A truly unique pousada in a unique location, run by the equally unique Bob and his family. Genuinely one of the highlights of our travels around Brazil. What Bob has achieved with this place is inspirational.
If you can handle being a little distance from the overly touristic, overly expensive and rather souless (in my opinion) beach areas and looking for a real insight into the real Rio, then this is an absolute must. Besides, the beach is a mere 10mins by metro, time paid back many times over by the alternate benefits of The Maze.
The environment is casual, the atmosphere friendly and the rooms clean and entirely comfortable. Breakfast in particular is a time to sit back, enjoy the view and enjoy the usual eclectic range of conversation topics.
Ignore any concerns around the safety of the area. Not once during our time were the locals anything but friendly and welcoming.
I hope to return to Rio and The Maze at some point, and when I do, I hope to find it exactly the same as the period of our stay.
PS. The view from the top floor double with private veranda is unbeatable. Take if available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- National Geographic describes The MAZE as "Unique and Original". Designed and built during 4 decades by Bob Nadkarni (Stanley Kubrick's sculptor-2001 A Space Odyssey). The architecture reflects the Atlantic Forest, the foothills and the sweeping bays which surround it. Situated in a Rio favela, it reveals the source of Brazil's creativity whilst being the safest location in Rio de Janeiro. The MAZE is a family home, family run. It's typical guests are architects, writers, photographers, artists, musicians and adventurous souls. Probably not for anyone with serious mobility difficulties or cat phobia however. The view is probably the finest in Rio. The Breakfast is big. Guest chat'n'mingle is wonderful and stimulating. The MAZE is a fine-art museum with a jazz night celebrated (4 years running) by US DOWNBEAT Magazine amongst the "World's Top Jazz Venues" The owner, ex BBC TV correspondent, ex war cameraman, painter, writer and jazzman welcomes you into his home and his world. The MAZE is a place to lose yourself and find yourself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your The Maze Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Maze Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- The Maze Inn Rio De Janeiro, Brazil