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JBD_1111
El Calafate, Argentina
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Fun, cheap and very good location. But it could have been a lot cleaner and the air conditioner should be on during the day!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Valparaiso, Chile
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Great hostel for young travellers whose priority is a good location (close to the beach and the nightlife). Helpful staff, great breakfast and security. They had special pizza or bbq night....all you can eat! and it was great, very yummy and gave people a chance to share with the other visitors. I appreciated the fact that the showers and toilets were cleaned often, but they should try to do it earlier, not in the middle of the morning when most are still showering. And Rio is so freakin' hot, that it would've been great if they kept the air conditioner all day, and not only at night!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
dubai
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Just stayed there for 6 nights in both dorm & private rooms.

The Good -
* the bfast is yummy & goes from 9am-12pm. Especially the home made chocolate cake.... Mmmmmn!
* the roof top bar is a great way to meet people, although the staff play their bob marley cd over and over and over and... You get the picture!
* location is great, close to beach, metro and dozens of bus lines
* staff pleasant and helpful
* good price for taxi to international aport - 50BRL
* felt very safe, even walking around at night

The Bad -
* not the cleanest but okay if you have an ensuite dorm
* the football tour is a rip off. 80BRL for ticket, transport & one free beer. They were so disorganised we missed the start of the game and also this meant all the seats had been taken so we stood for the game. And no free beer! The ticket cost them 15BRL, plus if you taxied, you'd save at least 40BRL!!!
* the sheets are old with stains and holes. We had 3 different sets of sheets because of our room changes... All were the same!

The Ugly -
* bed bugs in one of the beds in the dorm we stayed in
* checkin at 1pm yet no sheets available till 11pm! Yes 11pm! And this happened EVERYDAY to lots of people!
* they screwed up our reservation and the hostel was full. Lucky some people hadn't arrived and we insisted we have their room as we had already been there 2 nights and we had already had to move twice!
* incredibly noisy!!! If its not the people staying in the hostel, its the music from either the bar upstairs or the nightclub under the hostel which you can hear the bass through your pillow and then at around 6am the traffic noise starts and hell it is noisy! And that was from all 3 different rooms we stayed in!
* the mattress are disgusting! Need replacing!

All in all I probably wouldn't recommend it! But it was great for meeting people and being social!

• Stayed November 2010