“Honeymoon Cloud 9”

Gavea Tropical Boutique Hotel
Ranked #226 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at Gavea Tropical Boutique Hotel for our honeymoon in July 2012. Needless to say the Presidential Suite (Room #1) offers the same splendid view offered on the hotel's site. The breakfast included is not your typical continental bkfast, it is far more than that and worth getting up in the morning to savor. You can feed the monkeys sliced bananas! (macacao)

The staff: Ranieri, Marcelo, Matias, Luiza, Tatiana, Eleinha, and John were formidable and made our stay very pleasant. The Hotel's proximity to the beaches of Leblon and Ipanema made it very easy for us to enjoy Rio de Janeiro. Since it is situated just ten minutes away from the beaches, the fact the property is situated in a private condo owned and housing real estate made it rather easy for us to commute back and forth during all hours of the day.

In short, we could not have asked for a more pleasant hotel to enjoy our honeymoon. You will not be disappointed...

-Mr. & Mrs. H
New York, NY

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms in the entire hotel, balcony included. You cannot go wrong with a presidenti...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here for a week just before Carnival earlier this month. I was immeditately impressed with the level of service and care and attention to detail. The hotel is a little out of the way of the main drag, but for me that was exactly what I wanted. The hotel manager is fantastic and went out of his way to ensure I had everything I needed, from excellent wifi connection to a hammock on the balcony. He arranged transport for me to get into the main part of Gavea (which actually only takes 5-10 minutes in the car) and further afield (approximately 15 - 20 minutes into Leblon) and I found this to be reasonably priced.
I was there on business, so I didn't get to do too many of the fun things there are to do around the city, but had a wanted to the hotel staff would have been more than happy to arrange things and offer honest advice on the best / most cost effective way of doing them. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope to go back one day to see the monkeys! (they were a little shy while I was there)

Room Tip: Only 5 or 6 rooms and all have lovely views over the city, including Christ the Redeemer, which is l...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SeeEBee
Reviewed 22 November 2011

beginning of October I stayed again for 12 days at Gavea tropical. And it was as amazing as the first time. This time I even had every day by breakfast the company of the little monkey's that live in the forest in the neighbourghood of gavea tropical. a real show everyday. there so cute! like last time again staff was very attentive and nice and everything was perfect. the weather was not as nice as last time but well, you're in RIO so who cares .On request they also organise dinner for you and it is really good. loved the chicken stroganoff.
I hope I can come again soon to have my dream come true part 3

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank pascale39
Reviewed 21 March 2010

The hotel is near Ipanema Beach in a secluded, quiet location. It is also adjacent to Rocinha, and a member of the staff took us on a tour, but we never felt unsafe (another reviewer said that s/he worried about this). A car and driver are available for excursions for the same price (or better) than a taxi, and the owners John and Elaine are very kind and helpful - Elaine helped us find tickets to the Sambadromo for the same day (during Carnaval) when everyone told us that was impossible! Lavish breakfast served on the terrace.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JHC2010
Reviewed 19 March 2010

At the end of January I stayed 12 days at gavea tropical. I don't have words enough to describe this hidden pearl. they only have 6 very luxuoius rooms so it is very personal and they take care of whatever question you have. organised siteseeingtrips, restaurants, barbeque at the hotel, interesting places to go... a customer is realy" king "( in my case "queen " there :-) they also have an outdoor jacuzzi, sauna and you can have wonderfull massages as well. they also have bicycles so if you want to be a little active and explore the neighboorhoud by bike that 's also possible. it's a little hidden from the busy centre but by taxi, which they also arrange, you reach beach, centre in about 15 minutes so you can enjoy the best of both worlds. breakfast was also very personal and nice as well as lunch and dinner. All the rooms also have a kitchen so you also have the freedom to fix something yourself and there is a barbeque also available. I can go on and on about my stay there but just look at the pictures and convince yourself. I had a fantastic stay in the room I dreamed off , fantastic weather , fantastic food, extremely nice people, great shopping, lovely beach, spa, relax...what more could a girl dream of....defenitly A 10 !!!! And I defenitly will come again...hopefully soon

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pascale39
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Felt more like a boutique bed & breakfast experience. The hotel owners and staff provided extremely friendly and personal service everyday. We liked being off the beach. It was a quick 10 minute cab ride to the beach so we were also able to experience being in a community outside of the tourist area. And with the staff recommendations we felt like we got a more native experience than a touristy one. There were security stands that we drove by on the way but they made us feel more secure and we never felt unsafe at any point. The owners arranged our new years plans and it was an absolutely unforgetable experience. We slept with the balcony doors open everynight and woke up with an incredible view. Breakfast was always waiting whether we got up at 9am or 2pm. Our experience at Gavea Tropical made our trip. We highly recommend it and will be back. Obrigado!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BGQM
Reviewed 25 May 2009

we had a wunderfull stay at at gavea tropicall very beautifull rooms,looking at christ the redeemer from out off my bed,just amazing,nice colonial breakfast,i really recomend this boutique hotel to everyone,the best way to stay in rio,we certainly will go back

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple