“Spacious, cleanest hotel we've been in this trip”

Ranked #23 of 79 Hotels in Porto Alegre
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was the nicest hotel we've stayed in during our 15-day 12-city trip. I risk sounding like a snob, but the room was like an American hotel room: big, spacious, clean, comfortable bed, plenty of outlets and quiet except for the traffic from the street below. The street noise pretty most quieted from midnight - 4am. We didn't eat there, so I can't comment on the food, but we slept well (thanks also to the Velcro on the drapes to keep the room dark) and enjoyed the lovely bathroom.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

The website shows a recent re-decorated hotel but it's old, air conditioner doesn't work properly, and hotel restaurant food is bearable. There are not many food places nearby at a walking distance. Only good thing is the rooms are very large. There are better hotels in the same price range.

• Stayed: September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Porto Alegre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Dear Alberto M,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I apologize that you were not completely satisfied on this visit due to the condition of our rooms, air conditioning system, and if your dining experience was sub par. We will use your comments definitely to consider for upgrades needed.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel many times in the last 3 years.
It is well located, good service, clear, beautiful.
They have good installations, good restaurant (buffet style) with good service.
Two areas of improvement that could generate issues:

1-it is very frequent to have in my room bill services I did not consume like: breakfast or frigobar itens.
2-long checkout lines Friday morning because they have just one employee in charge, you will spend from 10 to 20 minutes waiting

Room Tip: Be careful with unused itens in your room bill. Be careful with ckechout line on Friday morning Be...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel is located in a super-boring neighborhood of high-rise apartments. No place you can walk to, and it is too dangerous to walk around at night anyway. The reception staff is grouchy and unfriendly. I stayed 6 nights because booked for me by my hosts.

And something happened at this place that has never happened to me before. It is kind of hard to believe: an attractive young female colleague came to pick me up after I arrived at about 11am. She called me from the desk and I told her to come up to my room to get her gifts from the US. The reception staff told her she could only stay 15 minutes in my room, and if she stayed longer, she would have to pay them about $40 USD. I guess they simply assumed she was a prostitute and wanted their cut. The next day when she came in with me to visit, she asked them if she could only stay 15 minutes without paying and they said she could stay as long as she wanted, so I guess they figured she was not a prostitute. This was really unbelievable. Also, the chair was too short for working, and they had no other chairs. The coffee machine was broken. Expensive ($120 USD per night on Hotwire, breakfast is $25 more). Not worth it at all, stay someplace near the center, like Cidade Baixa.

Pros: bed was comfortable, close to airport

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve H
MasterHoteis, Manager at Holiday Inn Porto Alegre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear Mr Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Porto Alegre. We give the extreme importance to our guest comments as they help us to improve to provide the best guest experience possible We try our hardest to satisfy our guests and we do apologies that our hotel doesn't match your expectation.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed for two nights. The labby is good and comfortable. Breakfast Buffet was excellent, there has a lot of food to choose.
BedRoom and shower room are quite spacious and clean.
The problem is the noise from outside. It is so loud and constant all day long. It is impossible to sleep, enen we were on the topest floor.
We booked about 15 rooms for attending wedding, everyone complained about the noise.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Porto Alegre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear judychicago,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so pleased you found our lobby to be nice and comfortable. I am also glad you liked our breakfast buffet. Your comments encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please accept my sincerest apology for the experience you had due to the outside noise. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again on your next visit in the area.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 3 April 2013

As international traveler, found a general desire to make my stay comfortable. Service was good. However, the food in the hotel varied from fresh to wilted and limp salads, delicately prepared beef in mushroom sauce to filet of beef jerky.
My most profound complaint was the lack of hot water for a shower. When it did warm up, it would vary between tepid to scalding with no warning.
Room was clean and quite manageable for working and when TV went out They promptly came to fix it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnPoa, Marketing Coordinator at Holiday Inn Porto Alegre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Mr Chuck.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Regards

Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed for a show and for 5 nights period. The structure was perfect in terms of comparison between price level and services offered. Rooms were very spacious and clean, personnel available and breakfast buffet rich. I would recommend it especially for business travellers.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
HolidayInnPoa, Marketing Coordinator at Holiday Inn Porto Alegre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear Chemmi,

Thank you for sharing your comments about Holiday Inn Porto Alegre.
We are happy with your satisfaction and hope to serve you again soon.