“Great Stay”

Ranked #1 of 332 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Right from the initial booking, the correspondence with CCB was very prompt; some links they emailed us to check out and get to know Santa Teresa and Rio were helpful. The service and hospitality provided by Lance, Sergio, David and their staff is exceptional. The room was clean, and comfortable, and esthetically pleasant (heavy wood, stone, greenery). There was a great variety of things at breakfast including Tea/coffee/juices,breads, meat, cheeses, fresh fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple - very juicy/ sweet were our favorite), yoghurt, cake and made to order eggs, which were perfect and fueled us for a lot of walking. Lance would get with us in the morning during breakfast, and help us organize our day. We had some great conversations with him and other guests during our stay. It is about a 20 min up and down walk from the Gloria Subway station, which we did daily (to compensate for all day grazing of brazilian snacks, and caiprinhias :). The taxis to Lapa were around 11-20 BR. Kudos to CCB, our 3 day stay was perfect, and we would definitely recommend it for "beyond the run of the mill hotel stay". Thanks so much guys! Y & S.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smallwrld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Lance and serge went out of their way to make our stay the best. Fantastic breakfast to cater for all tastes and couldn't do enough to organise use of any spare time we had. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this establishment or it's beautiful surrounding. I took my 21 year daughter and we both had a marvellous time

• Stayed July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My brother and I stayed at CCB for nearly two weeks during the World Cup and it was an amazing experience. As mentioned in many of the reviews, Lance and Sergio were very helpful in all aspects of the trip from start to finish. I'm not sure I've ever met owners who are as engaged in the every day operations of the business.

As an added bonus and a testament to Lance, he really went the extra mile for me. When I originally booked my reservation, the bank accidentally sent two wires to CCB. Lance went out of his way to assist me in reversing one of the wires. Additionally, tragedy struck when I arrived and I lost one of my World Cup tickets. Lance connected me with a family staying in CCB who gave me a ticket to the Colombia/Uruguay game.

I can't say enough good things about CCB. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Lance is very helpful with Rio trip planning and the property is attractive. We loved Santa Teresa for its local charm, especially in the evenings but it is out of the way from the other parts of Rio and takes some taxi planning. The room was large but nor overly impressive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicaCasey
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

In the top 3 places I have stayed ever. Santa Teresa is the best spot in Rio with great bars and cafes we were so lucky to find it. And Casa Cool Beans is a wonderful place to stay. The setting is peaceful and our rooms were very comfortable. Breakfast on the terrace is the way to start the day. Best of all though is the hospitality of Lance, the owner and Sergio, the manager. Nothing was too much trouble and they helped us get the most out of our stay.
If we go back to Rio I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
Peter Jones July 2014

Room Tip: All good but the one with the private terrace and, I think, no 7 at the top of the house are best.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Just got back from an AMAZING time in Rio for the World Cup and some sight seeing. We went to catch a game (not huge soccer fans but wanted to experience it), and see the sites in Rio. We were lucky enough to book Casa Cool Beans in Santa Teresa. Just to give you a feel for our personalities, my boyfriend and I (27 and 28) and my mom (60) went, we are not high maintenance by any means but also weren't looking for a budget option either.

Casa Cool Beans was perfect! First of all, Lance (owner), Sergio (manager) and the rest of the gang are FABULOUS. They are super friendly, helpful, and happy to help you plan your stay day by day if need be. It felt like I was visiting friends more than a hotel experience. CCB has something like 10 rooms, and the office closes at 3 during the week (I think earlier on the weekend), so its definitely NOT a full service, concierge at the door to greet you at 2AM, order room service, etc. kind of hotel. But they have an awesome breakfast until 10:30 (Sandra makes some killer eggs, and there's a great spread of fruit, breads, etc.), are happy to do whatever they can to accommodate you, and the crew is at your service while the office is open, which is more than enough time to ask questions and plan your day. The property is beautiful, and gated, so no worries about safety there. We would often walk back from Largo do Gumaraes or Bar Gomez (both must sees while you're there), well into the night, never feeling unsafe or worried. A word to the wise, Santa Teresa is HILLY, and CCB is 3 flights with no elevators (the staff will help you with your luggage). I am from Florida, where the biggest hill in the state is approximately 3 feet high, so we are not used to all the ups and downs. Although there are a lot of [steep] hills, they should also not deter you from staying here unless you have a severe issue. I was a bit wary when booking because I have rheumatoid arthritis and my mom has some issues with her knees, and we were fine staying here.

The place is gorgeous. We stayed in two separate rooms (we took a trip to Iguazu in the middle of our stay and booked a different room upon return due to availability). Both were great! They both were uniquely decorated and had different things to make them special. Our first room (#4) was awesome (our favorite)-big, two queen beds with a separating curtain, and soaking tub. Our second room (#2) was split level which was awesome because of the privacy and space. Both had mini fridge stocked with snacks and drinks (mini bar style), fan, A/C, shower, table and chairs, etc. I would imagine each room is special and has its own little funky touch. Both rooms we stayed in were great because the space and privacy helped alleviate tension that sometimes arises in cramped rooms.

Other than the world cup, we had no set itinerary when we arrived other than wanting to see the iconic Christ the Redeemer. Lance sat with on our first day and gave us a detailed overview of Sta Teresa and how to get around, as well as Rio as a whole. He gave us the dos and donts, must sees, and educated us on the not-so-safe areas. He also helped us pick which things were more worth seeing than others. Some mornings we would run our plans by him and see his thoughts. We had a great time and his suggestions were all spot on! We ended up doing Christ the Redeemer (4:20PM reservation was awesome-really packed but beautiful photos-daylight, sunset, and night with Christ illuminated), Fan Fest for some games, Ipanema, Copacabana, Sugar Loaf, Centro, and Cook in Rio cooking class (amazing and a MUST if you have time! Simone is awesome!). Lance and Sergio both were instrumental in getting all of our plans organized, buying tickets in advanced, making reservations, etc.

As far as location-Sta Teresa is a bit removed from the hustle and bustle (which we appreciated, as we all were happy to come back to peace and quiet where we could relax and sleep). With that being said, you will have to get in and out of the area to see the sites. CCB is happy to call you a taxi if you like. Otherwise, there is a taxi stand about 5 mins walk away, and they can (or a better word may be "should") take you anywhere you want to go. You can also grab a cab (about R$10-15) to the Gloria metro station (R$3.50). The metro stations are clean and safe, and Lance can tell you of the less-safe stations, etc. There are also buses (R$3) that can take you to and fro. The cab situation is tricky-by law, they are not allowed to deny you a ride. But as a foreigner with a huge language barrier, what else can you do but give them the stink eye and move on if they say no? I say this because many times they don't want to come to Sta Teresa (bc they don't know the area, bc it is far and they likely won't have a return fair, etc.). But usually we would only have to ask 2-3 times before we would have a taker. Definitely memorize "Largo do Gumaraes," because none of the taxis we got in were familiar with Sta Teresa, and this was generally the only landmark we all could recognize. It works out great though, because its about a 5-10 min easy walk to CCB, and all the restaurants and whatnot are in that area anyways.

We all really enjoyed our time at CCB. I can't say enough about this place. If you have the opportunity to stay here, you definitely should take advantage!

Room Tip: Room #4 was our favorite!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Laurin P
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Wow! My wife and I stayed at Casa Cool beans for 10 days during the 2014 World Cup in Rio de Janeiro. It was a wonderful treat to call Casa Cool Beans our World Cup headquarters. It is located in Santa Teresa and is in walking distance from some great restaurants and hangout bars. Lance, the owner, and Sergio, the manager, were resources supreme. They made recommendations of places to see, things to do and all were spot on. They called taxis for us, gave safety recommendations and were all in all wonderful hosts.
The breakfasts were great, including many fresh fruits, individual omelettes, fresh toasted buns (don't start on them you won't be able to stop), fresh fruit juices, coffee and ice cold water. Ummm, good. You must walk down to Bar do Gomez and have a Caipirinha and to Bar do Dominero and have the Feijoada. Yes, you will be feeling good after a combination of the two.
If you go to Rio, don't stay in a big hotel when you can stay at Casa Cool Beans.
Tom and Carolyn Young