“Unlucky me!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lagoa
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were anxious to know this restaurant. You have to make reservations, it's always full. Well, we went there on a rainy friday night (I suppose that's why we found the places). Small place. About 10 tables. Nicely decorated, but not exceptional. We sat, they brought us a rustic bread, and some "biscoitos globo", typical salty biscuits ambulants sell in the beach!!!! Very poor, what a lack of imagination! They have two kinds of menus if you want to have a degustation night: Confiance (6 dishes, they choose) 390 reais per person with wine and Criação( 4 dishes you choose), 260 reais per person without the wine. We chose the Criação Menu. I wasn't lucky with my choices and found it rather boring. Foie gras a little bit too much well done, with a kind of toast that was burnt. Sweet and sour sauce. Then a shrimp risotto, that was good. Then a ate a caille, with sweet and sour sauce.Then I had a maigret de canard (too much well done again!) with a few endives, unrecognizable, and a sweet and sour passion reduction sauce. I was fed up with sweet and sour sauce! The portions were too big for a degustation. At the and of the course I couldn't eat . For dessert, the Crepe Passion which was very good, but again, very big. My son had a feuilleté de pommes completely forgettable. It was very expensive and I think it was not worthwile. Nothing was sensational, neither the atmosphere nor the food. Some waiters seemed to be beginners. The next 2 days, I had digestion problems. I won't be back again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed 17 May 2014

All dishes we tried were excellent, cooked perfectly and with flavours that were simple and beautiful
The giant ravioli was simply amazing
I doubt there is better in Rio

Only criticisms would be
- Way too much Foie Gras on the menu
- The restaurant was ridiculously cold for some reason and the staff were slow to respond despite several diners complaining

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked this restaurant as an end of holiday treat. It had been reviewed favorably in a couple of UK Sunday magazines. I actually booked in Italian as the woman takinb the booking did not speak English but there was enough of a similarity to Portuguese and iIalian to understand what i wanted! The Drive to the restaurant was fraught as a thunderstorm turned the 2 mile trip into a one hour taxi ride. However the staff there immediatley relaxed us and put us at our ease. The place was full but everything worked like clockwork. We had a tasting menu paired with wines so just left what we ate to the Chef. They did vary the menu slightly on a couple of courses as my girl friend does not eat red meat. They did this on the fly and matched the wines to her new courses excellently. It was truly impressive. As each course arrived an English speaking waiter appeared to give us all the information we needed. They actually refilled our glasses as required rather than limiting us to one glass per course and they did not charge us extra for this. The star course for me was pulled pork which was then seared absolutely delicious. At the end of the evening the head chef came into the restaurant and had a few words with us. It is an expensive restaurant but you do get what you pay for so if it's a special occasion then it is worth pushing the boat out.

2  Thank Doug P
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have been a frequent diner at Olympe for more than a decade. Since Claude Troigros' son Thomas assumed executive control it has grown even better than it already was. As a worthy member of the Troigros family of stellar restaurants Olympe never disappoints and always has a Brazilian flavor making the French experience slightly exotic. The polvilho served with bread have a slight curry taste and are addictive- bizarrely for Brazil the bread is served without additional charge, yet another reason to love Olympe! They now serve lunch Monday to friday 12:00-16:00 at a R$125 prix fixe including starter, main and dessert, one of the all-time bargains in a city quite short of them. I could go on endlessly but I will mention one of my favorites, rabbit- served with a unique slightly forestier-style sauce and baroa (a popular Brazilian potato-like root vegetable). Really it is impossible to make a bad choice here. Olympe is a small restaurant, located on a quiet street in Lagoa. As Michelin says: "it is worth a trip", and would have three stars just as the French Troisgros restaurant does in Roanne, run by Claude's brother, Michel.

Don't miss Olympe when you're in Rio!

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

France meets Brazil in Rio.

Gourmet French food with a Brazilian twist.

This is not cheap but we can away feeling it was worth it.

Owner proprietor was in residence as came and spoke to all tables.