“Exceptional”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Back from a month in South America and this would have to be the best B&B we stayed in.
The other B&B's were very good but what made the difference here was the owners and Manager and the time they spent making sure each morning that you had a well planned day.
Rooms are comfortable, Breakfast the "best" and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
Set in a good location close to good food with transport to get around Rio close by.
Lance,David & Serge thanks for a wonderful stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ron255100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Arguably the best experience I've ever had in terms of personalised service. I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Asia, Australia, Europe, and in the USA so I think I have a good enough pool of hotels/inns I can compare it to. I cannot find a fault with our stay at Casa Cool Beans in Santa Teresa. It started out with the pick up service that CCB hired for us, the lovely David gave us a quick 15-minute spiel about Rio de Janeiro. His knowledge and passion for the city was a sign of amazing things to come. We were then greeted into the pousada by Sergio, the manager of CCB. He made our stay the most enjoyable and easiest we have ever had in a place where both me and my husband had no prior knowledge of. Sergio thought of everything for us from where to get our money changed, what to tell the cab driver if he refuses to take us somewhere, to where the best feijoada is. He also was so patient with us because we would practice our Portuguese with him. He is a gem!

Then there's the pousada itself. I can only imagine that it used to be an ancestral home because of the wonderful ambience. It's a refuge from the busy streets of Rio. The place is very clean and well maintained and the modern trimmings make it so convenient. It also has a lot of pieces on display from local artists. In fact we had our photo interpreted by an artist named Patricia whose paintings were scattered in different areas of the pousada. A nice souvenir. It's located in Santa Teresa, which in my opinion is the perfect place for couples or for people who want to go back to a place where it's not as busy as Ipanema. You'll be surrounded by local artists and good food cooked unpretentiously and with soul. I cannot describe the place well enough to do it justice.

Thank you Sergio, David, Lance, and staff for making our stay so memorable. Now we know where to stay when we go back to Rio de Janeiro.

Laura

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Rio is a city of contrasts. You need someone to advise you and a place to call home. Within a day or two I felt as if I belonged in Rio. It proved to be a magical week. All the staff were fantastic. I recommend being collected from the airport. I wake every day wishing I was back.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor (third floor) and loved it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 6 lovely nights at Casa Cool Beans. First - locationis was very idyllic in the hills of Santa Teresa - It's a very beautiful setting of narrow winding cobbled streets and stunning architecture. Also it's just 2 streets away from the main strip of restaurants and bars where live music is played all weekend. The local bars and restaurants are some of the best in Rio.

We were warmly welcomed by the owner and shown to a lovely, bright and spacious room. Bed was very comfortable, room was clean, location was ideal and staff was lovely and very helpful. And oh, the breakfast was so delicious with all of these fresh fruits, tasty omelette and cood coffee. Try also on fridays home made pancakes, they are suberp!

We were also given a map of Rio and told that we could bring it to breakfast each morning in case we required advice about planning our days out in Rio. This proved to be a very valuable service. Lance and Sergio are very knowledgeable about the city and made fantastic suggestions for a day out taking into consideration the weather forecasts. That was very nice thing to and help us so much - It also save are time a lot.

What else?

We just LOVE this place!

We’d go back for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This was an amazing experience. Cool Beans went beyond my expectations. The owner, Lance, went above and beyond to make our short stay as comfortable as possible. Breakfast every morning was included in the price. There was at least one day we had to leave early to meet our tour group. Lance made sure we still got breakfast which was made fresh everyday. The rooms were clean and came with fresh towels.
The location to the things we were interested in was reasonable. The longest taxi ride was about 25 mins. Cool Beans sit on a quiet street in an old neighborhood which was awesome for us because we were in bed by 1000 each night and had no problems with noise. There was a ceiling fan and air conditioning in the room, but the ceiling fan kept our room plenty cool enough. I will most definitely stay here again. The only issue we had was that there wasn't a public laundry at the B&B, or at least we never saw one. We didn't ask Lance or his staff about it. Would have been nice to be able to wash our clothes before we left because we went straight to another vacation spot from Rio. However, Casa Cool Beans Santa Teresa gets two thumbs up from me.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Redlands, California, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Casa Cool Beans was a lovely place to stay in Rio. Tucked away on a quiet street, with a peaceful and welcoming atmosphere, it has a beautiful patio/breakfast area overlooking the city as well as the pool. The breakfasts were delicious and the staff were very friendly. Lance and Sergio had excellent suggestions about things to do, places to eat, etc. that were very helpful in planning my stay. They provided maps of the area that made it easy to find cool things to do in Santa Teresa and the rest of the city. The Casa was a 10-15 minute walk up to Largo de Guimaraes, with lots of restaurants, shops, music and such. I'm already planning a return trip!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Schaafheim
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Lance, Sergio and stuff did everything to make our trip perfect. We are a choir of 21 women. 16 of us stayed at the Casa cool beans. The room, the breakfast...everything was fine.
They gave us all information we needed...Thanks for all.

Good and safe place to stay in Rio.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends