“Terrible experience when trying to book”
Review of Casa 579

Casa 579
Ranked #64 of 338 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I had a very bad experience when trying to book a stay at Casa579. I got to them through the AirBnB website, then visited their own website to get to know a bit more. I loved the concept and contact them by email asking for availability of place and prices. My dialogue was with a person called Ana -- and began in a very warm way. She explained that there was just one room left, in an annex house, for the fist two days, but that I could move to the main house in the third day. We agreed on that and on the prices. I sent an email asking for the bank info so I could make the transfer to guarantee the room.

They simply disappeared, never answered me. I sent another email later that same day reaffirming that I was interested in renting the room and asking again for the info on the bank account. Ana answered just in the morning of the following day basically to say that day didn't have any room available. I got really upset since I had already made the travel arrangements trusting that the email exchange had made clear that I would rent the room (which was available by then). I sent an email to them saying that and the reply really showed how poor prepared they are (or at least the person who answered me) to deal with the public.

The answer was written in a horrible and ironic tone basically saying that the room is guaranteed only to those who pay for the confirmation (as asked them the info on the payment, which they never send to me) and that the problem was mine because "I had left everything for the last minute". Can you believe that? I never met this Ana -- in my life and she was lecturing me - a potential client - about my behavior as a traveler!

Anyway, I believe the place is nice - taking into account the other reviews - and the social project they sponsor seems very interesting (I work with sustainability and would love to have known it). But I will certainly never try to book anything with them again - and will not recommend to my friends. I firmly believe the quality in the human treatment must be first and set the frame for the rest of the stay. Besides as a person who "left everything for the last minute" I think I am not the kind of traveler they are willing - or able - to receive.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RenatoGuimaraes
Casa579, Owner at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

At Casa 579 we take the reviews we receive very seriously and therefore like to respond and address any issues raised as follows:

On receiving this review we examined the email trail in detail to understand what happened with this guest/situation and would firstly like to confirm that we responded to all the customer emails that we received within less then 24 hours of receiving them, often within minutes of receiving them even when we received emails from the customer in the early hours of the morning e.g. 1am. There appears to be one email that we did not receive which after the customer resent it we responded immediately within 21/2 hours which meant there was still less than 24 hours that had elapsed since the customer sent us the original email, sent it again and we then responded.

Our aim is to respond to all emails within 24 hours maximum of receiving them and we certainly did this in this case so we feel that the interpretation of the situation is harsh to say that we “just disappeared”.

We would also like to explain that we do not confirm a booking until payment of a deposit has been received as we often receive emails from people saying they would like to book but then who go on to change their minds (for many reasons) so as a small establishment the only way we can be fair to ourselves and other people wanting to book is to only confirm the booking once the deposit has been paid either directly to us or via a third-party booking site. We receive reservations through many different sources and the room in question was reserved and paid for in the meantime which meant we didn’t have an alternative to offer the guest as during these days we were already nearly fully booked.

However in reviewing this situation we have identified that in the last emails exchanged with the customer we could have indeed written the email in a more friendly manner and we should have at no point implied that the problem was the customers fault because he had left the booking to the last minute. For this we sincerely apologise and we have addressed this immediately with our staff. Both myself and the staff member concerned will be contacting the customer to offer our personal apologies.

One of the things we pride ourselves on is the staff and their helpfulness and friendliness as can be seen from the reviews on this site and in this case we have not measured up to our own standards, for which we can only sincerely apologise and learn from.

There are newer reviews for Casa 579

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Brilliant location in Sant Theresa. Transport links very good kombi and bus. Breakfast fantastic - fresh cake baked each day, real fruit juice. Very helpful and knowledgeabe hosts. Views of sugar loaf and Christ the Redeemer from lounge.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Stayed one night in late Sept. 2011. Nice place, reasonable breakfast, and very helpful staff. the room and bath were clean and no issue. Santa Teresa has some dogs that bark at nights, but that's probably better than cars and trucks horns.
View from roof is nice and hammocks are hung there. Nearby resturaunt is decent.
Bus connection is very easy/close and frequent considering Santa T. is on its own hill.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We only stayed at Casa 579 one night, but we would have stayed longer, if we could have. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and as described. We were overcharged by the taxi they had arranged to pick us up at the airport, and Carlos (?) at Casa 579 intervened and got us discounted on our taxi going the other way. The views to Corcovado and Pau de Azucar are stunning. The only downside is that it seemed to be on the edge of Santa Teresa, a little distant from many of its attractions, and it is definitely hard to find the place!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I just want to say first up that i have never written a travel hotel review in my life, but feel that Casa 579 is very deserving of my time and energy! From the moment we arrived at CAsa 579 we were provided great information and felt truely at home. Vadir was unbelieveable! He recommended so many great places in the area and beyond to visit, and really made the time to make you feel like a valued visitor. We absolutely loved staying in Santa Teresa and felt like it was a much more genuine experience than had we stayed nearer to the beaches. The view was unbelieveable, I had to pinch myself to think how lucky we were. The breakfast overlooking the trees and great view beyond was sensational! We got to meet some lovely people who were also staying there and I loved travelling in the combi vans into town. It wasnt a hassle at all and made you feel more like a local. I felt safe and looked after and couldnt recommend this property more!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pia707
Reviewed 6 September 2011

While I was living in Rio, a friend of mine recommended this pousada as a nice way to get away from the hustle of Ipanema/Copacabana. I went to visit him a couple of times and was just smitten by the roof deck and the view.

So, when I was looking for a place to stay after I had moved out of Copa, I immediaely thought of Casa 579. The price was right, the view is incredible, the guys are nice and knowledgeable and it's in Santa Teresa! Can't ask for much more. Bar do Gaucho is up there too and their lunch specials are amazing.

If you like Santa Teresa or are just looking for a quiet place to hang out, this is the spot. Thanks Teresa and all the rest!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Big rooms well decorated with wonderful views. Friendly staff, which can always help you.
Safety location not far away from metro station (5-10 min by van). Tasty breakfasts. I will return to Casa 579.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple