Considering that I stayed here during the world cup.. it would be a bit unfair to criticize the high price paid for a basic backpacker hostel... Rio was amazingly expensive at that time, and this was one of the most affordable places in Ipanema.
Anyway: the hostel is pretty well located, 3 blocks from Ipanema Beach. The place is nice, but the service is terrible. I was staying with friends in a room for 9... which was not really clean and had no a/c. That is something bad in Rio, even though the weather was not hot, but Rio is full of mosquitoes. Therefore, keeping the window opened always meant MOSQUITOES EVERYWHERE. I was bitten completely.
The beds have really bad mattresses, the worst quality I can remember in any hostel in which I've stayed so far. Awful. I could not rest at all due the uncomfortable mattresses and the mosquitoes. BTW, Hostels are noisy and not a place to rest, I know... I love hostels, but when you cannot rest at all because of the uncomfortable mattresses and mosquitoes!.. that is something that has to be told.
The staff: The girl and guys that are there during the day are nice and helpful, but the guy of the evening-night is not someone you can count on at all, even rude I would say. I don't think he could speak any language besides Portuguese.
Other bad thing here are the bathrooms. 1 small and stinky bathroom for the whole second floor (3 bedrooms for 9 persons each). The shower was a joke...
The breakfast was pretty good though.
Overall, I do not recommend this hostel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A few blocks away from the beach and located on the best area of Ipanema, Beach House, its staff and guests have been writing summer stories for more than ten years. Connecting cultures, receiving those who come from a distant place and introducing them to those who live around, here cariocas open their arms to present the taste of endless summer in Rio de Janeiro. The city heat mixes a lot of feelings into enough memories to miss it the whole year. This way, our stories build memories, feelings and friendship so deep and intense that they last a lifetime. The truth is that the sweet, salty taste of the beach make it worth all the other months for those who yearned the freedom of summer, even when it’s winter. Our blessed carioca land has the privilege to live summer for 365 days a year. Without hurry, you can stay and drink another beverage, because tomorrow will be a good day to go to the beach. This way, summer stories happened on January, during the carnival, on a weekend of May, during the Brazilian independence day in September, on the November nights and in all the other days of the year. What difference does it make if it’s Saturday or Monday when the sun waits for us with anxiety and the best parties are still to come? Being a scenario for all stories, in our beach house everybody gets together before the epic nights or by the pool, with feet inside the water and singing that beautiful well-known song. And the improvised foods – many times deliciously gourmetized? Suddenly, the waiter start to serve double of people, who snuggle and share all the stories already lived there. And, all of a sudden, someone can give the idea to climb a trail, to drink one more beer, and even an unexpected romance can begin. This way, hours passes by. More than a dozen stories join many others, and all of them being shared with the new friends. Beach House has been living all of this for more than ten years and it’s proud to be considered in Rio, Ipanema the house of summer stories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Beach House Ipanema reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ipanema Beach House Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Ipanema Beach Hotel
- Beach House Ipanema Rio De Janeiro, Brazil