There is so much to say about this place; good, bad and down right annoying.
Location is a massive win for this establishment. The views over Lagoa da Conceicao are simply incredible, providing a beautiful location to chill during the day or night, read a book, indulge in food or simply drink and socialise. The lake and a beautiful beach are simply minutes away (navigate a steep hill - be warned).
Free Caiprinha (tastes sublime) every night between 6 & 7pm with your guest wristband.
To say this spot is sociable is an understatement. Plenty of open areas to engage in social activities from beer pong to chilled guitar sessions.
One of the biggest plusses is that if you go during Brazilian holiday season (early February for example) this place has a great 1:1 ratio of Brazilians to foreigners. Leads to a great atmosphere.
Quality of food is also pretty decent.
Rooms are HOT. REALLY HOT. SWEATY HOT. If you choose a room with no air-con, you may well melt in the summer.
Prices aren't what you would consider budget, BUT this is Brazil.
The pool was contaminated. A few people had contracted Pink Eye.
Wrist bands act as a tab... pay at the end of your stay which, for those left prudent out there (myself included) encourages reckless abandon. Watch your tab.
Most tours aren't great. In fact, they are quite simply a rip off! Search around or go independent.
Stairs, Stairs, Stairs. If you are located at the bottom of the complex... you'll begin to resent stairs. Plenty of climbing, which does me plenty of exercise.
Staff are completely irritating, especially one Italian chap (who shall remain unnamed but you'll soon spot / hear him). He bullies guests into taking tours, he bullies guests into buying things and he simply acts like a complete pain. Physical abuse and social embarrassment are his favourite tactics. Other staff are ok, neither here nor there.
Overall it was fun. Great fun but watch out for the issues as this place ain't perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Much more than a privileged spot to become a guest, surrounded by exuberant nature, a dazzling view, the Sunset Backpackers offers complete and innovative services , making your stay more comfortable, attractive with lots of fun. We are strategically located at the top of Praia do Mole (Mole's beach) hill, with panoramic view of Lagoa da Conceicao (Conceicao Lagoon), where you can enjoy a beautiful scenery and a breathtaking sunset, just at a 5 minutes walk to Floripa's best beach. We are located in a 3.000m2 area, in contact with nature and with more than 100 different species of native flowers and trees. The structure offers spacious leisure opened and closed areas, pool, hammocks for resting, fire area for special moments around the fireplace, barbecue area, bar with panoramic view of the island's east side and a young and enthusiastic staff to help you with any doubt and information regarding the Santa Catarina island. Besides, we have our own restaurant and bar, the Sunset Resto Pub located at the top of all structure, in a privileged place with an incredible view and climatized environment. The Backpacker's Party Bus, is an American school bus customized, that apart from offering the guests the option to get to know Florianopolis, through tours, offers adventure and fun, like the night life , and discounts in the best parties. A schedule of activities involving sports, ecology, culture and entertainment, with lots of music and fun. The Sunset Backpackers is 100m and 15 minutes walk from the most famous beaches worldwide known as surf spots such as Joaquina and Praia do Mole . Two sceneries among many others, that unite sports, thrill and lots of beautiful people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Sunset Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Backpackers Sunset Hotel Florianopolis
- Sunset Backpackers Florianopolis, Brazil