“Best Hotel in much too expensive Florianopolis...never ever a sofitel...ibis maybe...”

Novotel Florianopolis
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Florianopolis
Beverly Hills, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Being an Accor Platinum Le Club Member I actually would have expected more.....i had actually to book a more expensive room just in order to be eligible for a suite upgrade....never ever heard of this...not in beverly hills,not in bangkok not even in sydney....but in overpriiced absurdous brazil of course. No executive lounge ,just a bad welcome cocktail, smallllllll rooms, yes,the suite was small and smelt of cold smoke. So i changed and it did not help. This is at its best an adagio hotel,never ever a sofitel. 200 us is an assault. 2 nd and very last time in this hotel.
Nice seaviews,windows were soundproofed,floors were scratched. Does it cost so much to polish them? Not as big of a rip off as rio de janeiro but still a rip off.
By the way the girl at the reception was very helpful and the bellboy showed initiative (never seen in brazil,lol)
Resuming....nice views,centrally loated on a 7 lane motorway slash seafront promenade
Too expensive..no need to come back ever
Forgeddaboudidddd

Room Tip: Get a suite and oceanview......
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank adrianmiami
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Bonjour,
We were truly pleased to welcome you and hope we will have the opportunity to satisfy you more on a next stay at Sofitel Florianópolis.
Kind Regards,
Danilo Scheibler,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I joined an event here and it was very good since the nice bedroom unt the restaurant and all support from hotel responsables.
Just one point: Florianopolis suffer from lack of taxis. Take care when you go out (hotel finds to you) because to come back maybe will not be easy to find another.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Curitiba, PR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Despite my previous bad review, I have returned to the Sofitel. The reason is there is no better option at Beira-Mar region (close to downtown). The hotel needs some urgent refurbishing (furniture, TV are old, horrible cable tv system etc). The view from the front room, the bed and the shower are great, though. L'occitane amenities help a lot too!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mitsumi
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Florianópolis. I am very glad that you stay with us. We are truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Florianópolis.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

the hotel is located far away from the beach (even it is in front of sea view). If you are coming for gay beach etc' it is about 45 minutes with taxi.
be aware that the hotel staff speak very poor english.
service, food, quality is very good.
I would reccomend this hotel to friends.
executive rooms are JUSTR THE SAME SIZE as classic room - but with a better view. don't spend your money for upgrade!
breakfast is made by French cheff - and it is very yummi!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eee21189867
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The hotel is decent. For a Sofitel, I expected more, but I guess that when you are in Brazil, the standards of luxury hotels are a lot different than in the USA or Europe. However, I am here writing this review because I am extremely disappointed at how the hotel handled my payment.

I made my reservation through Expedia. Apparently, Expedia charged me for my one night stay when I made my reservation on my cell phone. Once I got to the hotel, I checked in and the young man at the reservation guest asked me for my credit card. I told him that I was pretty sure that Expedia had charged me already for the reservation, but he said that this was wrong and that I needed to make a payment. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and allowed him to charge my card. I took his word that Expedia had not in fact charged me for my one night stay.

Once I left the hotel, I realized that I had been charged once by Expedia and also by the Sofitel hotel for the same night's stay. This made me really frustrated. I tried calling the hotel to ask them to refund my money, but unfortunately they said that they could not help me because I called during the night shift and that the person in charge of reimbursements only works during the day. Now I am going to have to make multiple phone calls and hop through a bunch of phone calls just to get my money reimbursed. Its a shame that a Sofitel will allow for such careless mistakes to happen. If the hotel is going to use a site such as Expedia, they should train their employees to know whether or not a reservation was paid for before double charging their guests.

The staff that works at this hotel are not the most attentive, so make sure you double check your reservations / receipts before you make any payment at the hotel. It is a huge pain to get anything refunded!

Room Tip: I am an Accor Gold member and I felt like I almost had to hassle the hotel staff to grant me an upgr...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bonjour. Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel Florianópolis.
We are at your entire disposal to clarify the situation.
Please contact us by h5947-fo5@sofitel.com.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.