A very memorable stay: extremely negative prior to arrival, very positive after arrival.
The place is great but you need to be extremely wary of the reservation process because they tell you one thing but do something entirely different. They will take your money without authorization, refuse to give it back and then argue with you about it in a very aggressive way.
Specifics: the website specified that a credit card was needed to <guarantee> the reservation and that the cancellation policy was 2 days prior notice. This was throughout the reservation process and in a confirmation email following the reservation. However, Toca da Coruja had actually <taken payment> of 50% of the total stay and informed me that the cancellation deadline was 30 days (which then meant that I was tied in and could not get any of the money back). We all know that “guarantee with card” does not equal “pay up now”. In addition, the paperwork clearly said I had 100% remaining to pay on arrival. When I questioned them on this process they simply said their policy is different from their website and dismissed my concerns. I believe it is not the traveller’s problem if their own website does not reflect their own policy; acting under different terms and conditions than those disclosed to the purchaser is dishonest at a minimum (and usually illegal).
This drama made us really concerned so I asked to shorten our stay, which they allowed me to do. One would think, however, if their policy is to take 50% payment, they would adjust the 50% but, NO, they refused. They retained the initial payment (which was by then much higher than 50% of the stay) and did not refund the excess.
Based on this aggressive behavior, we checked in with trepidation, fearing further improprieties and sleights of hand but encountered no further problems. The staff are actually really helpful and friendly. The pousada itself is magical, tranquil, stylish and comfortable. At breakfast you must try the tapiocas made to order – we liked tomato, cheese and oregano. And the creamy avocado pudding. Don’t miss the sagui (funky little monkeys that cavort in the trees). We enjoyed caipirinhas and evening bonfires by the pool. Free wifi throughout the property was fab. Many special touches.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pousada Toca da Coruja is located in a paradisiac beach in the north-east of Brazil. The hotel was built in a Portuguese architecture style located in 25000 sq m property surrounded by beautiful gardens and moments away from the beach. There are plenty of trees, palms and plants native to this region of Brazil in a harmonious environment for your relaxing or romantic holidays. Our sophisticated and elegant decor was carefully sourced by the owners in antique shops. Our comfortable rooms are in bungalows each with its own whirlpool. 12 of our spacious rooms have a private solarium where the whirlpool is located. Our staff is happy to prepare the whirlpool for you where you can enjoy a tranquil bath. During your stay with us, you can hire a buggy or a bicycle to enjoy sightseeing the beauty of the region and its many beautiful and unspoilt beaches. If you are more adventurous this is a paradise for surfing and kite surfing. If you prefer to have a quiet time, you can enjoy the ionized water pools in the garden, a perfect place to read or have a nice drink by the pool bar. There are fantastic beaches around us! We are a few metres from Praia das Minas where you can swim alongside dolphins. Now, if you like a well balanced combination of partying and relaxation, Pousada Toca da Coruja is strategically located near restaurants, bars, shops and night clubs. When the time comes for some peace and quiet come back to Pousada Toca da Coruja to enjoy a sauna or just lay in a hammock and watch the birds and the marmoset monkeys play or just contemplate the vegetation. Restaurant Oca Toca - is a delicious gastronomic restaurant set in within our premises. Our chef Wagner Aguiar will present you with the best in culinary in contemporary Brazilian and regional gastronomy while Isis Ribeiro, our sommelier, will harmonize with the wines she so perfectly chose for our cellar. She will add a little mystique to your senses! The ambiance is completed by lights, music, flavours and scents in of nature. Beach Bar - Yahooo! - Enjoy our beach bar at Praia das Minas. We provide transfers to and from in our cars. Minas Bistrot - Pousada Toca da Coruja has a bistrot at Praia das Minas, one of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil. Bistro das Minas is an exclusive and charming restaurant overlooking the sea, where the landscape is unforgettable Our cars will take you to the restaurant and bring you back to the hotel comfortably after you have enjoyed your meal specially created for the place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Toca da Coruja reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada Toca Da Coruja Hotel Pipa
- Pousada Toca Da Coruja Pipa
- Toca Da Coruja Praia Da Pipa, Brazil