Jackson Hole Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Alpine
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jackson Hole Outfitters has been providing customized trail rides in the Greys River area of Wyoming since 2007. Not only do we provide half day and full day rides you can also stay overnight in our wilderness camp to complete your outdoor adventure.
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My husband and I booked a full day trip for our honeymoon and Grant was kind enough to take us out himself (just my husband and I). What an amazing day we had. Grant took us up a "trail" that had barely been used. The views were majestic and we were the only people around for miles. Though it was a 6 hour ride, it felt like 2---the two of us were in awe most of the time, quietly taking in the beauty around us. Grant was willing to answer any/all of our questions and he and his dog, Champ, were wonderful traveling companions. We felt like Grant went above and beyond to make the ride special for us, even taking pictures for us whenever we asked. Our only regret was that we forgot to take a picture with Grant and Champ at the end of our trip. :( Oh well, we'll have to save it for next time! We truly will never forget this ride---the waterfalls, the mountains, the open fields full of flowers, crossing the creeks, and just taking it all in. It was like nothing we've ever experienced (or probably ever will) and we felt quite lucky when we were done. We'd highly recommend it!

All reviews
in 19 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We just got back from our two week trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone. This ride was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

I was looking for a fun trail ride for my family (me, the husband, a 7 year old and a 3 1/2 year old) and it was difficult to find a place that would allow our 3 1/2 year old to ride other than in a small pen. From the first moment I spoke to Grant, I knew this was going to be a great experience. Grant was very friendly and helpful on the phone. We met in the town of Alpine and followed Grant up a dirt road for a 20 minute drive in the Bridger National Forest until we reached their camp. There, the wranglers Mark and Jen, took over.

Mark and Jan were really great with the kids! Safe but fun. My daughter was a bit scared at first, but they put her right at ease and were patient with her until she felt comfortable enough to get on the horse by herself. Then we began a beautiful ride though the forest, over a creek and through stunning nature at its best. Along the way, we shared stories with Mark and Jen and got the sense that they really loved what they were doing and this wasn't just a job for them "leading the tourist on a trail ride." We never felt rushed, and they told us so many interesting things about where we were and what we were seeing. After a while, we felt like we were just on a ride with friends.

When we got to the turn-around point, we had a few snacks and let the kids run around in the forest and play in the creek a bit while the grown-ups continued to chat. The views on the way back down seemed so different than the way up even though we were just backtracking - truly stunning mountain views!

I would recommend a ride with Mark and Jan anytime. Super experienced and could not be nicer. We just hope they are still around when we eventually go back. They truly made this ride special. THANKS!

1  Thank cristina m
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My family had a great experience riding through the National Forest. Alpine is about one-half hour from Jackson, but the trip was worth it. We had two guides for four people on three horses. my five-year-old was able to ride in a buddy seat with my wife's horse. When my nine-year-old had difficult controlling her horse, she got the help she needed to keep riding.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We wanted a trail ride that was NOT nose-to-nose. Jackson Hole Outfitters out of Alpine, WY gave us a customized ride on well-behaved mountain horses, led by an entertaining, amiable wrangler, Mark. Although these outfitters offer rides for all abilities & ages, they accommodated our request for an all-day ride with elevation gain, only 2 riders, and the chance to get deep into the Bridger Teton National Forest. By lunch we were riding along the ridge-line (elevation about 8400 ft) of the Middle Ridge Trail, surrounded by mountains, wildflowers, and a view of the Grand Teton (about 50 miles to the north). That defines a "peak Wyoming experience" in my book: wide open spaces, isolation, and snow-covered mountain vistas. Since we saw no other humans during our ride, we were comforted knowing that Mark carried a sat phone, just in case. Our ride was a mix of open meadows and wooded trails - all very green and lush. Even the classic WY sage grouse flew out of the sage, completing our Western experience.

BTW, none of this is "touristy." We started in a genuine outfitters camp, complete with a campfire, cabin tents, flush toilets, hot shower, and a dining tent, where we made our lunches. Peeking into one of the tents (with beds/mattresses), I could just imagine the fall hunters, waking up early to saddle up and bag their elk. Pure Wyoming.

1  Thank Dakota F
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My husband and I booked a 1 day trail ride with Jackson Hole Outfitters in June 2011. We chose this outfitter because the ride was described as a custom ride -- meaning that it would not be one of those "nose to tail" group trail rides and we would be allowed to stop when we wanted, get off the horse when we wanted, etc.. This outfitter exceeded our expectations from start to finish. We were the only couple and we had two excellent guides -- Rob and Mark. The horses were very good and well behaved (not like some of the group trail rides where all the horses want to do is eat grass). We were not limited to a "defined trail path" like so many group rides are. It was absolutely WONDERFUL!!! Our guides took us into the Bridger-Teton forest to about 11,000 feet. Beautiful scenery, wonderful ride -- and it truly was custom. It's been a while since I've ridden a horse and so I needed to stop and stretch my legs about every 1.5-2 hours. The outfitter never had a problem accommodating what we wanted to do. We could take pictures while riding the horse too! (I've been on some group rides that would not allow pictures because it might spook the horses). Jackson Hole Outfitters is a class A++++ operation. We had an awesome experience. Thanks!