“Not as good as I remembered.”

Flying Saddle Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alpine
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We had stayed in this hotel twice in the past and would have given it 5 stars on those trips. On this trip it was disappointing. The room smelled like cigarettes and the shower was pitiful; no water pressure made it like showering with a water pic toothbrush. They had added a beautiful pool which the kids loved and the showers there were good so I showered there rather than the room. The staff was wonderful and the setting is fantastic. Jackson Hole is way too crowded and overpriced so Alpine is a great oasis in that respect. The kids wanted to swim so we skipped the restaurant and bought fried chicken at the local market instead.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Pharmerbly

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the FSR the second week of June. It was great value and not a long drive from Jackson (36 miles south, all on a nice highway running parallel to the Snake River). I was often the only guest around! A room on the second floor overlooked the Snake River (more narrow than I thought as it gets ready to enter Idaho), just past the parking lot. Mountains were just beyond that. I sat on the balcony and watched deer and elk on the sides of the river, and at night watched a fantastic storm with lightening!

Marina (dining room), Kim (reception), Nicole (front desk), Sessily (shop and "drive-thru" liquor store) and Eric all were super helpful. The summer staff of European students was all very friendly too! I arrived at nearly 11 PM and, although the lobby was closed, there were clear instructions and my key waiting for me in a secure location. The room was large and very clean. Parking very close to my room (straight down from my balcony).

The breakfast buffet was a little limited, but I likely arrived after the busload had eaten. Coffee was complimentary, which is what I really needed. Good French toast, etc. Dinner menu featured a good selection. If the dining room was busy, eating in the bar was an option too.

Grounds were spread out and nicely landscaped; tennis courts and pool were centrally located. Lots of flowers and birds. The only time it got noisy was when a busload of guests pulled in about 11PM and there was lots of loud chatter as they all made their way to their rooms. It quieted down quickly, and I never heard them leave in the morning.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor on the river side are nice. Cabins looked cute and would be super quiet!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Holeymolee
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our rooms overlooked the river and the mountains. Great food in the resturant. Staff very nice and accomodating. The hotel is beautifuly decorated. Great value and the grounds are nicely kept. A young summer worker helped us with our luggage to a great second floor room.

Room Tip: No elevators so ask for lower floors if you have lots of luggage.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wanda-Raymond
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised at this resort. Not among other places but was great. Beautiful setting on the Snake river with lounge chairs out back to enjoy the scenery. Pleasant front desk and very helpful. Great hot tub and other facilities, basketball, tennis, pool. The restaurant and lounge was very nice with great food and drinks. Restaurant only open on Sat. and Sun. Lounge open every day and still serves the same menu. Great price. We saw moose ---- right in front of the resort playing in the sprinklers. It was great. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms to the left of the office are by themselves and is where the moose came to feed. What an expe...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sealou711
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in a cabin at this resort and were so pleased we stayed a second night. Our cabin was very charming and we loved having a patio outside all to ourselves with pretty flowers to gaze at. Having the river close was awesome, though wish we could have fished from the bank...but it is too high. The resort has a grocery, liquor store, and items you might need right there for purchase. We ate at the restaurant for three meals -- all of which were very good. It might be a bit pricey, but my husband and I were on 11-day trip and this is the only place we stayed more than one night. Very comfortable and Alpine is a wonderful, beautiful little town. we did end up fishing in the Greys river! :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sherri O
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Spent 2 nights here with my wife and we enjoyed our stay. The room was exceptionally large, but sparsely furnished. We would have liked a couch or a couple of easy chairs. The employees were great, especially Kelly Stimson. Kelly really made our trip memorable by pointing out the local scenic places to drive to and see wildlife. Kelly works at the check-in desk and although she has only been there a short time she has made it her business to know the area. It's a short drive up to Jackson hole which makes the resort a good place to operate from. Thanks again to Kelly!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 118, but I think all the rooms are pretty good. Never heard anyone complain about...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank irshmgc
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Perfect setting for a hotel. We didn't want to stay in Jackson, and this resort good value and quiet. Lobby area so western. Felt like a park setting with the river right out the door. Highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Request room top floor to face the river. Our room faced buildings and wished we would have known th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank plumas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Cabin Creek Inn
#5 of 40 in Jackson
Motel 6 Jackson
Motel 6 Jackson
#38 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Flying Saddle Resort? Share your experiences!