“Very nice property but pulled a switcheroo on breakfast!”

Flying Saddle Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alpine
Los Angeles
“Very nice property but pulled a switcheroo on breakfast!”
Reviewed 4 September 2009

This is a very nice hotel. The property has recently been redone. The pool and jacuzzi are great and there is also a tennis and volleyball court so I guess it meets the basic definition of a resort. But don't get too excited about the basketball. It is just a single hoop at one end of the tennis court placed high on the fence so that everytime you miss a shot you have to go all the way around to retrieve the ball which takes all the fun out of it. Also, due to it being on the tennis court you could not have guests play basketball AND tennis at the same time. The price was excellent for this expensive area (about $100) although you are really in the middle of nowhere. Jackson is about a 45 minute drive to the north. The views are a bit dissapointing. "Mountain view" really means view of the parking lot, poolhouse and/or road with some mountain the background. "River view" is nicer (no buildings) but it's not a rushing river. It's more of a static aqueduct, at least in August. The only real dissapointment was breakfast. The website implied full breakfast and when I called to ask a few other questions they confirmed that. When we got there it was nothing but toast and cereal. Not even some hard boiled eggs. The waitress told me they stopped full breakfast a week ago (apparently the day after I called). The front desk said she would pass my concern onto the mananger but I never heard a thing. The three of us were really looking forward to a nice breakfast and there's nowehere else in the area to go and we shouldn't have had to anyway. The price was still good for the area and so were the facilites/rooms but I did not appreciate the bait and switch at all and suggest management be a bit more responsible about keeping their commitments. Vacations are a long-awaited treat and people remember that stuff.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MarquisMark22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2009

We stayed here 3 nights while visiting Afton, Wy and Grand Teton National Park. It was a nice quiet hotel away from the crowds in Jackson. We had a river view room which was beautiful. The room was spacious, 2 sinks, one in the bathroom, one outside, lounge chair, and table, bath and body work soap and lotion, the wifi worked great, beds very comfortable. It was about 40 minutes from Jackson, but a beautiful drive. The restaurant was very good, they had a complimentary breakfast there each morning, but only a few items you could choose from. The hotel rooms we stayed in were smoke free, pet free which was wonderful because I have allergies. The landscaping around the hotel was beautiful. The pictures in the rooms and hotel are by the photographer Abi, so beautiful pictures. We had purchased one of his pictures 32 years ago when we were in Jackson. Abi owns the hotel and we did get to speak to him at his gallery in Jackson, wonderful man. Nice indoor pool and fitness room which we did not use, but they looked great. We did use the guest laundry, that was nice to have. If you are visiting the National Parks or surrounding sights, stay here, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank actnew
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Stayed one night as we were on our way to the National Parks to the north. Staff was friendly, room was big and comfortable, nothing intrusive from adjacent rooms, good food at the restaurant. Best unique attribute was the back yard of the motel, .. with grass, trees, and birds galore, situated on high ground over the Snake River with green hills backdrop. My son saw his first cedar waxwing. On the river we had eagles and waterfowl, We had arrived early enough to have a quiet private relaxing afternoon in this gorgeous location.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank Cuzzie
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We spend 2 nights there to visit Teton National Park. It is quite a drive from Alpine to Jackson (about 33 Miles) but absolutely OK. In high season you pay much more for accommodation in pricy Jackson or you drive down to Alpine and stay for less. This is your choice.
We had a nice room, clean, with view to the lake. No complaints here at all. No smell no smoke no dirt.......
The stuff was very friendly and we had dinner there both evenings. We liked the food for a reasonable price. The only complaint was that at the second evening our waitress forgot to bring us water and bread and brought a different side dish as ordered. The restaurant was open until 22:00.
Breakfast was good and a lot.
Unfortunately the pool is only a indoor pool. It would be nice to have a outdoor pool to relax in the sun.
We can recommend this place for somebody who does not mind driving 33 miles before coming to Jackson and Teton National Park.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PB2005
Sinclairville, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2009

When I made my reservations over the phone I was told this hotel was only 15 minutes outside of Jackson. After driving and driving we finally reached our destination. It took us almost 45 minutes. I expressed to the lady behind the desk that I was disappointed that we were so far away and asked to cancel the reservations so we could stay closer to Jackson. I was told that I could not without a charge of the night to my card. She said that the guy that had booked the room had been misleading people and that was why he was no longer there. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that was the policy and the manager would not do anything. So basically your employee lied to get us there and there was nothing we could do about it.

Of course I said well we are here so may as well make the best of it. The next surprise came when she gave me my bill to sign and it was almost $40 more than the rate quoted. Luckily I had written down the rate as well as a confirmation number. She yet again blamed the fired guy and said he had booked us in the newer section that was more and changed us to the older section. My thought looking back, I was unhappy because of being lied to you admitted this has been a problem, yet no offer for an upgrade?? Poor business practice to say the least.

We went to our room and I was impressed with the room. The property is also very nice. Had to walk quite a distance to get to the indoor pool so we were really able to see the property. The pool house was very nice but the pool was so cold that we could not swim. Not that we expect bathwater or anything (we swim in our pool as soon as it hits 74) but this was way too cold.

On the bright side, the rooms were nice and clean. The internet worked well and the breakfast was good too.

Would I stay here again, probably not. I do not like to be lied to and they really did not do anything to help us feel welcome. I never did hear anything from the manager either.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank marcy333
Lancaster
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We stayed two nights at the Flying Saddle, but were very disappointed. We were allocated one of the single storey motel style rooms, the older part of the property. On arrival, after a long journey, we discovered the room had not been cleaned thoroughly - there were bits of food etc. on the floor and a distinct smell of smoke, despite this being a non-smoking room. We gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited for the room to be cleaned the next day whilst we were out. When we returned that evening, the room had yet again not been cleaned, indeed the bed had not even been made or any attempt to clean the bathroom etc. We went to reception to report this. Whilst they were apologetic, they made no attempt to offer to clean the room or put us in another room. The receptionist muttered about telling the duty manager and we expected a call however none came. On the same trip around Wyoming (17 nights) we had excellent accommodation and service; this one was a disappointing exception.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HEATHERandDAVID
Isle of Man
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We had just a one night stay while travelling through to Yellowstone - thought it was a little overpriced and unfortunately, since reading the previous review we can see why, it was absolutely empty when we checked in had the the entire pool to ourselves and even though we had pre-booked some time in advance and paid the $99 rate, the flat screen tv's/dvd's etc were sadly lacking in our room!!
Could do with sorting this pricing/room standard thing out as its hard to reccomend the place with such double standards.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cmoomy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Cabin Creek Inn
#38 of 40 in Jackson
Super 8 Jackson Hole
Super 8 Jackson Hole
#37 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Flying Saddle Resort? Share your experiences!