If you want to go somewhere completely different & immerse yourself in the local culture, then I highly recommend a visit to/ stay at The Maze Inn in the Tavares Bastos Favela.
The rooms are basic but comfortable, the views over the Favela, Botafogo Bay & Sugar Loaf more than make up for the limited facilities. Remember, this is not your usual Inn, this is in a favela! If you keep this in mind, your experience will be one of the best of your life.
It's the safest Faveala in Rio thanks to all the hard work of Bob Nadkarni, his family & the locals who have worked tiredless to clean up the Favela & take it back from the drug gangs. Keep an eye out for the Elite Police force, The BOPE as they train there. Senor Bill & his lovely wife & children are welcoming & great fun. They will tell you all about the Faveala & the history of the Maze Inn.
Getting around the faveala is great fun, a true labyrinth of alley ways. Use the mini bus or bike taxis to get up & down the hill to the main street. So cheap & it supports the local community.
This is a truly humbling experience. Every one who goes to Rio should visit the Maze Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- National Geographic describes The MAZE as "Unique and Original". Designed and built during 4 decades by Bob Nadkarni (Stanley Kubrick's sculptor-2001 A Space Odyssey). The architecture reflects the Atlantic Forest, the foothills and the sweeping bays which surround it. Situated in a Rio favela, it reveals the source of Brazil's creativity whilst being the safest location in Rio de Janeiro. The MAZE is a family home, family run. It's typical guests are architects, writers, photographers, artists, musicians and adventurous souls. Probably not for anyone with serious mobility difficulties or cat phobia however. The view is probably the finest in Rio. The Breakfast is big. Guest chat'n'mingle is wonderful and stimulating. The MAZE is a fine-art museum with a jazz night celebrated (4 years running) by US DOWNBEAT Magazine amongst the "World's Top Jazz Venues" The owner, ex BBC TV correspondent, ex war cameraman, painter, writer and jazzman welcomes you into his home and his world. The MAZE is a place to lose yourself and find yourself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your The Maze Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Maze Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- The Maze Inn Rio De Janeiro, Brazil